Obama: No more free rides for Cubans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama: No more free rides for Cubans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Obama: No more free rides for Cubans  (Read 4746 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »

The Democratic anti-Cuban bigotry has reached unprecedented levels. Refugees welcome!

I guess you're ok with letting Chinese pour into the country unhindered, since they still live under communism. You know what, let's import all of Zimbabwe while we are at it.

Again, I'm struggling to understand the ideological incoherence expressed by so many here.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »

The Democratic anti-Cuban bigotry has reached unprecedented levels. Refugees welcome!

I guess you're ok with letting Chinese pour into the country unhindered, since they still live under communism. You know what, let's import all of Zimbabwe while we are at it.

Again, I'm struggling to understand the ideological incoherence expressed by so many here.

Cubans tend to vote Republican. They're "one of them." These partisans would be giddy supporters of open immigration with any country whose immigrants voted Republican because they think that's what we Democrats do.
JJC

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »

This is Kathryn Steinle. She was murdered by a criminal illegal alien who was deported 5 times.

You see, even if Obama was successful in deporting criminals, it doesn't matter if they can cross the border again easily.

Why do homes have walls? Because they act as barriers of entry - from the weather, from neighbors, from creeps off the street. They create safety - what parent wants their children to sleep in a wall-less home?

Walls work. That's why they exist.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »

I actually agree with this - Either make everyone play by the rules that Cuban immigrants play by or make the Cubans play by everyone elses rules. This isn't the 60s - we're not in an engagement with Cuba anymore.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »

I actually agree with this - Either make everyone play by the rules that Cuban immigrants play by or make the Cubans play by everyone elses rules. This isn't the 60s - we're not in an engagement with Cuba anymore.
Coming from South Florida, where almost every Cuban American I know is either working/middle class or somewhat affluent, I always thought that it was bizarre that we would turn back boat after boat of arriving Haitian illegal immigrants coming from a country plagued by poverty like no other in our hemisphere. Growing up in my town's majority Haitian corner, I actually have found that Haitian immigrants are more integrated and assimilate easier.

On the other contrary, most Cuban-Americans I know seem to have a blood lust for revenge against Castro but also lack the desire to return and shape Cuba post-Castro. These are second/third generation immigrants who still have a strong identification as Cuban yet have no desire to be part of Cuba. It always sorta annoyed me.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »

As long as they keep voting Republican, they can stay.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »

^^^ This.  I'd like to see the GOP apply their logic to Haitians, who just as badly need the special treatment their Cuban counterparts have had over the decades. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »

I also don't see this as all together that shocking - it's the next logical step after ending the embargo.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »

Sorry, I looked at the first page and  didn't see it. My thread title is better though.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »

It's pretty ironic that Republicans are feeling under the weather about this. I mean even Cubans themselves are drifting themselves from the party steadily.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »

I wish borders were more open generally, but anyone who supports the current immigration rules or tighter controls but opposes this move is just being intellectually dishonest.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »

It's pretty ironic that Republicans are feeling under the weather about this. I mean even Cubans themselves are drifting themselves from the party steadily.

Obama is trying to reverse that drift, it seems.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »

I also don't see this as all together that shocking - it's the next logical step after ending the embargo.

How does this flow logically from that?  It's a completely different issue.  Unless we are saying Cuba is awesome place now?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies