Which Senators retire in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which Senators retire in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Senators retire in 2018?  (Read 1818 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2017, 09:02:27 PM by Del. diptheriadan »

I'm pretty sure Hatch and Feinstein are going to run. Not sure about Cardin. I also heard that Mendendez may.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure Hatch and Feinstein are going to run. Not sure about Cardin. I also heard that Mendendez may.

That surprises me. It's hard for me to believe the two oldest Senators up for re-election in 2018 might run again, especially because of Feinstein's health problems.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »

I think Feinstein may run one more time in 2018 for a fifth term. She wants to make history. Even if she is challenged in a Democratic primary, she may win reelection because the California GOP is weak.
diptheriadan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »

That surprises me. It's hard for me to believe the two oldest Senators up for re-election in 2018 might run again, especially because of Feinstein's health problems.

She just strikes me as a sort of "Leave in a Hearse" kind of Senator to me. Orrin I just think doesn't want to leave just yet, although I think he will retire in 2024.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

I think Feinstein may run one more time in 2018 for a fifth term. She wants to make history. Even if she is challenged in a Democratic primary, she may win reelection because the California GOP is weak.
If she runs, the only other Democrats will likely be random unknowns who will fail to finish second in the primary, with a Republican making the runoff and losing to Feinstein by a wide margin. Even if a Democratic challenger makes the runoff, Feinstein will likely win (especially because most Republicans would vote for her against another Democrat).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »

If she runs, the only other Democrats will likely be random unknowns who will fail to finish second in the primary, with a Republican making the runoff and losing to Feinstein by a wide margin. Even if a Democratic challenger makes the runoff, Feinstein will likely win (especially because most Republicans would vote for her against another Democrat).

True.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 10:15:02 PM by ERM64man »

True.
Menendez might get primaried. Isakson might resign due to health problems. Jungle primaries make it extremely difficult for a Democratic challenger from the left to defeat an incumbent Democrat. I would vote for Feinstein against another Democrat. If any of these Republicans possibly run (who won't win the general, but I will vote for one of them in the primary), which one should I support?

San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer
Long Beach businessman Sanford Kahn
Yucca Valley Congressman Paul Cook
Garden Grove mayor Steve Jones
Arcadia retired FBI agent Jack Orswell
West Covina real estate agent Arturo Enrique Alas
Atherton CPA Greg Conlon
Gordon E. Fisher from West Covina
Oceanside businessman Al Ramirez
Santa Ana School Board member Cecilia Iglesias
Canoga Park businessman Mark Reed
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »

True.
Menendez might get primaried. Isakson might resign due to health problems. I would vote for Feinstein against another Democrat. If any of these Republicans run (who won't win the general, but I will vote for one of them in the primary), which one should I support?

Atherton CPA Greg Conlon

Georgia Democrats should have ran a better candidate other than Jim Barksdale.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »

True.
Menendez might get primaried. Isakson might resign due to health problems. I would vote for Feinstein against another Democrat. If any of these Republicans run (who won't win the general, but I will vote for one of them in the primary), which one should I support?

Atherton CPA Greg Conlon

Georgia Democrats should have ran a better candidate other than Jim Barksdale.
Michelle Nunn is a better choice than Barksdale. Which one of these GOP politicians I listed should I vote for (if any of them run in the primary)?
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 10:32:02 PM »

Ben Cardin is getting pretty old.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »

Orrin Hatch said that he was going to retire.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »

The only ones I can see retiring are Hatch, Feinstein, Cardin, Carper, and Menendez. I suspect at least two of them will retire; if I had to guess I'd say Cardin and Carper but who knows?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »

I can't see Feinstein retiring...and I will totally vote for literally any Democrat running in the primaries [probably an absentee ballot for that one].
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:44 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 03:03:15 AM by ERM64man »

I can't see Feinstein retiring...and I will totally vote for literally any Democrat running in the primaries [probably an absentee ballot for that one].
If Feinstein runs, would you vote for her, or for some random unknown Democrat (who has no chance) in the primary? If she runs, there would likely be no serious primary challenger. Feinstein and some Republican would advance to November where the Republican gets clobbered in the general.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »

If Feinstein runs, would you vote for her, or for some random unknown Democrat (who has no chance) in the primary? If she runs, there would likely be no serious primary challenger. Feinstein and some Republican would advance to November where the Republican gets clobbered in the general.

I'm not L.D. Smith, but I think it depends entirely on who this random unknown Democrat is.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »

He has since been said to be reconsidering.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »

He has also said that every six years since his third term. He's on his... seventh or eighth term now.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »

From the class with incoming elections: Feinstein, Carper, Menendez. We could see some Class 2/3 Senators resign or leave for other reasons as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies