Would you support a government participation of the far-right populist FPÖ ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you support a government participation of the far-right populist FPÖ ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: after the next Austrian federal election ?
Yes, as senior and junior partner
Yes, but only as junior partner
Yes, but only as junior partner and without Strache
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you support a government participation of the far-right populist FPÖ ...  (Read 618 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »

This poll surveys your position on the FPÖ taking government responsibility in the next Austrian government.

Go !
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »

I'm leaning toward "No", because I prefer a government without the FPÖ.

But at some point I guess we need to have the FPÖ in a federal government, because:

i support participation too.

the FPÖ needs to share responsibility .....

I'm absolutely no fan of the FPÖ, but to some extent you are right.

The state of Burgenland is a good example of how it might work: A strong SPÖ with a powerful governor who sometimes takes some right-wing positions to keep the FPÖ there weak. This resulted in the SPÖ getting 45% and the FPÖ less than 15%, allowing the SPÖ to be the dominant party in the coalition and the FPÖ turning into a meaningless secondary party that actually has to do some work rather than bitching around all day.

Also, if the FPÖ never gets any government responsibility it would simply lead to many voters tuning out of the electoral process and losing their trust in democracy. Calling all elections fake and rigged and how the establishment parties do everything to cling to power.

Therefore, I'd support a scenario in which the Kern-SPÖ and a Kurz-ÖVP, as well as a Griss-led NEOS would run a tough election campaign, in which the FPÖ gets decimated to around 20-25%.

Preferably, I would then like a coalition without the FPÖ - such as SPÖ/Greens/NEOS or ÖVP/Greens/NEOS, but it's uncertain if they'd have a majority. I'd also support a coalition only if the FPÖ is junior partner.

Voted "No" for the moment.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »

Freezing out right wing populists (RWP) is counterproductive. It feeds into the RWP narrative about elites, 'not respecting democracy' etc. This is especially bad for social democrats since their base seems most likely to buy into that narrative.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

Option 1.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

You can't discredit those out of power until they've had it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »

They're actually safer as a government coalition partner than they would be if they had seized the presidency, funnily enough. And one of the SPO or OVP really needs a break from government (the last time the OVP was in opposition was the mid-80's) which isn't going to happen unless FPO is brought in. They'll probably ask for some stupid crap, but they'll be contained by the nature of coalition politics.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »

I do agree, but you do know the FPO, in its rightist incarnation, has already been in power right? (And were a hilarious disaster iirc)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »

Yes. One of the best ways to show how phony these extremes parties are is to give them a little bit of responsibility. It would not be the first time the FPO was part of the government, as the 2000-2002 experiment showed with devastating results to the FPO in the 2002 election.   
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

I do agree, but you do know the FPO, in its rightist incarnation, has already been in power right? (And were a hilarious disaster iirc)
Yeah, that was back with Haider. Austria's had a strong far right for a pretty long time now.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 09:30:51 PM by Intell »

No, neither would I support a government participation of OVP, Stornach.

SPO-Green coalition, NEOS in government, if need be. Hopefully this government won't embark on a naive immigration policy, and increase the vote share of the FPO.

This is me as a leftist, that I say that we should oppose a coalition with the OVP, especially when it's been filled with neoliberalism and austerity.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:55:03 AM »

No, neither would I support a government participation of OVP, Stornach.

SPO-Green coalition, NEOS in government, if need be. Hopefully this government won't embark on a naive immigration policy, and increase the vote share of the FPO.

This is me as a leftist, that I say that we should oppose a coalition with the OVP, especially when it's been filled with neoliberalism and austerity.

Wouldn't you prefer a potential SPÖ-FPÖ coalition? (Not very likely to happen but still)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »

Freezing out right wing populists (RWP) is counterproductive. It feeds into the RWP narrative about elites, 'not respecting democracy' etc. This is especially bad for social democrats since their base seems most likely to buy into that narrative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies