Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:34:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 113846 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 28, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »

I don't have advice, but this would make a fantastic sitcom.

Are you actually a Democrat now or are you just toying with us again Sad
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1051 on: May 28, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »

I don't have advice, but this would make a fantastic sitcom.

Are you actually a Democrat now or are you just toying with us again Sad

I've been meaning to explain this. The short answer: Yeah, for keeps this time.

Long answer: It's a combination of how PO'd I am at the current administration, a general leftward drift on fiscal issues, reading about how a few dozen rich guys have paid for most of the political literature I've read to this point, and just starting to think about immigration/social policies in terms of the actual people they affect instead of abstract concepts and numbers.

If Winston Churchill thought that people who were conservative before twenty didn't have hearts, and people who were liberal after forty didn't have brains, I can't imagine what he would say about Atlas's libertarian teenagers. Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1052 on: May 28, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »

If Winston Churchill thought that people who were conservative before twenty didn't have hearts, and people who were liberal after forty didn't have brains, I can't imagine what he would say about Atlas's libertarian teenagers. Tongue
Most of them wouldn't know what liberty looked like if it was right in front of their eyes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1053 on: May 28, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »

Well, this is going to be REALLY awkward.  I'm renting a room in a house for my internship this summer, and one of the other renters just moved into another room in the house.  It just so happens that she is interning for Planned Parenthood, and I'm not really sure what to do.  Any advice on how to live with someone who is literally fighting at work for the exact thing I'm fighting to stop at work?

Has she figured out where you stand yet?

If she has, and nothing's happened,  just continue to agree to disagree.

If she hasn't, just don't bring it up yourself, and if she somehow brings it up, just agree to disagree.

But hey, if she's good lookin' and she thinks you're good lookin'...well, perhaps opposition won't be such an issue then anyway.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1054 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

Well, this is going to be REALLY awkward.  I'm renting a room in a house for my internship this summer, and one of the other renters just moved into another room in the house.  It just so happens that she is interning for Planned Parenthood, and I'm not really sure what to do.  Any advice on how to live with someone who is literally fighting at work for the exact thing I'm fighting to stop at work?

Has she figured out where you stand yet?

If she has, and nothing's happened,  just continue to agree to disagree.

If she hasn't, just don't bring it up yourself, and if she somehow brings it up, just agree to disagree.

But hey, if she's good lookin' and she thinks you're good lookin'...well, perhaps opposition won't be such an issue then anyway.

I don't know if she knows, but my computer is plastered in conservative and pro-life stickers, so she will figure it out.  I think I might just explain the situation and agree to never talk politics.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1055 on: May 28, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »

I don't know if she knows, but my computer is plastered in conservative and pro-life stickers, so she will figure it out.  I think I might just explain the situation and agree to never talk politics.

Why is your computer plastered with stickers? Aren't those suppose to go on one's vehicle instead?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1056 on: May 28, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2017, 09:54:37 PM by Senator Scott »

Well, this is going to be REALLY awkward.  I'm renting a room in a house for my internship this summer, and one of the other renters just moved into another room in the house.  It just so happens that she is interning for Planned Parenthood, and I'm not really sure what to do.  Any advice on how to live with someone who is literally fighting at work for the exact thing I'm fighting to stop at work?

Whatever you do, don't kill her or bomb the place she works for.

Why is your computer plastered with stickers? Aren't those suppose to go on one's vehicle instead?

I mean I had a Bernie sticker on my laptop at one point.  Just one, though.

People can't key your laptop if they're pissed at you. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1057 on: May 28, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2017, 10:11:02 PM by En Marche Forcée »

Normally I strongly believe in the ability to get along across political divides (and that's from personal experience) but it might be a bit of a challenge when one person's politics entail instating the death penalty for the other person.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1058 on: May 28, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »

Normally I strongly believe in the ability to get along across political divides (and that's from personal experience) but it might be a bit of a challenge when one person's politics entail giving the death penalty to the other person.

This is why I'm far more concerned about the girl's safety than I am about ER not getting along with someone who has different opinions than him.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1059 on: May 28, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

Y'all are being ridiculous.  I have always and will always condemn violence against the abortion industry.  I really am a decent person and would never consider something like that, and I'm fairly taken aback that y'all even brought it up.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1060 on: May 28, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »

Well shoot---

So you have another roommate moving into the house renting her own room, and you're worried about how to live with another individual who may (or may not) have significant differences of opinion on various issues of importance to you?

By that I mean, it's sounds like:

1.) You might be jumping to conclusions about her opinions regarding various issues.

2.) You are both just room mates---- Agreeing on everything or being friends is not a prerequisite towards having an awesome or tolerable roommate...

I lived in shared housing situations for almost ten years with probably about (30) individual roommates in various houses over that time.

The *worst* roommate I ever had was the guy I lived with for two months who was literally selling Meth out of his bedroom window late at night (This was some 15 years back), or maybe another roommate around the same time that ripped off the other guy that was on the lease with me for $500 in dollar coins.

Now, we get can get into other items that are not desirable in a roommate, such as extremely excessive noise, poor personal hygiene, not cleaning up after themselves in common areas or performing regular household cleanup activities....

Honestly, I think you *might* end up having a pretty cool roommate, with whom you may agree with on some issues and disagree with on others.

Now regarding the Computer, is it located in a common area, or in your bedroom? I mean, I lived with a ton of people that never went into my personal space nor mine theirs in shared living environments.

That doesn't mean you need to hide who you are and what some of your core beliefs are, but hell she might be as freaked out about the idea as you, so just do normal roommate things like sharing food if you're cooking, watch some TV or movies in the Living Room, etc, clean up after yourself, communicate regarding issues like excessive after-hours noise on work-Nights, etc....

Not sure if that helps at all, but group living can be a pretty cool experience in many ways, so just roll with it, and after all it's only for three months or so.... Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1061 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »

Y'all are being ridiculous.  I have always and will always condemn violence against the abortion industry.  I really am a decent person and would never consider something like that, and I'm fairly taken aback that y'all even brought it up.

Don't you support the death penalty for anyone who takes part in an abortion? That probably doesn't directly apply to your roommate, but it will definitely apply to some of her acquaintances.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1062 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »

Don't you support the death penalty for anyone who takes part in an abortion? That probably doesn't directly apply to your roommate, but it will definitely apply to some of her acquaintances.

I support charging abortion doctors with murder, but not actually the women who procure them (since they are usually lied to and brainwashed by the abortion industry).  And, in any rate, you can't go backwards and charge someone for doing something that was/is legal at the time.

All I know is that I am going to pray about this a lot tonight before I go to bed.

(And, NOVA Green, it's my laptop, so it isn't just in one place)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1063 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine this situation from ER's perspective. If you actually believe abortion is straight up murdering babies, how do you interact with pro-choice pro-murder people? Let alone live with one? I would be so depressed with life.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1064 on: May 28, 2017, 10:57:11 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine this situation from ER's perspective. If you actually believe abortion is straight up murdering babies, how do you interact with pro-choice pro-murder people? Let alone live with one? I would be so depressed with life.

That's an interesting question. I guess the closest equivalent to me would be living with someone who works for a corporation involved in some REALLY evil stuff (quasi-slave labor in a third world country, causing environmental destruction or a public health crisis, etc.) and is unrepentant about it. I think I wouldn't bring it up, but I wouldn't want to hide my disgust either.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1065 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:52 PM »

You'd be surprised what can be lived through.

I once lived with two 30+ guys: One was like Santander, except shamelessly unafraid to call gay people that f word...and he wanted to be a hairstylist.

The other was a drug addict who had been living in a tent until he got a job at the local Kroger.

Both were of the 2015!RFayette-esque "You're damned to hell" strain. Not exactly Mormon friendly stuff.

Things turned out fine.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1066 on: May 28, 2017, 11:14:49 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2017, 11:16:56 PM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

¿How is sáve babby murdered, ?

I agree, how can *you* possibly deal with living with a babby murderer?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1067 on: May 28, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

Same way you deal with everyone else. Jesus dined with tax collectors and you too can live with Planned Parenthood interns. You never know, maybe she just hasn't met a single pro-life person she views as worthy of respect yet and you'll be the first. I'd suggest neither bringing up the subject nor avoiding it if it comes up. Pray for her and pray for yourself that you handle it well.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1068 on: May 28, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »

Well, the Bible says that if you hate your brother without a cause, you are guilty of murder in the heart.  So every single one of us is a murderer in God's eyes.  This doesn't mean that physical murder shouldn't be punished (and I do consider abortion tantamount to it), but I think that puts things in perspective.  We're all sinners.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1069 on: May 29, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »

Ramadan starts tomorrow, working at a restaurant during Ramadan really tests you sometimes, this year it is now May 27th to potentially June 24th this year. Summer Ramadans suck.

Ouch (Working in the restaurant bit).... being in Florida probably makes it harder than in Northern States because this time of year, daylight lasts way too long down there. I was only living in Texas, but I'm sure South Florida is even worse, since it is closer to the equator.

Why "Potentially" June 24th this year?

I mean don't the calendar conversion programs allow you to know exactly when it ends where you are living based upon the time of sunset, even you are not associated with a local community center?

It's the other way around. In June the days are longer as you go further north. Above the Arctic Circle the sun never sets. I was in Moscow for a couple weeks in June and there was barely 3 hours of nighttime.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1070 on: May 29, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »

Going to Cape Cod this weekend.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1071 on: May 29, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

Ramadan starts tomorrow, working at a restaurant during Ramadan really tests you sometimes, this year it is now May 27th to potentially June 24th this year. Summer Ramadans suck.

Ouch (Working in the restaurant bit).... being in Florida probably makes it harder than in Northern States because this time of year, daylight lasts way too long down there. I was only living in Texas, but I'm sure South Florida is even worse, since it is closer to the equator.

I mean don't the calendar conversion programs allow you to know exactly when it ends where you are living based upon the time of sunset, even you are not associated with a local community center?

It's the other way around. In June the days are longer as you go further north. Above the Arctic Circle the sun never sets. I was in Moscow for a couple weeks in June and there was barely 3 hours of nighttime.

My uncle in Alberta has to fast until 10:25 now, I only fast to ~8:17 and start at 5:12 am. Also because our calendar is lunar the number of days in a month can change, last year Ramadan was 30 days, this year it's most likely 29 days since the previous two months have been 30 days each.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1072 on: May 29, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »

im buzzed Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1073 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »

My uncle in Alberta has to fast until 10:25 now, I only fast to ~8:17 and start at 5:12 am. Also because our calendar is lunar the number of days in a month can change, last year Ramadan was 30 days, this year it's most likely 29 days since the previous two months have been 30 days each.

When do you find out?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1074 on: May 29, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »

When do you find out?

the 29th of Ramadan, so June 24th, if we see the moon, it's Eid and Ramadan is over, if not, we fast another day and Eid is the 26th.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies