Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:04:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111414 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »

Some of the aging conservatives at my church are honestly pretty terrible. I chose this religious community for myself and so I believe I'm obliged to cherish and to some extent defend it, but some of them make it pretty hard. A lot of these people are wonderful but some are simply garden-variety post-truth goons and it can get pretty damn frustrating.

Any chance you could be able engage some of them in a serious conversation and help them see things from your perspective? Not necessarily convince them, but at least build a bridge of some kind. I think you're one of the leftists on this forum who would be most capable to do that.

Oh, there's not really much ideological daylight between the ones I get along with and the ones I don't, it's almost all personality. There's this one guy who's a really hardcore Trumpista and would probably tread the fumi-e without a care if the daimyō "wasn't PC"; this is someone who seeks me out to complain about "the feminists" to even though he seems to know it bothers me.

Yeah, it's obvious these days that there are many people whose only goal in politics is to stick it to "the other side" - I mean, look at Santander (though it happens on the left as well, of course). Not much point in seeking those out, though it's a shame.

I briefly mentioned it in one of my posts, but I think being a jerk and insulting people who disagree with you is just so tempting and satisfying for people, whereas actually engaging with people who think differently and trying to understand where they're coming from takes a lot of humility and patience. Especially after the election, I've tried to do the latter as much as I can, though I admit that sometimes I catch myself getting pissed off about something, and trying to "stick it to the other side." I'm not perfect, but I'm trying to be better about it. It can get especially frustrating when some people just want to rub it in.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

Well, I'm a motherf**king workaholic.

Preferable the (many) alternative(s). Tongue
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

Talked a lot with someone cool and told them a lot about my life that I had never told anyone else.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2017, 05:54:43 AM »

Ugh I just had a very long argument with two left wing people who are convinced that Trump is still better than Clinton because 'muh ww3'. I remember why I refuse to discuss American politics with british people Tongue

Other than that have had a relatively good start to 2017- have started going jogging 3-4 times a week, going to the cinema every week and making an effort to actually cook nice meals; all in an attempt to get myself out of the endless politics bubble.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2017, 03:08:51 PM »

Speaking of very left-wing people, I was the victim of road-rage again. Some girl probably twice my weight in a Honda cut me off as I tried to change lanes, remained next to me for some time (forcing the guy behind her to repeatedly honk since she slowed down considerably) which prevented me from merging, and repeatedly yelled at me. I couldn't hear what she was saying, but the words "fuck Trump" and "asshole" were uttered hysterically, and the universal gesture was given. I briefly was so enraged that I considered chucking my half-smoked cigarette into her car, but I'd rather not have a felony road-rage conviction over a desire to burn a small hole in her empty passenger seat's upholstery.

The girl looked sorta like this girl who I went to elementary and middle school with. Her mom was my second grade teacher and she was always a very active liberal who likes to pick fights on Facebook. I had to remove her after the election, in fact. It wasn't her-I'm pretty sure she's in DC-but this girl looked exactly like her (which isn't good, not that I'm really in any place to judge anyone's looks myself).

It's one thing to tear up a sign like Crumpets did (which didn't really warrant the body-slam, but that was to be expected) at a public protest where tensions are expected and already high. It's a completely other thing to pick a fight on the freaking road with a vehicle. This is getting out of hand.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »

A bit of Atlas related personal news, I am now in a class with Sawx. A government class.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »

It's one thing to tear up a sign like Crumpets did (which didn't really warrant the body-slam, but that was to be expected) at a public protest where tensions are expected and already high. It's a completely other thing to pick a fight on the freaking road with a vehicle. This is getting out of hand.

Yeah, that's way out of line. Also, I just want to clarify - it wasn't just that a guy was waving a Trump sign at a women's rally; I have no qualms with that. It was that he was yelling stuff like "You c***s are only here 'cause you can't satisfy a man" at random women and kids.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »

Reading the first few chapters of this webcomic has made me think a lot about the concept of masculinity in a way I haven't before.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »

I'm happy drunk rn. why cant i be happy sober? #PhilosoSunriseThoughts
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »

I'm happy drunk rn. why cant i be happy sober? #PhilosoSunriseThoughts

Good question.

I wonder what I'd look like drunkposting on atlas. Won't get to find out because I'm trying to not drink alcohol anymore.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2017, 12:32:15 AM »

My drunk atlas posts are usually my most thought provoking and intelligent.  Go me.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »

My drunk atlas posts are usually my most thought provoking and intelligent.  Go me.

When I drink whiskey I tend to be thoughtful. Vodka, though, makes me dumb and happy like rn Smiley
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »

Happy to report that I have no hangover and only very slight discomfort this morning.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »

Happy to report that I have no hangover and only very slight discomfort this morning.

Drink more water
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »

I partied hard this last weekend from Thursday night all the way until Sunday morning for obvious reasons, and the very thought of being drunk right now almost makes me ill Tongue.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

After writing 85 pages I got stuck and decided to review what I wrote so far.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »

My grandfather has suddenly become ill, and we're afraid that it might be pneumonia. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be posting much for a bit, lest I let my emotions get the best of me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »

My grandfather has suddenly become ill, and we're afraid that it might be pneumonia. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be posting much for a bit, lest I let my emotions get the best of me.

I'm sorry to hear that. Wish him best.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope he gets better soon.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:31 PM »

So I've been basically in an emotional, physical, mental, spiritual rut for I can't even remember how long and this is the time of year I'm trying to improve so that maybe I can dig out of it once and for all. Trying to take my classes seriously (I've usually done just enough to skate by), read more, go on Atlas a tad less (probably already failing at that), develop interests I already enjoy or used to enjoy as well as new interests, and not be such a ing loner and make new friends (which, ugh, I hate because I'm anti-social but at the same time get sad when I realize how few people I have in my life). I'm waiting about a month to go the gym because really  trying to go to the gym in January of any year because RESOLUTIONERS (yes, i did this last year because i was also a hopeless resolutioner), but exercise is also on the agenda.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »

Lucky, I'm struggling to even get a paragraph done. Even a half sentence seems to take an hour to get through.

But that's what happens when one writes mostly by the seat of the pants, I s'pose. Normally wouldn't do this, but I'm trying to resurrect an old screenplay I wrote and get into both script form and novel form.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2017, 05:37:45 AM »

So I've been basically in an emotional, physical, mental, spiritual rut for I can't even remember how long and this is the time of year I'm trying to improve so that maybe I can dig out of it once and for all. Trying to take my classes seriously (I've usually done just enough to skate by), read more, go on Atlas a tad less (probably already failing at that), develop interests I already enjoy or used to enjoy as well as new interests, and not be such a ing loner and make new friends (which, ugh, I hate because I'm anti-social but at the same time get sad when I realize how few people I have in my life). I'm waiting about a month to go the gym because really  trying to go to the gym in January of any year because RESOLUTIONERS (yes, i did this last year because i was also a hopeless resolutioner), but exercise is also on the agenda.
Good luck, man.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »

My grandfather fortunately does not have pneumonia, and he seems to be recovering. Thanks to anyone who wished him well.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »

I got stuck outlining the third act, so I'm going to write another short story before I get back to it.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »

Had to reset my phone today because of com.android.systemui crashing whenever I would hold the home button it was a pain to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies