In an academic context, which is a "higher" title: "Professor" or "Dr."? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:45:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  In an academic context, which is a "higher" title: "Professor" or "Dr."? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In an academic context, which is a "higher" title: "Professor" or "Dr."?  (Read 702 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

Professor is just another name for teacher in college, to replace Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms. Anyone who teaches is a professor.

Not uniformly true. "Professor" is the college equivalent to "teacher", but "Doctor" is a title reserved for people with doctorates (obviously.) There are professors without doctorates, hence the title of just "professor."

I'm teaching in College, but I'm not called "Professor".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »

Professor is just another name for teacher in college, to replace Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms. Anyone who teaches is a professor.

Not uniformly true. "Professor" is the college equivalent to "teacher", but "Doctor" is a title reserved for people with doctorates (obviously.) There are professors without doctorates, hence the title of just "professor."

Are you full time?

Half-time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »

Are you full time?

Half-time.

I wonder if there's a distinction. I've never had anything other than full time professors. I personally would refer to any person teaching one of my classes as "professor"

I think it has more to do with the setting than with the amount of hours I work. I teach sections of 20some students who are on average only 3-4 years younger than me, so it's just more natural for both of us to be on a first-name basis. I'd feel incredibly awkward (more awkward than I already do, I mean) if they called me Professor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies