Why did Bob Dole give up his majority leader spot to run for president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why did Bob Dole give up his majority leader spot to run for president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Bob Dole give up his majority leader spot to run for president?  (Read 2061 times)
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »

I am not very familiar with this history as I wasn't even born then. It has been troubling to me for months why Bob Dole gave up his Senate seat and majority leader status to pursue a presidential bid he's not assured to win? He could've retained Senator.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »

He did it to get more media attention to try to close the poll deficit against Bill Clinton. It didn't work out. And we got Trent Lott in the process as Majority Leader.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »

For dramatic effect? Because he was tired of the Senate and wanted to go up or out?
Oppo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »

It's hard being a congressional lead along with running for POTUS. I remember that he was unable to attend a debate as a result of the budget negotiations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

Running the Senate while running for president divided his attention too much and also implicated him in everything the GOP majority in Congress was doing, so he decided to step down as Majority Leader.  I believe it was in discussing that move with his aides that he decided to just go all the way and try the Hail Mary of resigning from the Senate altogether.  Here is how SNL tackled the event btw:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cold-opening-nightline/n10863?snl=1
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

Because, as 2016 showed, anything can happen if you're one of the two major choices, and politicians themselves tend to REALLY believe that, haha.  I'm sure Bob Dole actually thought he could become the President, and he was ASSURED of being at the very worst the second most likely human being to become the President in January 1997...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »

yeah, the easy/obvious answer is probably the correct one...he thought he had a decent chance at winning
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »

Why did Republicans think running Bob Dole was a good idea?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »

1996 was a really weak GOP field. Who would they nominate instead? Steve Forbes? He was a total nobody and weaker than Dole.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 05:11:40 AM »

I have the 1996 Newsweek Special Election edition as well as Bob Woodward's book "The Choice" that both cover this. I'll post them tomorrow.

"The Choice" was really about the choice, kind of an odd election book.  It was written something like two months before election day.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 05:18:41 AM »

To celebrate the 80th anniversary (well, 1 day late) of Charles Hughes giving his opponent a new Supreme Court justice.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »

From Bob Woodward's book "The Choice" Page 428

"Months earlier (before discussion on Vice Presidential selection) a seed had been planted, something that had nagged at Dole since the Republican primaries when he was beaten up as this creature from Washington, "Beltway Bob."  Buchanan, Forbes and Alexander regularly had aimed their most pointed attacks at his longtime service in the Senate.  Dole knew that people didn't like Washington, and his opponents had effectively wrapped the entire political culture of the capital around his neck.  As he started winning the primaries, he dismissed the problem.  But, over the Easter break he had eight days of rest in Florida, a record for him.  The negative interpretations of his total identity with the Senate gnawed at him.  He was pretty sure that 90% of the people didn't know what the title majority leader meant. To them, it just meant another politician making deals, raising their taxes, spending more money.  That was what Washington conjured up out there. That's what he conjured up out there.

In Florida, Dole had time to walk and sit in the sun, look around, think.  He thought about his late parents.  He thought about the frustration of the average people. He thought about his mail, the nasty letters, many of which had a common theme, 'You're like everybody else. You're like all the rest of 'em."  He had to be different, but he wasn't.  He had to break through the Washington noise and his own expectations, many of them of his own making.

Dole decided he would quit the Senate completely, not just give up the Majority Leader's Office, but resign his Senate seat.... He found he was sleeping well and having no second thoughts.

Page 432, Dole's statement:
"My time to leave this office has come and I will seek the Presidency with nothing to fall back on but the judgement of the people, and nowhere to go but the White House or home."... "And I will then stand before you without an office or authority, a private citizen a Kansan, an American, just a man. But, I will be the same man I was when I walked into the room.  I trust in the hard way, for little has come for me except in the hard way, which is good because we have a hard task ahead of us.  This is where I touch the ground, and it is in touching the ground in moments of difficulty where I find my strength.  I have been there before, I have done it the hard way, and I will do it the hard way once again. I have absolute confidence in the victory that to some may seem unnattainable."

I think that's a pretty classy statement from a person who did not deserve so much hardship in his life.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 05:35:46 PM »

with hindsight couldn't you ask that about every losing non-incumbent candidate going back a long ways?  at least the last 8 or so.  Possible exceptions being McCain and Gore.

I think that's a pretty classy statement from a person who did not deserve so much hardship in his life.
agreed
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 02:58:17 AM »

with hindsight couldn't you ask that about every losing non-incumbent candidate going back a long ways?  at least the last 8 or so.  Possible exceptions being McCain and Gore.

Something about nominating a sitting congressional leader with less charisma than a tuna can strikes me as a peculiarly disastrous choice, especially off a historic midterm victory for your party and presumably with high expectations for the next election.  When Powell said he was out it's like the Republicans just gave up, because none of the Republicans who ran that year would have beaten Clinton and they settled on the lousiest choice (well, lousiest after Buchanan).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 05:11:37 AM »

Something about nominating a sitting congressional leader with less charisma than a tuna can strikes me as a peculiarly disastrous choice, especially off a historic midterm victory for your party and presumably with high expectations for the next election.  When Powell said he was out it's like the Republicans just gave up, because none of the Republicans who ran that year would have beaten Clinton and they settled on the lousiest choice.

This
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies