Favorite Poster: Best of the Best (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite Poster: Best of the Best (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -8-
Al Realpolitik/Sibboleth
Adam Griffin
Bacon King
Polnut
The Mikado
Smilo
Kalwejt
Nathan
Flo
Maxwell
ElectionsGuy
CrabCake
Virginia
Southern Gothic
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Favorite Poster: Best of the Best  (Read 2402 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: January 13, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »

I still think Mikado is an underappreciated Atlas gem.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:33:13 PM »

Really? I think he's overrated. He was one of those awful semi-ironic left-wing T***p supporters back in the day, which to me is the strongest indicator of intellectual shallowness.

I don't see many of his posts here, but I talk to him sometimes on IRC and he's a pretty decent guy. That's pretty much what my post was based on.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 01:20:11 PM by Virginia »

I don't know when exactly you realized the errors of your ways, but if it's before January 2016 then you're not nearly as bad as, say, Lief and Oakvale, who stuck to this routine until the Spring or so.

It must have been a long time ago then, because Bacon is anti-Trump, big league. These "ironic" trolling personas are by no means anything I'd ever do, and often I actually find it annoying because it quickly gets stale, but at the same time I remember that coming on the Internet for all-serious, all-day conversation is a pointless endeavor Tongue

I couldn't disagree more. "Setting aside our emotions" when thinking about the bleak future that awaits a 300-million-people country (and possibly the world) is the exact opposite of what we should do. Emotions are what makes us moral beings, what allows us (however crudely and imperfectly) to tell right from wrong. Staying all detached and value-neutral in the face of the prospect of mass poverty, death and destruction is not rationality - it's sociopathy. (And besides, this idea that emotion and reason are antithetical is one of the silliest mistakes in the history of philosophy, but I digress.)

Emotions can and often do make people stupid. It is a dominant system in our brains. You're right, emotions also make us human and gives us character, but one should be able (and know when) to set them aside so they don't cloud our judgement. I'd argue that peoples runaway emotions greatly hurts one's ability to rationally think about important issues and politicians. The 2016 campaign seemed to be excellent example of this. I'd say the way the average person makes political choices seems overly devoid of logic and reason and over-packed with emotion and blind faith.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 02:19:58 PM by Virginia »

but reason without emotion leads to nothing at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'nothing at all.' Emotion isn't needed for an intelligent being to be productive or successful. As a human I'd of course want my emotions, though.

Meh, some overly emotional people do need to separate the two, in my opinion. I've seen far too many people consumed by emotion in politics say/believe irrational things. But, on the other hand, some don't. Also I should note that I wasn't saying have no emotions on this stuff, but rather find a way to be able to think without them, so you have a choice in the matter and aren't perpetually guided by them. That does not mean always think without them - it just means being able and knowing when not to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies