Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:21:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111424 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »

I've got a nasty infection of a vital part I shall not name here. Perscribed drugs are helping, but also makes me totally dizzy.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1301 on: June 25, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »

Got t-boned by an asshole who can't tell what is a red or green light, have a bruised back and rib and will be out of work for a month while I heal, my car is pretty much totaled.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1302 on: June 25, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »

I've almost crashed into an incoming car (twice). Only when I went for a drive it became apparent infection drugs kinda impaired my ability to drive.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1303 on: June 26, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 09:26:13 AM by Cath »

Had to turn down an interview for a part time position at a youth detention facility owing to the hour drive. I've got another interview for a part time judicial aid position on a Wednesday, and some consulting company contacted me through Zip are ruiter for some sort of peon position. I said I'd love to interview. That said, I'm getting a haircut this evening at 5.

I'm very worried that I'll get a job I can stomach and not only make myself unavailable for a job I actually want, but in the process also discourage myself from pursuing other academic goals as well. Part of me had been hoping to become desperate enough to enter a police academy or apply to a doctoral program.

EDIT: Gah, the peon job is customer service ("or customer service management", but we know which I'm more "qualified" for). This is gonna be awful, but oh well. I'm seeing them tomorrow at 12:30.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1304 on: June 26, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »

I'm disputing the claim you keep regurgitating. You living somewhere in the district doesn't actually give you the knowledge to not only declare your district one way,, but declare all suburban districts across the country that same way. Plus, the democrats swung quite a few districts more then 17 points in 06.

Maybe if you sat down and looked at how Romney-Clinton districts by and large voted not only for Romney but also largely voted for John McCain (even when Obama won nationally by 7 points), George Bush twice, Bob Dole, Bush Sr. Reagan, etc. you'd finally understand that one single event in which they broke (ONLY at the presidential level) to vote specifically against Trump does not entail that these lifelong Republicans are all of sudden gonna start voting Democratic downballot by and large.

2006? Bush had f**ked up the Katrina cleanup, f**ked up in Iraq, threatened to privatize social security, had been in office for 6 whole years, etc. Obama left a fairly stable country in tact and it's gonna take longer than 23 months for lifelong Republicans to be persuaded to stop voting for their Republican candidate downballot.

It's not just my district. The woman who works as a consultant for the DCCC told the entire staff of campaign volunteers that the voters who voted for Clinton but Republican downballot in all of the districts in and around Orange County all typically had one thing in common: they were lifelong Republicans who approved of their representatives but were hostile towards Trump. Why is this so hard for you to accept?

People change, Kerry barely won Charlotte, politics is about tone and not actual policy, the flipside to sociall liberal fiscal conservatives being rare is that socially liberal tends to mean agree's with economically liberal positions. The reason many of these people vote R is because of tone and partisan identification. We need to try out some Smiley Smiley Smiley moderates SmileySmileySmiley who eg want to "reform our unsustainable healthcare system" by adopting a more universal model. We need to run liberals with a :)moderate:) tone.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1305 on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 04:14:39 PM by Cath »

Does "business professional" imply I wear a suit? The only one I own was bought in 2010 for a funeral. I am shaped slightly differently now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1306 on: June 26, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

My goal is to post little to none from now on for multiple reasons. Feel free to say "see you tomorrow" Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1307 on: June 26, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »

Another interview. Terrifying. I don't think I'm prepared to take this much rejection at once. For God's sake, give me the clerical data entry job and leave me in peace.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1308 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »

My goal is to post little to none from now on for multiple reasons. Feel free to say "see you tomorrow" Tongue

Okay, see you tomorrow.

@Cathy: Pretty sure it does.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1309 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »

Okay, see you tomorrow.

@Cathy: Pretty sure it does.

I'm going to start calling him Cathy from now on too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1310 on: June 26, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »

Well, f#ck. These interviews discriminate against the working poor.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1311 on: June 26, 2017, 08:34:27 PM »

Does "business professional" imply I wear a suit? The only one I own was bought in 2010 for a funeral. I am shaped slightly differently now.

It depends upon the job you are applying for and the corporate culture within that region industry/occupational sector.

So, as a relatively new entry to the workforce, albeit with a College Degree, you will likely be perceived by the Hiring Manager as a younger Millennial, with all of the inherent stereotypes involved.

Generally in most sectors your hiring manager will be 10+ years older, and frequently 20+ years older.

Obviously if you are applying for jobs in the Financial or Energy sectors, better to dress conservatively, and nothing wrong with suiting up, even for a data entry job.

Looking for a medical service admin type job, you have a bit more flex.

Applying for a Government job, again bit more flex.

Small business.... well depends on the owner of the business...

The general rule of thumb is to slightly over-dress compared to what you think the corporate culture is  within your given region/occupation/sector and don't go excessively crazy with over dressing....

Although I confess as a former hiring Manager I did hire a guy that showed up in a 3 piece suit for an installer job in Houston Texas, because not only did he seem capable of performing the work involved, but also showed that he really wanted the job.... all hiring managers are different however. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1312 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »

Looks like I'm swimming in the one suit I own. Gonna have to take a gamble and go shirt/tie tomorrow. These are the "potentially higher paying, but I'd be awful at them/hate it/likely wouldn't get hired anyway" type jobs, so I'm not particularly worried. My Wednesday phone interview is the one I'm actually eager to nail (despite it being lower-paying, if only because I'm actually qualified for it/it would be relevant to my career goals.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1313 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »

Finished And Then There Were None today.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1314 on: June 27, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

The Agatha Christie book, or something else entirely?
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1315 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

"Business casual" is generally slacks with a button-down shirt, or possibly a Polo.  I would assume "business professional" is a step up from that.  For "cocktail attire" in the past, I've worn a suit without a tie but with a colorful single-toned shirt.

I switched jobs earlier this year.  To one interview, I wore a suit and tie.  To the other, I was specifically told not to wear a suit, because he didn't want to interview someone who looked headed for a funeral.  I think it depends a lot on the interviewer.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1316 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »

I started reading Bridge over San Luis Rey today. The most engrossing book I've read since The Fountainhead. I'm already a third of the way finished.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1317 on: June 27, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »

RUBIK'S CUBE NATIONALS IN 10 DAYS

SAHDFOUASDHGJLDSGLJSAHGLJDSHGLJSAHDLGJH
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1318 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »

"Business casual" is generally slacks with a button-down shirt, or possibly a Polo.  I would assume "business professional" is a step up from that.  For "cocktail attire" in the past, I've worn a suit without a tie but with a colorful single-toned shirt.

I switched jobs earlier this year.  To one interview, I wore a suit and tie.  To the other, I was specifically told not to wear a suit, because he didn't want to interview someone who looked headed for a funeral.  I think it depends a lot on the interviewer.

At my job, it probably would be called business casual, but all the guys wear polos most days this time of year.  I wore a suit to interview, though, and was probably still overdressed the first day or two.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1319 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:13 PM »

I started reading Bridge over San Luis Rey today. The most engrossing book I've read since The Fountainhead. I'm already a third of the way finished.

Running through Paul Ryan's book review list these days?

I can recommend some books if you are interested.... PM me anytime as always.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1320 on: June 27, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »

means tuxedo + chef's hat.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1321 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »

It's 1 AM and I'm laughing at "What, you egg?"
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1322 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

The Agatha Christie book, or something else entirely?

The Agatha Christie book, yes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1323 on: June 28, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2017, 05:23:54 PM by Cath »

Spent a good deal of my late morning/early afternoon telling people (in vain, presumably) why they should hire me. Now I wait for the disappointment. That, combined with four hours of work has left me incredibly drained. I'm tired of telling people why I'm worthy to finally have white collar employment.

(I also applied to a position at my school; its pay is adequate and being hired would severely discount my graduate education)

EDIT: This will be my third day without off-the-clock exercise. Pathetic, but this has been a hectic few days. Hopefully I have my mojo back on Thursday just enough to ignore the disappointment of the lack of a call-back.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1324 on: June 28, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »

I am finally out of school
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies