Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:30:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada  (Read 5855 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »

Our state needs the Pharmaceutical industry.

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it is), putting your State's interests above those of all Americans is morally wrong in general, and a betrayal of your office as a U.S. Senator.

He's also acting as if other Democratic Senators from states with large pharmaceutical industries voted against the bill when that is simply not true.

MA has arguably the largest pharmaceutical industry in the country, and Elizabeth Warren didn't have trouble voting AYE on this amendment. This demonstrates to me that she has a backbone, and Booker doesn't.

Also, it's not as if Bookers reasoning for voting NAY on this amendment was "it would negatively impact my states large pharmaceutical industry and it's many workers." It was "I unequivocally support drug imports to lower cost but plan must include protections so foreign drugs meet safety standards."

What a BS statement from Booker. Bernie Sanders was absolutely right to call it out in his response:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Booker is sellout. Even Ted Cruz, of all people, voted AYE on this amendment! Am I living in bizzaro world?!

Right, because politicians actual reasoning for doing something is never a good reason that would get them crushed electorally due to unpopularity.

And lol at people being so stupid as to not see a difference between biologically complex drugs that have have the exact right doses, can be easily sold as something else or even faked, etc. to food products.

They have no reasons, and only voted against it because because they're corporate whores of the financial and pharmaceutical industry.
hopper
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 06:38:06 PM by hopper »

[quote author=Confused Democrat link=topic=256389.msg5470785#msg5470785 Booker is sellout. Even Ted Cruz, of all people, voted AYE on this amendment! Am I living in bizzaro world?!
[/quote/]You might see that more than you usually see  I think in the 115th Congress with Cruz,  Paul, and maybe Lee voting with Democrats I think.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2017, 01:18:48 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 01:23:24 AM by Confused Democrat »

Our state needs the Pharmaceutical industry.

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it is), putting your State's interests above those of all Americans is morally wrong in general, and a betrayal of your office as a U.S. Senator.

He's also acting as if other Democratic Senators from states with large pharmaceutical industries voted against the bill when that is simply not true.

MA has arguably the largest pharmaceutical industry in the country, and Elizabeth Warren didn't have trouble voting AYE on this amendment. This demonstrates to me that she has a backbone, and Booker doesn't.

Also, it's not as if Bookers reasoning for voting NAY on this amendment was "it would negatively impact my states large pharmaceutical industry and it's many workers." It was "I unequivocally support drug imports to lower cost but plan must include protections so foreign drugs meet safety standards."

What a BS statement from Booker. Bernie Sanders was absolutely right to call it out in his response:

Booker is sellout. Even Ted Cruz, of all people, voted AYE on this amendment! Am I living in bizzaro world?!

Right, because politicians actual reasoning for doing something is never a good reason that would get them crushed electorally due to unpopularity.

And lol at people being so stupid as to not see a difference between biologically complex drugs that have have the exact right doses, can be easily sold as something else or even faked, etc. to food products.

I'm sure the guy who voted to lower drug safety standards (21st Century Cures Act) is super concerned about drug safety standards. Give me a break!

This amendment dealt with importing drugs from Canada. Canada isn't some third world country without drug safety standards. Canadian drug testing is just as strong as America's, and most Canadian drugs are produced in the same facilities as U.S. drugs.

Also, as another user pointed out:

Sander's and Klobuchar's amendment was only the first step towards paving the way for affordable prescription drugs. If Booker had voted AYE on the amendment, there would have been plenty of time to address any concerns he had about drug safety standards. In fact, Klobuchar has already co-sponsored a bill with McCain called the “Safe and Affordable Drugs From Canada Act“ that specifies how the process could work safely and efficiently.

Is there any other reason why Booker could have voted against this amendment? Hmmm I wonder....

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 02:30:10 AM by shua »

Re-importing drugs is a nice simplistic answer to high costs. The existence of a pharmaceutical industry is not necessarily a bad thing imo.   But it's at least as likely it would cause drug prices to rise in Canada (or even no longer be accessible there) than it would be to do harm to drug manufacturers.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »

This issue can't be that simplistic. Whenever there's left-wing warpath outrage, there's usually an underlying issue that none of them understand.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »

This issue can't be that simplistic. Whenever there's left-wing warpath outrage, there's usually an underlying issue that none of them understand.

What is the underlying issue that resulted in Booker's NAY vote?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

"I have decided that left-wingers are wrong for no reason and with no evidence whatsoever."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

What is the underlying issue that resulted in Booker's NAY vote?

Maybe the fact that you'd have to set up an entire regime for monitoring these reseller websites in "Canada" to make sure they aren't selling counterfeit drugs, for the sake of purported savings that may never materialize. 

US has 10x the number of people as Canada.  Even if the US somehow was able to buy a Canadian supply of drugs for its needs, drug companies would sooner pull out of Canada altogether than lose all those US profits to Canadian price controls.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies