Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:46:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111564 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: May 06, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »

Anyone have any good suggestions for a Political Science Senior Thesis topic? I'm thinking of doing something that involves things like:
-Election cycles
-Voting behavior
-Why candidates win or lose (at Congressional or Presidential level)
-Factors at play in elections
-Alternatives to the Electoral College, or other electoral reforms

I'll be finishing this about a year from now, so something related to the 2018 midterms could be good as well.

I worked for ten months on (and successfully defended!) an honors thesis that basically tried to test a few of the "prerequisites for democratization" in a certain book (The Third Wave, Samuel Huntington, 1991) on the former Soviet Union. Most of my other research ideas fall somewhere into the comparative field (and typically relating to violence or authoritarian regimes), so I'm not sure they'd be quite as relevant.

How does your school organize the political science major? At mine, a "senior seminar" concentrates on a particular topic (mine happened to be "Communism & Post-Communism") and ends with a research paper (usually expected to be around twenty pages, though mine--different from my thesis--was shorter). It seems like you have a (non-honors) opportunity to pick your own topic, which would be markedly different from that of an undergraduate political science student at my school.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #901 on: May 06, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »

I was going to do this for honors in Political Science. The only directions provided are: "The thesis must investigate a clear research question, whether empirical or normative.  It must rigorously examine data, texts, and/or other evidence to evaluate that question.  It must be or exceed 25 double-spaced pages in length, not including any bibliography or appendices.  The expectation is that the thesis will be of extraordinary quality, exceeding that of the typical research paper in an upper-division political science course." So yeah it seems pretty open.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #902 on: May 06, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »

Anyone have any good suggestions for a Political Science Senior Thesis topic? I'm thinking of doing something that involves things like:
-Election cycles
-Voting behavior

I'll be finishing this about a year from now, so something related to the 2018 midterms could be good as well.

Are you more inclined to a topic where you have to deal with practical statistics or one that is more theoretical in nature?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #903 on: May 06, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

-Election cycles
-Voting behavior

Are you more inclined to a topic where you have to deal with practical statistics or one that is more theoretical in nature?

Probably more practical though overall light on the statistical side, like one idea that I'm interested in is recommending a replacement of the Electoral College more in line with democratic values. They also offer honors for those above a certain GPA threshold in upper level political science courses, so hopefully I can reach that instead (which would save me a lot of trouble).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #904 on: May 06, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

-Election cycles
-Voting behavior

Probably more practical though overall light on the statistical side, like one idea that I'm interested in is recommending a replacement of the Electoral College more in line with democratic values. They also offer honors for those above a certain GPA threshold in upper level political science courses, so hopefully I can reach that instead (which would save me a lot of trouble).

That sounds reasonable. It also seems we've had a wealth of ideas and even some pretty good analyses of how other options compare here on Atlas. Those might give you some interesting directions to pursue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #905 on: May 06, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

I have to sell advertisements door-to-door for a school project. It's genuinely depressing work.

I once left an internship with the MI GOP due to the fact that they wanted me to get petitions signed.
Been there done that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:41 PM »

-Election cycles
-Voting behavior

I'm a PhD student, currently trying to get started with my first serious research project. My focus is all about voting behavior, and there are a lot of interesting research questions to tackle there. Smiley

What type of data would you like to work with? Surveys? Actual election returns? Something fancier? Also, are you familiar with Stata or R? I can give you some tips for either.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific question. Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:33 PM »

Unsure if you mean cigarettes or the dread marijuana, but as a former admitted smoker of the former, I advise against it.

The latter.  Never tobacco.

Cool--- it you ever make it out to the West Coast or Colorado, and I can certainly do a pitch for Oregon tourism here, you'll find a plethora of options available at stores in most parts of the State.

Personally, I tend to prefer a nice dank beer, or some sips of fine Canadian Bourbon myself these days, and tend to reserve "smoking" for rarer occasions over the past ten years, but to each their own, and it is certainly healthier, especially now with vape kits and all that for ones lungs, although I'm still a cigarette smoker, so might be time to try a "smoking cessation" plan of switching to Weed instead of Tobacco like one of my friends did 12 years ago, to help the old lungs out!!!    Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #908 on: May 07, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »

Still sick, but the anti-biotics are helping.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »

I have deleted all of my social media apps. There's a giant, Twitter-shaped hole in my life, and I can't even tweet about it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

Thank you very much Muon, Cathcon, and Antonio! The advice is much appreciated, and I'm sure it'll come in handy.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #911 on: May 07, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »

Update: finished Rayman, now have Rayman-shaped hole in my life until I can find my Rayman 2 cartridge.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #912 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »

Played Lacrosse for the first time today. It's been six years since I regularly played a sport that involved similar movement (basketball), so this was a pretty significant workout (all my cardio has otherwise been distance, not speed).
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #913 on: May 07, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »

Played Lacrosse for the first time today. It's been six years since I regularly played a sport that involved similar movement (basketball), so this was a pretty significant workout (all my cardio has otherwise been distance, not speed).

Nice! I can't play sports requiring agility anymore. Every time I play basketball I manage to somehow hurt myself.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #914 on: May 07, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 08:05:37 PM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

Nice! I can't play sports requiring agility anymore. Every time I play basketball I manage to somehow hurt myself.

Oh, I was garbage at it, but if this becomes a regular thing, I'd like to do it so I get some significant outdoor and athletic time on the weekends (which, owing to my current impoverished state, are otherwise empty until further notice).

Also, I just discovered something called "Thug Notes" on Wisecrack. Fascinating. EDIT: Their video on "Watchmen" has me wanting to reread the thing. Love that book.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #915 on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 09:23:48 PM by Senator Scott »

Unsure if you mean cigarettes or the dread marijuana, but as a former admitted smoker of the former, I advise against it.

Cool--- it you ever make it out to the West Coast or Colorado, and I can certainly do a pitch for Oregon tourism here, you'll find a plethora of options available at stores in most parts of the State.

Personally, I tend to prefer a nice dank beer, or some sips of fine Canadian Bourbon myself these days, and tend to reserve "smoking" for rarer occasions over the past ten years, but to each their own, and it is certainly healthier, especially now with vape kits and all that for ones lungs, although I'm still a cigarette smoker, so might be time to try a "smoking cessation" plan of switching to Weed instead of Tobacco like one of my friends did 12 years ago, to help the old lungs out!!!    Wink

I'm strongly considering making a move to the West Coast, maybe after college.  (There is a seminary in Colorado I'm looking toward and the legal weed makes that option all the more appealing.)  I've found that weed helps me while all the anti-depression/anxiety pills, which I've been switching back and forth on almost my entire life, do either the bare minimum or make me feel worse.  With weed, I can mostly function normally on a low dose, I'm more motivated, I'm in a happier mood... best part is I don't have suicide on the mind constantly.  No mood swings or other weird side effects except hunger.

Oh yeah, and I feel more comfortable in social situations because my autism/social awkwardness is such an impediment otherwise.

I don't really know how to mix it in food without masking the taste, so I only smoke it, which I don't like doing.  I don't much care for alcohol except the occasional glass of wine after dinner.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #916 on: May 07, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »

Scott, you still desire to attend seminary? I had assumed you had abandoned your provincial attachment to belief.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #917 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 09:51:52 PM by Senator Scott »

Scott, you still desire to attend seminary? I had assumed you had abandoned your provincial attachment to belief.

I'm not going into ministry.  I've concluded that I'm much too flawed personally, and pessimistic about human beings in general, to in any way counsel to people in that capacity.  Right now I'm thinking about humanitarian work if my physical health improves.  (I considered enlisting for military chaplaincy, but I'd be disqualified on account of my medical needs.  Plus, suicidal people shouldn't work anywhere that guns are highly abound.)  AmeriCorps or the Peace Corps might be options assuming those are still around with Trump.

I don't know what I'll do after graduate school.  That's pretty much a blank.  I'm going to meet with my college chaplain when I get back to school and ask for advice.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #918 on: May 07, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

Yo Los Angeles is the weirdest place on Earth
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #919 on: May 07, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »

I'm strongly considering making a move to the West Coast, maybe after college.  (There is a seminary in Colorado I'm looking toward and the legal weed makes that option all the more appealing.)  I've found that weed helps me while all the anti-depression/anxiety pills, which I've been switching back and forth on almost my entire life, do either the bare minimum or make me feel worse.  With weed, I can mostly function normally on a low dose, I'm more motivated, I'm in a happier mood... best part is I don't have suicide on the mind constantly.  No mood swings or other weird side effects except hunger.

Oh yeah, and I feel more comfortable in social situations because my autism/social awkwardness is such an impediment otherwise.

I don't really know how to mix it in food without masking the taste, so I only smoke it, which I don't like doing.  I don't much care for alcohol except the occasional glass of wine after dinner.

Our youngest daughter actually decided about 4-5 months ago to quit her anti-anxiety medications, and before doing that went to a series of Doctors, because she wanted to have a relatively stable transition, especially for her twins and families sake...

The Doctor in addition to weaning her off of the heavy-duty anti-anxiety medications she was on, also recommended a high CBD and low THC combo (Which is easier to find in States like Oregon where both recreational and medicinal are not only legal, but wider options to chose from than even in many medicinal legal states...

Not sure if that is helpful at all for you, but if all the "Big Pharma" stuff they keep pushing you isn't helping, moving to a state where you can walk into a Doctor's office where they actually are in touch with the latest medical research on marijuana and mental health issues might.

I sure know that she's doing a tons better since she phased out all of her prescriptions, as well as the High-THC marijuana strains that she was using previously to self-medicate, and then shifted to High CBD and Low THC strains.

Regardless--- hoping you are having a good day... Smiley

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »

Thanks a bunch, NOVA Green.  I appreciate the info especially now as I have no clear idea of where I'm going to be in the years ahead (as well as my mom who is the only family I have where I'm currently living) and I am researching places that would be suitable for us and offer the kind of care that I need.  I'm glad to hear your daughter's doing better. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #921 on: May 08, 2017, 03:18:56 AM »

It has been pointed out to me - about 50 minutes ago - that I should go sleep. I'm happy to announce that I'm about to.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #922 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »

I'm analyzing an episode of the Middle for English class. I'm still trying to figure out why.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #923 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

My mom asked me in the middle of Walmart if I wanted to wear women's clothes. Would have furthered my position of "eventually" to "I'd prefer to take hormones first, making the switch as I 'blossom'" if I weren't in the middle of Walmart.
Sorry for the double post, but update: writing a short thing about this to my mom in email. Want someone to read over it to make sure it makes sense.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #924 on: May 08, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

My mom asked me in the middle of Walmart if I wanted to wear women's clothes. Would have furthered my position of "eventually" to "I'd prefer to take hormones first, making the switch as I 'blossom'" if I weren't in the middle of Walmart.
Sorry for the double post, but update: writing a short thing about this to my mom in email. Want someone to read over it to make sure it makes sense.

I can do to, but also get more than one person to read it over.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies