Party Focus Question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Party Focus Question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which would you rather see your party emphasize on the campaign trail: economic/class issues, or social/cultural issues?
Economic/Class (D)

Economic/Class (R)

Social/Cultural (D)

Social/Cultural (R)

Not a D or an R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Party Focus Question  (Read 988 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: January 15, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »

We should through this dichotomy out the window, along with vague polemic uses of the term "neoliberalism."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:35:09 AM »

We should through this dichotomy out the window, along with vague polemic uses of the term "neoliberalism."

There's nothing vague about neoliberalism. It's a very specific, very definite set of political, economic and moral beliefs and assumptions with a very narrow base of advocates (although a plethora of useful idiots) and translating into very concrete policies.

That's a rather vague description for something so specific.

The term over the decades has meant social market ordoliberalism, been used as a broad category including both Austrian and Chicago schools - among others, a synonym for 'Third Way' Blairites and New Democrats , and now whatever this thing is that you are talking about. The term is more confusing than enlightening.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »

Here's a good description.

If I had to take one issue with it, I'd say I wish he gave more importance to the moral tenets that underscore neoliberalism (namely the idea that the value of anything - including human beings - is determined by "the market", ie by how much people are willing to pay for it). This is why you end up with beliefs that the rich and successful ought to be admired, and that the poor are undeserving moochers. It's the ultimate conflation of might and right.

I think using "neoliberalism" to describe all of this has the danger of conflating a cluster of economic theories, particular policies and institutions, and these moral tenets you are describing.  These things don't necessarily run together, and in fact may diverge quite considerably.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies