Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:15:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 112692 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: August 11, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »

mazel tov b**ches, im drunk

pre-shabbos drunk life

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1601 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »

I thought about it and I'm gonna try to take a long break from this forum and politics in general. I might come back when the Democrats aren't a giant disappointment and/or I stop feeling bouts of depression from this political environment. Right now none of this is good for my mental health.

Well, I hope to see you back soon.  All in all, you're one of the better posters here.

Honestly, I've thought of doing the same.  Ever since I started becoming much more active on this site, I can't stay off of it.  Honestly, I think getting into arguments where I end up somehow being responsible for racism in America or something crazy like that is changing my mood in general.  I have been so angry lately, usually after a crazy thread with arguments everywhere that are flat-out ridiculous or insulting.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1602 on: August 12, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »

I thought about it and I'm gonna try to take a long break from this forum and politics in general. I might come back when the Democrats aren't a giant disappointment and/or I stop feeling bouts of depression from this political environment. Right now none of this is good for my mental health.

Understandable -- I took a healthy break post-election for this reason. Hopefully you're able to return soon; I'll miss your commentary on OC elections!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1603 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »

In the winter/spring semester of this year--as in, my last semester of undergrad, I took a domestic terrorism graduate class. For the final paper, I opted to do a sweeping survey of terrorism rather than focus on one group, and as such, I reviewed every incident on US soil from 2012 to 2015, which were then the four most recent years. It was a massive undertaking and, in my mind, constituted original research, so I flirted with trying to publish it. My conclusion, adborn out by the data, was that while right-wing terrorism was more common, Islamic (I don't know how you want to phrase that--"Islamist"?) terrorism was more deadly on a per capital and a total basis. My findings were already invalidated owing to the Global Terrorism Database's publication of 2016 statistics which finally happened sometime this year. But it is the events of yesterday that really (A) make me believe that trying to publish such a document might be in poor taste, and (B) want to review the 2016 data to observe the rise of political violence and specifically the type that comes from conventional ideology.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1604 on: August 13, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »

In the winter/spring semester of this year--as in, my last semester of undergrad, I took a domestic terrorism graduate class. For the final paper, I opted to do a sweeping survey of terrorism rather than focus on one group, and as such, I reviewed every incident on US soil from 2012 to 2015, which were then the four most recent years. It was a massive undertaking and, in my mind, constituted original research, so I flirted with trying to publish it. My conclusion, adborn out by the data, was that while right-wing terrorism was more common, Islamic (I don't know how you want to phrase that--"Islamist"?) terrorism was more deadly on a per capital and a total basis. My findings were already invalidated owing to the Global Terrorism Database's publication of 2016 statistics which finally happened sometime this year. But it is the events of yesterday that really (A) make me believe that trying to publish such a document might be in poor taste, and (B) want to review the 2016 data to observe the rise of political violence and specifically the type that comes from conventional ideology.

The problem with trying to analyze things like the relative deadliness of terrorist incidents is just that there are so many external factors that can determine how destructive an attack is. The statistics on deaths/attack by type moved dramatically last year just on the Pulse Nightclub shooting, despite the fact that it was a pretty poorly planned-out spree shooting. The Boston bombings, meanwhile, only killed a few people, despite being extremely sophisticated and planned for months, just because the bombs were placed down low, and ended up injuring hundreds in their legs, but critically wounding only a few people.

If you wanted a sample size big enough to compensate for all these tiny things that can get in the way, you'd have to start including all acts of terrorism in Europe as well, and maybe even domestic attacks in the Middle East as well. The problem then becomes reliable data, since a car bombing in Damascus a few months ago would just not get the same amount of analysis as, say, the underwear bomber.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1605 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »

My (now ex-)girlfriend and I broke up today. 2 year relationship ended because she decided to outright ignore me for 2 days and spend today posting pics of another guy on Snapchat sleeping over, them drinking milkshakes together with hearts, and him shirtless making pizzas, while not bothering to read my messages or message me back.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1606 on: August 13, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »

My (now ex-)girlfriend and I broke up today. 2 year relationship ended because she decided to outright ignore me for 2 days and spend today posting pics of another guy on Snapchat sleeping over, them drinking milkshakes together with hearts, and him shirtless making pizzas, while not bothering to read my messages or message me back.

Thats awful. wow. Sad
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #1607 on: August 13, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »

Dang, I'm sorry.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1608 on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »

That sucks, man. Does she have a car? I would go Carrie Underwood on that sh**t.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1609 on: August 13, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »

That sucks, man. Does she have a car? I would go Carrie Underwood on that sh**t.

What is wrong with you?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1610 on: August 13, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

wtf
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1611 on: August 13, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »

What is wrong with you?

He has to stand up for himself.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1612 on: August 13, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »

What is wrong with you?

He has to stand up for himself.

This is what a feminist looks like y'all!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1613 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »

"Feminist" does not mean taking the woman's side in everything sheesh, some people really buy into the worst stereotypes
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1614 on: August 13, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »

That is so messed up. Sorry to hear!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1615 on: August 13, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »

Yeah, cheating confirmed. She told my friend, since he messaged her about this, and said "he broke up with me lolol. I'm sad, but I don't deserve to be." Some people can be pretty awful. Not going to let it ruin my perception of other people though.

Also thanks guys! I truly appreciate all the support Smiley
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1616 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2017, 04:09:38 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

"Feminist" does not mean taking the woman's side in everything sheesh, some people really buy into the worst stereotypes

It means protecting women from violence not encouraging it...

e: and sorry to hear about this entire incident / distract from it, Jacobin
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1617 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »

Nah, man. That's rather petty and uncalled for. If she has a conscience at all, that'll do worse to her in the end than anything I could do.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1618 on: August 13, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »

Sorry to hear that JA; I can only imagine how crushing that would be.

In any case, I had the benefit of running into the family of a friend from primary school after mass today. The father, who was my confirmation sponsor, was attempting to induce me to join the Knights of Columbus. The family is Catholic, conservative, middle-class (white collar father, but five kids); it constituted an interesting foray into the land of Reaganism which I haven't really lived in for a while (real patriots and civic republicans--Boy Scouts, sports, ROTC, etc.). I developed a habit of giving the wrong name to strangers as a means of CYA, so I semi-unintentionally gave the KofC rep a false first name, despite myself being the son of the former organist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1619 on: August 13, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

The problem with trying to analyze things like the relative deadliness of terrorist incidents is just that there are so many external factors that can determine how destructive an attack is. The statistics on deaths/attack by type moved dramatically last year just on the Pulse Nightclub shooting, despite the fact that it was a pretty poorly planned-out spree shooting. The Boston bombings, meanwhile, only killed a few people, despite being extremely sophisticated and planned for months, just because the bombs were placed down low, and ended up injuring hundreds in their legs, but critically wounding only a few people.

If you wanted a sample size big enough to compensate for all these tiny things that can get in the way, you'd have to start including all acts of terrorism in Europe as well, and maybe even domestic attacks in the Middle East as well. The problem then becomes reliable data, since a car bombing in Damascus a few months ago would just not get the same amount of analysis as, say, the underwear bomber.

All things that I'll concede. That said, I benefited from the fact that the GTD records both those killed and those injured, so high-impact attacks that nevertheless killed few people could still affect statistics (for the Tsarnaevs, what, 1 or 2 killed in contrast to the hundreds injured). What was sort of revealing was how commonplace and very spur-of-the-moment the attacks I labeled "right-wing" appeared--many abortion clinic incidents and I believe attacks on, say, minorities or Muslims seemed, base on the details, as though as they had been thought of the night before, if not the moment of. The very few left-wing incidents that were to be found--eight, I recall--seemed like the product of "lifestyle" choices; people that had previously identified as committed anarchists, identifiable groups like the ALF, etc. Islamic incidents appeared to be much more of the former. Somewhat poignant in this moment of "both sides do it"-ism was when a student asked while I was presenting what I believed to be the greater threat to public safety, and I deferred instead to the method of radicalization rather than ideology. 2016, I think, would represent an identifiable "remilitarization" of politics which I think would be worth exploring (and if my attitude masks that I believe this to be a very dark fact, please don't be mistaken).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1620 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »

[F]inks adultswim.com.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1621 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »

That's terrible, JA.  You deserve much better and someone will come along who is better.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1622 on: August 14, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »

You're better off without her, JA. Still sucks, but you deserve more than that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1623 on: August 14, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »

Nah, man. That's rather petty and uncalled for. If she has a conscience at all, that'll do worse to her in the end than anything I could do.
I'm sorry man. You clearly are a good guy and will rebound from this. Meanwhile, she will be dropped high and dry by this guy most likely.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1624 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »

Tomorrow is my 30th birthday.  I will no longer be young. 
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies