Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111551 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

Oh, by the way, I'm a published author.

Welcome to the club Smiley Congratulations.

Thanks, it feels awesome.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »

I got a terrible grade on an assignment that I did everything in my power to meet the criteria for and jumped through a lot of hoops to get done despite personal discomfort with the material, which I admitted to in the assignment and which the professor's comments were complimentary towards me for being willing to work through. It's so bad--literally the worst grade I've gotten on any assignment in any class in years--that I sat there in shock for several minutes looking at it trying to figure out what the hell I did to deserve it. I'm going to talk to the professor tomorrow and  see if it would be reasonable to ask for specific, concrete guidance on the actual writing process for the next few of these assignments. No sane, normal, good, non-fat-disgusting-moron person would need that for spiritual reflection papers, but apparently I do. This is my very last class in my master's and whatever grade I get in it will be right there at the end of my transcript like a punctuation mark for the rest of my life. And, as much good as it would do the world if I just croaked already, I'm selfish enough that I actually do want to live.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #877 on: May 03, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »

Have you guys ever hurt the top part/joint of your thumb? The joint connecting the second phalanx?

Or basically (24) on this diagram:

I don't understand how but I woke up feeling like I bent that part way too far in my sleep and now it just...hurts. I'm wondering how long this is going to take to heal now. I know this kind of pain from other joints, and it is definitely not going to be a few day ordeal.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #878 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »

I got a terrible grade on an assignment that I did everything in my power to meet the criteria for and jumped through a lot of hoops to get done despite personal discomfort with the material, which I admitted to in the assignment and which the professor's comments were complimentary towards me for being willing to work through. It's so bad--literally the worst grade I've gotten on any assignment in any class in years--that I sat there in shock for several minutes looking at it trying to figure out what the hell I did to deserve it. I'm going to talk to the professor tomorrow and  see if it would be reasonable to ask for specific, concrete guidance on the actual writing process for the next few of these assignments. No sane, normal, good, non-fat-disgusting-moron person would need that for spiritual reflection papers, but apparently I do. This is my very last class in my master's and whatever grade I get in it will be right there at the end of my transcript like a punctuation mark for the rest of my life. And, as much good as it would do the world if I just croaked already, I'm selfish enough that I actually do want to live.

Don't beat yourself up like that!  I have been humbled by college coursework and had some yikes exam results, but things always work out in the end.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #879 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »

Skipped a bus because the creepy thing was on it. Waiting for the next one. The only other person at the stop at first was someone I have a stupid crush on at the moment. Small downside to attempting to move on from my previous obsession. There are other people waiting at the stop now.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »

very frustrated right now. work has been a struggle this week
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2017, 12:23:23 AM »

honestly, f**k people. tired of being a half-decent person.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2017, 06:27:51 PM »

So, as of Monday, I resumed last year's summer job at the school's Facility Operations department. Spent the first two hours of this morning laying and cutting sod in the rain. We had some laughs joking about potential Batman sequels.

Whilst still waiting to obtain Real PersonTM employment, I have, with some slight encouragement, decided to resume the Job SearchTM. In case my "sure thing" doesn't pan out, I have every responsibility to seek a means of sustenance.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #883 on: May 04, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »

I'm smoking like a chimney.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #884 on: May 04, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

Unsure if you mean cigarettes or the dread marijuana, but as a former admitted smoker of the former, I advise against it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #885 on: May 04, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »

Unsure if you mean cigarettes or the dread marijuana, but as a former admitted smoker of the former, I advise against it.

The latter.  Never tobacco.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #886 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »

The latter.  Never tobacco.

#RIP
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #887 on: May 04, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »

I have to sell advertisements door-to-door for a school project. It's genuinely depressing work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #888 on: May 04, 2017, 08:06:18 PM »

I have to sell advertisements door-to-door for a school project. It's genuinely depressing work.

I once left an internship with the MI GOP due to the fact that they wanted me to get petitions signed.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »

I once left an internship with the MI GOP due to the fact that they wanted me to get petitions signed.

Can't blame you.

Talked to one lady who cut me off as I spoke because she wasn't interested, stopped me as I walked out the door to ask what I was selling, and then cut me off again (more harshly) because she wasn't interested.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »

Can't blame you.

Talked to one lady who cut me off as I spoke because she wasn't interested, stopped me as I walked out the door to ask what I was selling, and then cut me off again (more harshly) because she wasn't interested.
hey I thought my social skills were bad...
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »

Can't blame you.

I was going door-to-door in Georgia in 2014, and at one house, I got out of the car, and the family was gathered outside for some sort of party.  One woman screams at me that "whatever you're selling, we don't want it unless it is free", and I tell them I am not selling anything and explain that I was volunteering with the GA GOP.  Then she says "we're all Democrats here, we're not interested".  But, as I am just starting to walk away, and old Southern lady speaks up "Except for me... I'm a felon so I can't vote".  I got back in the car and told everyone else the story, and one person said that she thought she saw a chainsaw in the yard, so we got a couple blocks away before we got out of the car again!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »

Finally Finished Fatal Finals
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: May 04, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »

Can't blame you.

I've done door-to-door sales and I've collected signatures on petitions. Either way I got doors slammed in my face. You will, too. Success rests on recognizing that as a fact of life and moving on to the next door. In the end I found that more doors were open than closed. Then again, there was that time I almost had my calf chomped off by a dog with an unfriendly owner ...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #894 on: May 05, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »

Practically done with my duties for this five hour workday, and I have three hours left of it. Coworker and I are chilling on our phones in a dusty basement, possibly until he gets off (an hour before I do).
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »

Thanks for the advice, guys. It means a lot.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #896 on: May 05, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »

My house is too cold to concentrate on my "studies" (self-imposed book learning sought out of sheer boredom combined with the intention to use in later projects). Meanwhile, it's looking like I'll pay my own graduation fee (and twice that of the normal fee), so I'm relatively destitute. Work tomorrow, which will thankfully save me from going in sometime later in the workweek (the school measures work periods starting on Saturday and ending on Friday). Gym's closed at the school Friday through Sunday, so I've little to do today aside from eat and watch Netflix. We already cleaned as well! Meanwhile, in my boredom, I'm prematurely contemplating other areas of study and looking again at the websites of schools I'd planned to apply to. If I'm not hired in a timely fashion, there's a chance I'll be looking at the GRE sometime this summer.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

My mom asked me in the middle of Walmart if I wanted to wear women's clothes. Would have furthered my position of "eventually" to "I'd prefer to take hormones first, making the switch as I 'blossom'" if I weren't in the middle of Walmart.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »

Stuck at work 'til 2 PM, so I read through the article version of Hannah Arendt's "On Violence" as a substitute for book readin' (too loud in here to concentrate on Barrington Moore's prose).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

Anyone have any good suggestions for a Political Science Senior Thesis topic? I'm thinking of doing something that involves things like:
-Election cycles
-Voting behavior
-Why candidates win or lose (at Congressional or Presidential level)
-Factors at play in elections
-Alternatives to the Electoral College, or other electoral reforms

I'll be finishing this about a year from now, so something related to the 2018 midterms could be good as well.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies