Favorite Poster: Best of the Best (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:34:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite Poster: Best of the Best (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -8-
Al Realpolitik/Sibboleth
Adam Griffin
Bacon King
Polnut
The Mikado
Smilo
Kalwejt
Nathan
Flo
Maxwell
ElectionsGuy
CrabCake
Virginia
Southern Gothic
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Favorite Poster: Best of the Best  (Read 2426 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »

how on earth have Polnut and Flo become so unappreciated??
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 12:15:23 AM by Bacon! 🔥 »

Your talking about "is". I'm talking about "ought". You still haven't answered.

Mikado didn't support Trump, ironically or otherwise - he was simply one of the few people who correctly identified the likelihood of Trump's success very early on and was able to understand the root causes of the entire Trump phenomenon (that would eventually lead to his presidency) back when "serious pundits" like 538 were giving him literally a -10% chance of becoming President. That degree of vision and foresight is absolutely not the same thing as someone jokingly supporting Trump. You're doing an intellectual disservice to all of us by implying he "ought" to not have acknowledged Trump's success just because Trump is an objectionable and terrible person.

It's that head-in-the-sand mentality that caused November's abhorrent election result more than any other factor - so many people who should have known better were in a position to potentially stop Trump from reaching the White House, but they refused to accept the possibility of a Trump victory because it wasn't the kind of thought that "serious people" should be entertaining.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 08:49:37 AM by Bacon! 🔥 »

Antonio -

In 2015 I jokingly made a few hyperbolic/"ironic" pro-Trump remarks because I thought he was a harmless buffoon who had no chance of winning - and at the time I quite liked the the symbolism of how he appeared to be tearing the Republican Party apart from the inside even he simultaneously represented everything wrong with the modern GOP. In hindsight I'm ashamed that I lacked the judgement to take Trump seriously. I completely fail to understand, however, how you could possibly feel justified in calling me "intellectually shallow" for treating Trump like a joke (which he is) before I recognized him as a threat. It's blatant arrogance for you to so smugly insist on your intellectual superiority - and to disregard all input and commentary I've offered ever since - just because you noticed a growing problem a little sooner than I did.

Back to my original point though, which is that your opinion of Trump jokes is completely irrelevant in this situation. Mikado was never an "ironic Trump supporter" regardless of how broadly you define that term. Mikado was probably the first Atlas forum poster to recognize the probability of Trump's success and was a consistent voice of caution/realism even when the rest of us were arguing whether Hillary would have a bigger landslide in the electoral college or the popular vote. He possessed this foresight not because he thought it was funny to support Trump (which is a suggestion that's as demeaning as it is ludicrous) but because he's capable of setting aside his emotions when he examines a topic with logic -- which appears to be a skill you'd do well to master as well.

tl;dr Mikado is the best poster and it appears that you're dismissing his foresight just because you apparently can't understand someone can oppose Trump without compulsively censoring his name
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies