What would realistically be the most electable Democratic or Republican ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:19:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What would realistically be the most electable Democratic or Republican ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would realistically be the most electable Democratic or Republican ticket?  (Read 1845 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »

In my opinion:

Democratic: Ron Wyden/Elizabeth Warren. It obviously unites the various branches of the Democratic Party while attracting swing voters.
Republican: Paul Ryan/Nikki Haley. This is assuming Ryan resigns the Speakership in October of 2017 and resigns his House seat. Haley's newfound ties to Trump would keep his supporters willing to vote for the ticket.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

I'd vote for Trump over Wyden. Anyhow, I still think that JBE/Warren is the most electable Democratic ticket.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:05:15 PM »

In a general election I think Bullock/Booker or Booker/Bullock would be formidable. Bridging the urban/rural divide imo is more important than bridging the progressive/liberal divide. You could replace Booker with Kamala Harris on either of those tickets as well to get the same outcome (while winning more progressives).
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

In my opinion:

Democratic: Ron Wyden/Elizabeth Warren. It obviously unites the various branches of the Democratic Party while attracting swing voters.
Republican: Paul Ryan/Nikki Haley. This is assuming Ryan resigns the Speakership in October of 2017 and resigns his House seat. Haley's newfound ties to Trump would keep his supporters willing to vote for the ticket.

-Neither of these are the best tickets. Both Ryan and Haley are horrible general election candidates. Wyden/Warren is OK, but a tad too far-left. And it's important to have an energetic Black guy at the top of the Dem ticket to keep Black youth turnout at 2012 levels.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

In my opinion:

-Neither of these are the best tickets. Both Ryan and Haley are horrible general election candidates. Wyden/Warren is OK, but a tad too far-left. And it's important to have an energetic Black guy at the top of the Dem ticket to keep Black youth turnout at 2012 levels.

Neither Wyden nor Warren are anywhere near "far-left".

Wyden is pretty centrist at best on economic issues. It's only social issues that would make anyone think he's left of center.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »

I thought the lesson of 2016 was media savvy and "charisma" are vastly more important to electibility than paper qualities.

So whoever is able to distance themselves from the pack. 
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »

In my opinion:

Neither Wyden nor Warren are anywhere near "far-left".

Wyden is pretty centrist at best on economic issues. It's only social issues that would make anyone think he's left of center.

-Guys; I never denied Wyden was pretty centrist; I said the Wyden/Warren ticket was "a tad too far-left" [for it to be the most electable Democratic ticket]. For all we know, Tom Carper may be the most electable Democratic nominee in terms of ideology.
SCNCmod

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:58:48 PM »

In a general election I think Bullock/Booker or Booker/Bullock would be formidable. Bridging the urban/rural divide imo is more important than bridging the progressive/liberal divide. You could replace Booker with Kamala Harris on either of those tickets as well to get the same outcome (while winning more progressives).

As of right now... This is the correct answer.  Bullock could maybe interchanged with Sherrod Brown.

Elizabeth Warren on a ticket is less electable than Hillary IMO.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 12:40:30 AM »

Only on Atlas do they say Elizabeth Warren is not far left.
Eharding

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »

As of right now... This is the correct answer.  Bullock could maybe interchanged with Sherrod Brown.

Elizabeth Warren on a ticket is less electable than Hillary IMO.

-Not less electable than Hillary. But I don't think she's in the top decile of electability.
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 02:02:22 AM »

Elizabeth Warren is a centre-left liberal by any objective measure.

http://voteview.com/SENATE_SORT113.HTM
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:26 AM »

Most electable Democrat would be Sherrod Brown imo because he manages to strike a good enough appeal to all of the Democratic party and swing voters. The most, and probably only, electable Republican is Trump, because if he's not on the ticket, something obviously went very, very wrong during his administration, and no Republican will be able to escape that taint.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »

Elizabeth Warren is a centre-left liberal by any objective measure.

God bless.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:41:12 AM »

Kamala Harris/Al Franken, if we're doing off electability. It's really unifying the party together with a ticket like that, but American politics has shown it's hard to pull this one off. Trump though was such a big personality he could've nominated anyone for VP, but he wanted to make sure he had part of a base that didn't trust by going with Mike Pence, he wanted Christie. The Establishment in the Democratic party still holds that gravitas because most American's are centrist when it comes to economics while socially it's skewing toward the left.
SCNCmod

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

Assuming Trump is the Repub nom...
Some combo like:

Sherrod Brown/ Julian Castro
Al Franken/ Kamala Harris
Cory Booker/ (Heinrich or Brown)

... it think it will be smart to have some Geographical Diversity on the ticket & Someone from the SW (which is why I included Castro, Heinrich, Harris (although CA isn't exactly SW.. she would have SW appeal)

... although of the list above- Brown & Franken will be 69.... which make me hesitant (I think there is something to the stat that in modern era- every Dem elected President have been under 54 yrs old!) .. so Maybe switch the order (as older Dem candidates have been fine as VP picks)
politics_king
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »

Assuming Trump is the Repub nom...
Some combo like:

Sherrod Brown/ Julian Castro
Al Franken/ Kamala Harris
Cory Booker/ (Heinrich or Brown)

... it think it will be smart to have some Geographical Diversity on the ticket & Someone from the SW (which is why I included Castro, Heinrich, Harris (although CA isn't exactly SW.. she would have SW appeal)

... although of the list above- Brown & Franken will be 69.... which make me hesitant (I think there is something to the stat that in modern era- every Dem elected President have been under 54 yrs old!) .. so Maybe switch the order (as older Dem candidates have been fine as VP picks)

If Trump is a total failure, it just has to be the polar opposite of him. Most Dems are, but the message has to consistent with our values. We're a conservative economic country, but socially acceptable.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »

Assuming the Republican nominee is either Trump or Pence, I can see John Hickenlooper or Steve Bullock giving them a really hard time. For a running mate, there is several possibilities : Sherrod Brown or Elizabeth Warren if they want a liberal anti-Wall Street appeal, John Bel Edward if they want to court conservative blue-dogs democrats, Kirsten Gillibrand if they want to run up the urban turnout. A good idea would be to have a Hispanic running mate, but I can't see anyone. Ruben Gallego is too young and inexperienced, Raul Grijalva is old.

If neither Trump nor Pence runs, I can see a John Kasich/Cory Gardner ticket, going for the "elder statesman/sensible conservative" message.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:04 AM »

Assuming the Republican nominee is either Trump or Pence, I can see John Hickenlooper or Steve Bullock giving them a really hard time. For a running mate, there is several possibilities : Sherrod Brown or Elizabeth Warren if they want a liberal anti-Wall Street appeal, John Bel Edward if they want to court conservative blue-dogs democrats, Kirsten Gillibrand if they want to run up the urban turnout. A good idea would be to have a Hispanic running mate, but I can't see anyone. Ruben Gallego is too young and inexperienced, Raul Grijalva is old.

If neither Trump nor Pence runs, I can see a John Kasich/Cory Gardner ticket, going for the "elder statesman/sensible conservative" message.

I don't think you could run Hickenlooper or Bullock against Trump, you don't want a contrast that is considered "close". But it depends on how Trump runs the country, if he does decent and people trend upwards in Approval then it's a moot point it'll be like Clinton vs. Dole. You want a polar opposite and a polar opposite will win the nomination because Trump's policies have been bad for America. If his policies work, I won't even be against him but I won't vote for him. I'll never support a man who tapped into the worst parts of his party to get elected.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

A good idea would be to have a Hispanic running mate, but I can't see anyone. Ruben Gallego is too young and inexperienced, Raul Grijalva is old.
Henry Cuellar, Catherine Cortez Masto, Eric Garcetti, and Ben Ray Lujan would all beg to differ.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »

"Only on Atlas do people disagree with me"
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »

Wyden -- a mild-mannered, calm, wonkish, experienced Senator respected on both sides of the aisle -- would be an interesting contrast with Trump, at the very least. It'd be difficult to get anyone to turn out against him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

Democratic: Kamala Harris/John Bel Edwards (or the other way around)

Republican: John Kasich/Nikki Haley
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »

Repeat the ticket from 1904. What could go wrong as Theodore Roosevelt will not be the opponent.

A conservative from New York for President, Andrew Cuomo.

The richest man in West Virginia for Vice President, Jim Justice.
Eharding

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »

(Schultz or Newsom)/(Warren, Klobuchar or Duckworth)

(Walker or Rubio)/Rice
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies