Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:52:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 112749 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: July 04, 2017, 12:17:08 AM »

I just realized how ridiculous the word "noon" is and laughed for 10 minutes
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1351 on: July 04, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »

I usually don't post about personal things anymore but I need to get this off my chest.

I got home from visiting my grandmother just a few minutes ago. Because I'm returning to college on Sunday, this may have been my last opportunity to see her at least until November/December. She is not in good shape. She lives alone in a house (with two cats, whose fur is matted from months of going without grooming because my grandmother is simply not in the condition to take them) and part of the reason my mother and I visited was so my mom could refill her pills. She takes 8 pills a day. She's confused and forgetful. She doesn't eat or drink anything other than soda or iced tea. She smokes all day. She doesn't look good. She can hardly walk. She's not in good shape at all.

This is the first time I've been confronted with the reality that she may die soon. I've always been closer to her than I ever was to anyone else in my family, including my parents. I've made so many wonderful memories with her, and even though she's a stubborn, Catholic, conservative Irish New Yorker, she has always been my best friend. I don't know how I'm supposed to cope with the fact that she doesn't have long, but I can't imagine how bad it will be when she actually does die. It's going to sound horrible, but part of me hopes she dies while I'm at college so I don't have to be home when I hear my mom when she first finds out. Part of me hopes she dies before she gets really bad, to the point that she can't walk or needs to be hospitalized for an extended amount or time or something. I just don't know what to think, but I'm very depressed right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1352 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »

I usually don't post about personal things anymore but I need to get this off my chest.

I got home from visiting my grandmother just a few minutes ago. Because I'm returning to college on Sunday, this may have been my last opportunity to see her at least until November/December. She is not in good shape. She lives alone in a house (with two cats, whose fur is matted from months of going without grooming because my grandmother is simply not in the condition to take them) and part of the reason my mother and I visited was so my mom could refill her pills. She takes 8 pills a day. She's confused and forgetful. She doesn't eat or drink anything other than soda or iced tea. She smokes all day. She doesn't look good. She can hardly walk. She's not in good shape at all.

This is the first time I've been confronted with the reality that she may die soon. I've always been closer to her than I ever was to anyone else in my family, including my parents. I've made so many wonderful memories with her, and even though she's a stubborn, Catholic, conservative Irish New Yorker, she has always been my best friend. I don't know how I'm supposed to cope with the fact that she doesn't have long, but I can't imagine how bad it will be when she actually does die. It's going to sound horrible, but part of me hopes she dies while I'm at college so I don't have to be home when I hear my mom when she first finds out. Part of me hopes she dies before she gets really bad, to the point that she can't walk or needs to be hospitalized for an extended amount or time or something. I just don't know what to think, but I'm very depressed right now.

I've been there. Best wishes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1353 on: July 04, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »

- Tomorrow The Orange Sunshine of Mankind is coming to my city and, since I live in downtown, it'll be annoying.

- My uncle's GF was diagnosed with kidney cancer and it is not know yet if it's fatal or not.

- I haven't written more than two paragraphs in the last week.

- I need to visit a dentist ASAP, because my tooth is giving me a hell.

What a nice day.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1354 on: July 04, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »

I'm currently in Missouri. Tomorrow we're driving up to Saint Louis and staying there until Monday.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1355 on: July 04, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »

Just met my goal of getting a dozen petitions for Florida's potential 2018 felon voting rights amendment. Two of my neighbors were no on it for a while now but I convinced them to at least help it get to a vote even if they didn't intend to vote for it.

...only 700,000 to go, or something like that Tongue
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1356 on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:48 AM »

Just met my goal of getting a dozen petitions for Florida's potential 2018 felon voting rights amendment. Two of my neighbors were no on it for a while now but I convinced them to at least help it get to a vote even if they didn't intend to vote for it.

...only 700,000 to go, or something like that Tongue

Is there an electronic version I can sign? I fully support this idea and would like to see it put to a vote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1357 on: July 05, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »

Is there an electronic version I can sign? I fully support this idea and would like to see it put to a vote.

https://floridarrc.com/volunteer#petition

If you can, it would help to bug your friends and family to fill it out Tongue. The best argument I've had with people is what I was talking about above, that even if they don't support it personally or are undecided, merely signing the petition only gets it to a vote, where 60% is required. The idea is that we can at least give the idea a fair shot with the people of Florida.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1358 on: July 05, 2017, 01:03:35 AM »

I'm currently in Missouri. Tomorrow we're driving up to Saint Louis and staying there until Monday.
What are you doing here in flawless beautiful St. Louis?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1359 on: July 05, 2017, 02:34:33 AM »

What are you doing here in flawless beautiful St. Louis?
A short vacation. My father, a major in the Army Reserves, has drill there once a month, and we're going up with him this time to stay until Monday morning.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1360 on: July 05, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

I've had a long coversation with a theology graduate, who happened to be a schizophrenic who just ran out of his meds.

It was an interesting experience.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1361 on: July 05, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »

I've had a long coversation with a theology graduate, who happened to be a schizophrenic who just ran out of his meds.

Now I'm curious. Mind telling us some of the highlights?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1362 on: July 05, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

Now I'm curious. Mind telling us some of the highlights?

Been to hospital for a routine matter and he went to me. For some weird reason people approach me quite frequently (which is a nightmare during all parties). It was actually less of a conversation, more me listening to his random ramblings on such topics as abandoning faith for a woman, playing a "holy family" with his female friend, training in celibacy, Jesus and taxes and... well, that's all I can say from the top of my head at the moment.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1363 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2017, 03:21:12 PM by Cath »

Interview on Friday for a job or jobs I actually want. Hopefully this goes well. Also, I qualified for $2,000 of federal work study for the upcoming school year. I'm shopping around to professors to see if any of them would be willing to have me as an "assistant". The two I emailed today are, respectively, a former boss, and a very nice guy that would probably be willing just to sign timesheets. I've got to start applying for other positions again, especially since some that I might conceivably be qualified for are still up. The former (being from there) studies Africa, so if I could pull this off, it'd be a welcome addition to my rather Eurocentric (or Sovietcentric) knowledge/credentials. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1364 on: July 06, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

After a couple of long years I'm re-reading the Old Testament and I concurr with the opinion it's the best crime/gore book ever.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1365 on: July 06, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »

After a couple of long years I'm re-reading the Old Testament and I concurr with the opinion it's the best crime/gore book ever.

You didn't go The Donald's speech?  SAD!
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1366 on: July 06, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »

Heading to Fort Wayne, IN today for this weekend's Rubik's Cube Nationals!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1367 on: July 06, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »

I might end up heading to San Francisco next month for a period of a few months, potentially to stay in the area long term, though I wouldn't necessarily want to lock myself into long term housing right now, while things remain uncertain.

After having been in Australia for so many years, I've forgotten how to search for apartments in the USA.  I think for my last apartment before leaving for Australia, I was using a site like apartments.com, but maybe I'm misremembering.

For those of you who've done this before, any advice on how to find apartments online, and doing so in a way that filters out lease terms of 1 year+?  I could do a 6 month lease or less, but I don't really get how to specify that in the search terms on any of these websites.  Also, ideally looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with no roommates.  I understand that that's a hideously expensive place to live, and I can afford it, but at the same time, I don't want to end up paying much more than necessary because of not looking in the right places.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1368 on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

You didn't go The Donald's speech?  SAD!

He's too awesome for me to survive a RL contact, even a visual one.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1369 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »

Mr. Morden,

Unfortunately, I do not know of any large rental websites that allow you to restrict your searches by lease length. But trulia and apartments.com have some pretty good listings for San Francisco and you can include the surrounding areas with the map feature if you want to consider places outside of the city limits.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1370 on: July 06, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »

Yeah, apartments isn't bad, Craigslist is hit-and-miss.

But you'd be smarter to aim for the East Bay and commute over to The City. Less congested, cheaper, warmer, and the streets smell acceptable.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1371 on: July 06, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »

Now that you mention it,
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apartment-6month-lease-46774.html

But make certain you don't annoy the landlord. He might engage in extreme measures to evict you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7n4Gg-_ac
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1372 on: July 06, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »

Interview tomorrow. I don't want to think about it too much, so I guess I'll be skipping my first few hours of work to shower and prepare tomorrow.

Meanwhile, been watching Venture Brothers recently, so I've been drawing more.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1373 on: July 07, 2017, 12:10:43 AM »

I might end up heading to San Francisco next month for a period of a few months, potentially to stay in the area long term, though I wouldn't necessarily want to lock myself into long term housing right now, while things remain uncertain.

After having been in Australia for so many years, I've forgotten how to search for apartments in the USA.  I think for my last apartment before leaving for Australia, I was using a site like apartments.com, but maybe I'm misremembering.

For those of you who've done this before, any advice on how to find apartments online, and doing so in a way that filters out lease terms of 1 year+?  I could do a 6 month lease or less, but I don't really get how to specify that in the search terms on any of these websites.  Also, ideally looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with no roommates.  I understand that that's a hideously expensive place to live, and I can afford it, but at the same time, I don't want to end up paying much more than necessary because of not looking in the right places.

Hmm-- IDK since when I lived in South Bay five years back, my employers was covering housing, but here might be a few additional tips to consider when trying to find housing in the Bay Area.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/student-loans/housing-websites-living-in-san-francisco/
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1374 on: July 07, 2017, 04:17:48 AM »

I got a higher score on my AP Language and Composition (5) exam than my AP Government and Politics (4) one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies