Is Trump the first dictator president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Trump the first dictator president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Is Trump the first dictator president?  (Read 4479 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

No. The only "Dictator Presidents" ever were FDR and Wilson. Technically Lincoln, Johnson, and Grant were "dictators" over parts of the South at times, but a civil war is far more understandable, in my opinion, than a world war.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 08:31:33 PM by angus »

Interesting comments about Wilson and Roosevelt.  I think Roosevelt's scheme to change the size of the Supreme Court in order to get around the supreme court's early opposition to much of his program was radical (and dictatorial), but when there was no appetite in Congress for changing the court, he backed down.  He was maybe more of a wannabe dictator.  His economic agenda was approved by the congress precisely because both chambers largely agreed with his Keynesian approach.  Like Hitler, he never shook Jessie owens' hand, but that doesn't make him a dictator, does it?

Wilson is another matter.  He had a deep and abiding love of power.  I agree that you can call him a dictator, and a dictator was probably just what was needed at the time.  (You must remember that in his day, and frankly in Roosevelt's day as well, the term "dictator" did not carry the negative connotation that it does now.)

I'm not sure that we need a dictator now, or whether Trump will be one, but if he is, he will not have been the first.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »

Interesting comments about Wilson and Roosevelt.  I think Roosevelt's scheme to change the size of the Supreme Court in order to get around the supreme court's early opposition to much of his program was radical (and dictatorial), but when there was no appetite in Congress for changing the court, he backed down.  He was maybe more of a wannabe dictator.  His economic agenda was approved by the congress precisely because both chambers largely agreed with his Keynesian approach.  Like Hitler, he never shook Jessie owens' hand, but that doesn't make him a dictator, does it?

Wilson is another matter.  He had a deep and abiding love of power.  I agree that you can call him a dictator, and a dictator was probably just what was needed at the time.  (You must remember that in his day, and frankly in Roosevelt's day as well, the term "dictator" did not carry the negative connotation that it does now.)

I'm not sure that we need a dictator now, or whether Trump will be one, but if he is, he will not have been the first.

I think that is why he will be criticized for going that direction more. He seems to be a dictator for just wanting to be one.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »

Obviously we've never had a dictator and still don't.  The hyperbole from the left is really off putting FYI.  Trump is bad enough with his actual bull sh**t, we don't need to make up crap to make him seem worse.

I agree with this post. What's more, it was this absurd hyperbole that was an important factor in motivating me to vote for Trump. I don't care for much of what he says, but when everything the other side pumps out is distilled BS it does not endear me to their point of view.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »

el caudillo
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies