HB 2016-1072 - No More Going Hungry in Atlasia Act (GOES TO SENATE!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1072 - No More Going Hungry in Atlasia Act (GOES TO SENATE!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HB 2016-1072 - No More Going Hungry in Atlasia Act (GOES TO SENATE!)  (Read 3510 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »
« edited: February 02, 2017, 08:26:59 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Siren

Okay, 48 hours for some debates!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

I read a whole lot of forced charity, and I'm not comfortable with giving a government agency this much power over food.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »

Yes, it is technically forced charity, but the alternative is literally dumping it all in landfills.  We're not talking about asking/requiring markets to donate food that they would otherwise be selling.  This is all food that's going to be taken off the shelves anyway and dumped.  Markets rarely keep food approaching the date on the shelf because customers don't want to buy that, but there's actually a lot of food that's still good and could go to help feed lots of hungry people.  With food, it's not that we don't have enough of it.  We're just really inefficient with it.

Currently, billions of tons of perfectly good food gets wasted by big supermarkets each year. If instead, they donated that food to local food banks and shelters before it expired, that would go a long way to helping people be able to eat.

I got this idea from legislation that was recently passed unanimously ( Smiley ) in France, and I just thought it was a really cool idea.  I hope more countries, including Atlasia adopt this policy to be more prudent in our management of unsold/unused/unwanted food.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

I can get behind this. The amount of edible food that is wasted in this country by being thrown out by stores is just insane.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »

I can get behind this. The amount of edible food that is wasted in this country by being thrown out by stores is just insane.

Completely agreed.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

We should limit this agency's power, and ability to gain power.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »

This is an excellent idea. As others have said, the amount of edible food thrown out on a daily basis is obscene, especially when you consider how many of our own citizens don't have enough to eat.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »

This:

The amount of edible food that is wasted in this country by being thrown out by stores is just insane.

But also this:

I'm not comfortable with giving a government agency this much power over food.

Tongue

I'll try to think about ways to improve this when it hits the Senate.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »

I'm trying to think of a way to keep power away from this agency's hands. Coming up with nothing, anyone have any ideas?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »

I'm trying to think of a way to keep power away from this agency's hands. Coming up with nothing, anyone have any ideas?

I honestly have no idea. What powers are you concerned about the agency having?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »

I'm not very concerned about the agency having this much power, as I can't really see how said power would be abused Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »

I'm not very concerned about the agency having this much power, as I can't really see how said power would be abused Tongue

Yeah. I mean, it's not like this is controlling sales or anything, it's just about food that would otherwise go to waste.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »

The Agency's power lies with stopping food waste and transporting it to those that need it most. I think that the only way it can be abused is to have a corporate, for-profit food bank CEO control the agency, which, to my knowledge, are very rare.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »

This:

The amount of edible food that is wasted in this country by being thrown out by stores is just insane.

But also this:

I'm not comfortable with giving a government agency this much power over food.
Agree with Leinad. I think this is probably overreach, but I do like the idea of finding ways to deal with the insanely large amount of food that is wasted. I like the idea of getting food to charity.

Also, I think we should include a provision that bans school cafeterias from forcing students to take food they do not intend to eat. I know this is one major source of food waste IRL.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

Also, I think we should include a provision that bans school cafeterias from forcing students to take food they do not intend to eat. I know this is one major source of food waste IRL.

I think I would support that, but I'm not sure how to word it.  Maybe we could include a section on schools.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:38 AM »

I think I would support that, but I'm not sure how to word it.  Maybe we could include a section on schools.
How about?
[quote]Section 4: Food at School
1. School cafeterias are hereby prohibited from forcing students to take any food he or she does not want when buying breakfast or lunch.
2. Food that is left over and fit for consumption shall be donated to a local food bank.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »

I think Heisenberg's amendment is good. This is definitely an area government has control over (of course we should also work on limiting federal control of education, but that's for a different bill Tongue).
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »

Yeah, that sounds good.  At first I was kind of worried that might constrain schools in extreme situations like kids with eating disorders, but I think the part about "when buying" makes sure that it's not too sweeping.  That's why it took me a while to reply.

Anyway, amendment is friendly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »

What is the administration of this agency going to likely cost?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 01:28:25 AM »

Also what are the prospects for regional involvement in this effort? I would think it would be far more effective with a collaborative approach then the federal gov't going it alone.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »

I'm not the best at budget estimates, and this is kind of a new policy that afaik has only been done in France and Italy.  A little research finds that the French agency has an annual budget of about $33-43 million, so I guess it would probably be similar with this agency.  Maybe a bit more or less depending on actual budget negotiations?  If someone that knows more about budget estimates wants to chime in feel free.

Also what are the prospects for regional involvement in this effort? I would think it would be far more effective with a collaborative approach then the federal gov't going it alone.

I don't know.  Do you have any suggestions?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »

I think Heisenberg's amendment is good. This is definitely an area government has control over (of course we should also work on limiting federal control of education, but that's for a different bill Tongue).
Absolutely. Students have a right not to take food they don't want. Wink

Yeah, that sounds good.  At first I was kind of worried that might constrain schools in extreme situations like kids with eating disorders, but I think the part about "when buying" makes sure that it's not too sweeping.  That's why it took me a while to reply.

Anyway, amendment is friendly.
Thanks!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

Perhaps this agency should be three different parts, for each region, with a lower cost agency to oversee operations that are interregional.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 01:19:05 AM »

I'm not the best at budget estimates, and this is kind of a new policy that afaik has only been done in France and Italy.  A little research finds that the French agency has an annual budget of about $33-43 million, so I guess it would probably be similar with this agency.  Maybe a bit more or less depending on actual budget negotiations?  If someone that knows more about budget estimates wants to chime in feel free.

I don't know.  Do you have any suggestions?

I am thinking that with regional partnerships of some kind we can not only expand the impact of the program, but also divide up the costs.

If we go this route, I would recommend, especially for Senators that they involve their Governors in discussions about the feasibility in their regions of such partnerships and that way once it passes, there is a ready discussion that can then proceed to actions towards implementation at the regional end as opposed to just dumping it in their laps.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 02:22:14 AM »

I think it'd be great to get regions involved, but I'm not sure how we would go about it in this bill.  I don't think the federal govt has authority to create regional agencies, and allocating funds for regions would seem to defeat the purpose.  Maybe something like this?

Section 1: Establishing an Agency to Manage Food Conservation
1. The Agency of Food Conservation shall be established under the purview of the Interior Department to manage conservation of edible food from markets, to create programs to educate consumers on food conservation practices, to coordinate interaction between regional food conservation agencies, and to encourage food conservation in Atlasia.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies