Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111553 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »

This is how I feel today Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »

Power's out due to ridiculous winds, and my family's residence is still in flux, so I'm chilling with my housemates while we wait this out. I'm tryin'a get into my workplace tomorrow to recharge my devices and do laundry. Need to buy more essential clothing- I'm running out every 6 or less days!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »

Currently losing my sh**t over the IASIP finale. Would go into further details, but spoilers await.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2017, 01:18:20 AM »

I ran into my literature professor at the Willie Nelson concert. She reminded me I had a midterm tomorrow. Willie started strong but there was a serious lull in the middle. At one point the crowds idle chat was louder than Willie. I was almost borderline pissed to be honest-it seemed disrespectful, though I must admit even I was tuning out too. Willie would sing out lyrics to a crowd, but no one would shout back. There were literally extended dead silence, but none the less he got his groove back and the crowd was soon eating out of his hands.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »

I was late to work today because the Anti-Circumcision protest movement "Bloodstained Men" held a demonstration ON THE BUSIEST ROAD IN THE CITY where my work and blocked the whole road.

If you're gonna do that, make it a worthy cause... Are those protesters liberals or conservatives generally? No idea.

I have no idea, this is their website http://www.bloodstainedmen.com/

In my experience, it's mostly conservative-leaning libertarians, but definitely not "Republicans." A significant amount of overlap with Reddit. I saw a flyer for one group in Seattle with the headline "Men's rights are human rights!" so... yeah.

Libertas is a really staunch circumcision opponent, FWIW.  It's not an issue I really care about and thankfully it's not something that occupies the minds of most people, so I don't bother arguing with him or anyone else about it.

But having protests over it just looks silly, IMO.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »

I ran into my literature professor at the Willie Nelson concert. She reminded me I had a midterm tomorrow. Willie started strong but there was a serious lull in the middle. At one point the crowds idle chat was louder than Willie. I was almost borderline pissed to be honest-it seemed disrespectful, though I must admit even I was tuning out too. Willie would sing out lyrics to a crowd, but no one would shout back. There were literally extended dead silence, but none the less he got his groove back and the crowd was soon eating out of his hands.

The man is 83.  Glad you got to go see him.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

been kind of inactive past few weeks.

i have pneumonia, so missing work today. i hate missing work for sicknesses, but pneumonia won this time.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

Cathcon, what, precisely, is your major? Poli-sci? IR?

Double major in political science and criminal justice studies.

Nice. My mom was a sociology/criminal justice double major.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »

I found out that Trump is having a rally in Nashville next week and got a ticket!  I'm really excited!!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »

To my very pleasant surprise, the proposal I submitted back in February for an academic conference was unexpectedly accepted, so I will be participating as a presenter at this conference in May in Kingston with my topic "Political Polarization in Colombia since 2012".
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »

To my very pleasant surprise, the proposal I submitted back in February for an academic conference was unexpectedly accepted, so I will be participating as a presenter at this conference in May in Kingston with my topic "Political Polarization in Colombia since 2012".

Congrats!  Do you mean Kingston, NY??
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »

Congratulations, Gael Smiley
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »

The only reason I didn't post at all for the last 26 hours has been the great power outage. America isn't great! Third world electricity system!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »

It was actually Foucaulf who suggested to me I might want to pursue sociology later in life as opposed to, say, a doctorate in political science. The "comparative politics" I tend to pay attention to actually happens to be sociology, and criminology as well happens to fall into the discipline.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »

The only reason I didn't post at all for the last 26 hours has been the great power outage. America isn't great! Third world electricity system!

No one noticed or missed you.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »

Quite the week.  Got offered graduate assistantships at University of Georgia and Georgia Tech.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »

No one noticed or missed you.

-ExtremeRepublican certainly noticed (not sure if missed).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #617 on: March 10, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 12:07:16 AM by AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE! »

It was actually Foucaulf who suggested to me I might want to pursue sociology later in life as opposed to, say, a doctorate in political science. The "comparative politics" I tend to pay attention to actually happens to be sociology, and criminology as well happens to fall into the discipline.

I'm discovering with horror that US political science has been almost entirely been colonized by economics, to the point that a good part of its research is merely the application of the tools of economic analysis to questions heretofore understood as political. There is a small niche that's fighting a losing battle to resist this conquest, and I think I'm going to try and contribute to that fight, but I can understand why others might want to give up and move to safer havens like sociology.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #618 on: March 10, 2017, 12:49:43 AM »

My Wife got a job offer yesterday starting at $13/Hr + OT options (Mandatory or Voluntary)....   

As a line worker on grave shift for a major retailer in a giant warehouse that supplies product for a 4 Million Pop State.

Although it's not a Union Job, it pays well above Oregon minimum wage, with a fast track to a $2-3/Hr Wage increase after six months.... 

It still has a Seniority based system, but most likely she will be able to move to a regular Day or Swing shift once some of the young folk that can't hack the Grave shift decide to drop out....

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #619 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »

My Wife got a job offer yesterday starting at $13/Hr + OT options (Mandatory or Voluntary)....   

As a line worker on grave shift for a major retailer in a giant warehouse that supplies product for a 4 Million Pop State.

Although it's not a Union Job, it pays well above Oregon minimum wage, with a fast track to a $2-3/Hr Wage increase after six months.... 

It still has a Seniority based system, but most likely she will be able to move to a regular Day or Swing shift once some of the young folk that can't hack the Grave shift decide to drop out....

Does she have the option to unionize later on?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #620 on: March 10, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »

I just f&*ked myself out of a job!

I did everything right, except I assumed today was the 9th and prepared accordingly for that...it's the 10th! 

Dammit!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #621 on: March 10, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »

Congrats!  Do you mean Kingston, NY??

Haha no, Kingston in Ontario at Queen's University
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #622 on: March 10, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

I just f&*ked myself out of a job!

I did everything right, except I assumed today was the 9th and prepared accordingly for that...it's the 10th! 

Dammit!

Ugh, I'm sorry. Sad
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #623 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »

My boss told me there is a good chance he might be closing his doors of his business and told all of us today to probably start looking for another job soon. He said the last two months he's been in the negative when it comes to profits.
Foucaulf
« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »

I think you mixed up people here. It was DFB then Ebsy who first made that comment, and I think I only thought it was funny or something.

I'm discovering with horror that US political science has been almost entirely been colonized by economics, to the point that a good part of its research is merely the application of the tools of economic analysis to questions heretofore understood as political. There is a small niche that's fighting a losing battle to resist this conquest, and I think I'm going to try and contribute to that fight, but I can understand why others might want to give up and move to safer havens like sociology.

I disagree vehemently with this characterization but, more importantly, American sociology isn't that different either. I guess you have to elaborate on whether you think using statistical tools is "economic analysis" as well.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies