Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:26:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada  (Read 5875 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
« edited: January 12, 2017, 10:26:11 PM by Blue3 »

One of the few, very progressive, positions that Trump supports is allowing drug imports from Canada and allowing Medicare to negotiate prices. Both are predicted to drastically reduce the cost of pharmaceuticals in the US.

Not only did Trump support it, but when it just came up in a Sanders/Klobuchar-sponsored bill (also in Hillary's platform), 12 Republican Senators supported it too.

It failed.

Why?

Because 13 Senate Democrats voted to block it:
-Booker
-Heinrich
-Bennett
-Warner
-Murray
-Menendez
-Coons
-Casey
-Carper
-Cantwell
-Heitkamp
-Donnelly
-Tester

At least now we have a list of Senate Democrats in the pocket for Big Pharma.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »

RIP Booker
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »

Not surprising for Booker... he publically. defending Romney in 2012 against Obama's political attacks on his business record. Booker is also a Wall Street stooge.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

#NeverBooker
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:45:46 PM »

Which republicans voted for it?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »

Yes, they also deserve to be recognized.

I assume Collins, Portman, Paul, and Graham are among them.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:05:23 PM »

Republicans voting AYE:

Boozman (R-AR)
Collins (R-ME)
Cruz (R-TX)
Flake (R-AZ)
Grassley (R-IA)
Heller (R-NV)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lee (R-UT)
McCain (R-AZ)
Paul (R-KY)
Thune (R-SD)

There is already a thread on 2020 POTUS one for this same thing. Can we bring the discussion to 1 thread?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

CRUZ!?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »

https://www.heartland.org/news-opinion/news/the-pros-and-cons-of-importing-drugs-from-canada?source=policybot Look at the deeper analysis section
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »

Disgusting. Primary them all!
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »

Why are we surprised? Booker is all about Booker. He doesn't care about anyone else.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:28 PM »

Good for Bernie for keeping up the fight. I'm sorry now that he didn't win the election.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »

The Heartland Institute is an American conservative and libertarian public policy think tank founded in 1984 and based in Arlington Heights, Illinois, in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The Institute conducts work on issues including education reform, government spending, taxation, healthcare, education, tobacco policy, global warming, hydraulic fracturing, information technology, and free-market environmentalism.
In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question or deny the health risks of secondhand smoke and to lobby against smoking bans.[2]:233–34[3] In the decade after 2000, the Heartland Institute became a leading supporter of climate change denial.[4][5] It rejects the scientific consensus on global warming,[6] and says that policies to fight it would be damaging to the economy.[7]

Global warming[edit]
The Heartland Institute opposes the scientific consensus on climate change,[45] but does not dispute that climate change itself is occurring. Rather, it says that human activities are not driving climate change,[citation needed] the amount of climate change is not catastrophic, and might be beneficial,[46][47] and that the economic costs of trying to mitigate climate change exceed the benefits.[7] According to the New York Times, Heartland is "the primary American organization pushing climate change skepticism."[48] Heartland uses a characterization from The Economist, "the world’s most prominent think tank promoting skepticism about man-made climate change” as a banner on the main page of the environmental section of their website.[49][50]

Wow - Sir, Incredibly disappointing that you are pushing for an article by the Heartland institute.

Heartland is funded by Koch Brothers & Exxon Mobil among several other donors including massive funds from pharma industries
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »

Average Americans don't care. Booker looks inspirational and he has a youthful vision for the country. He has a center left agenda. Period. He's electable. He has no baggage (as I can know from from Newark).
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:56 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »

Why is Booker being singled out? I see a couple well liked dems here on this list
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:02 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 12:01:54 AM by Shadows »

Cory Booker, the champion of Drug safety voted for the Cancer Cures act which severely weaken Drugs safety & FDA. Cancer Cures has many truly fantastic aspects but they hid some really bad features into that!

If it sounds like the bill has been carefully crafted to have a little something for everyone, that's because it has. The 21st Century Cures Act was the most heavily lobbied health care bill in recent history, according to Kaiser Health News. More than 1,455 lobbyists representing 400 companies and organizations were involved—that’s nearly three lobbyists for every one Congress member.

Perhaps most concerning is that the bill allows companies in some instances to run smaller, quicker clinical trials, submit only data summaries rather than raw data files, or dodge having to do trials altogether. For instance, the bill directs the FDA to consider using “real world evidence” when evaluating whether an FDA-approved drug can be used in a new way. That real world evidence could be anecdotes, observations, or other data collected by a drug company that wasn’t the result of a randomized controlled clinical trial, the current gold standard. And in some instances, the bill would have the FDA evaluate “summary level reviews” of drug data, potentially allowing companies to cherry-pick data and hide problems.

Ohh Booker is so concerned about Drug Safety from Canadian drugs many of whom are manufactured in the same factory as US drugs.

People should wait & see what bill Booker introduces to solve this problem.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »

Why is Booker being singled out? I see a couple well liked dems here on this list

I think it's because he acts like the new Obama, but you're right, many other Democrats voted against it.  And let's not forget the Republicans that voted against it.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 12:05:43 AM »

Look @ Booker's tweets after testifying against Sessions. He is the Dem front-runner for 2020 apparently, Obama's heir, the young charismatic black guy. Look @ the phony tweets - This guy hasn't got a realistic bone in his body!

@CoryBooker  Jan 11
“To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men.” ― Ella Wheeler Wilcox

@CoryBooker  Jan 11
"There comes a moment you have to decide: Do you keep quiet or do you stand up." ~Malala Yousafzai

@CoryBooker  Jan 11
“Not only will we have to repent for the sins of bad people; but we also will have to repent for the appalling silence of good people.” MLK
Fusionmunster

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 12:18:22 AM »

New Jersey has few industries. Biopharmaceuticals is one of them. Its no surprise both NJ senators voted against this. Its in the interest of our state. 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »

I find it surprising that you of all posters would ask this question.

You seem to think that Booker is the right pick for Dems in 2020 when he is the exact opposite of what Democrats need. It shouldn't be surprising that he'd be singled out for a questionable vote when practically every media outlet considers him a" frontrunner" for 2020. I've repeatedly said that Booker wouldn't survive a Democratic Primary because he's the epitome of a politician that is bought and paid for. The Sanders wing of the Democratic party will reject him out of hand just like they did with Hillary. He's a plastic neoliberal.

This was a popular amendment proposed by Bernie Sanders, of all people, and Booker lacked the guts to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry.  

Such a stupid move.

Fusionmunster

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »

You seem to think that Booker is the right pick for Dems in 2020 when he is the exact opposite of what Democrats need. It shouldn't be surprising that he'd be singled out for a questionable vote when practically every media outlet considers him a" frontrunner" for 2020. I've repeatedly said that Booker wouldn't survive a Democratic Primary because he's the epitome of a politician that is bought and paid for. The Sanders wing of the Democratic party will reject him out of hand just like they did with Hillary. He's a plastic neoliberal.

This was a popular amendment proposed by Bernie Sanders, of all people, and Booker lacked the guts to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry.  

Such a stupid move.

Our state needs the Pharmaceutical industry.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 12:47:34 AM »

Such a stupid move.

Our state needs the Pharmaceutical industry.

Then stop price gauging the sick.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »

New Jersey has few industries. Biopharmaceuticals is one of them. Its no surprise both NJ senators voted against this. Its in the interest of our state. 

No offense but your state's pharma industry isn't more important than people's health.  Booker and Menendez are depriving a lot of people from being able to afford medicine that is necessary to save lives.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies