Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:48:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111280 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

The town whose municipal government my mom works in got hit by a tornado several nights ago. It's the first February tornado in Massachusetts in recorded history.

Was it bad?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

Congrats on finishing Cathcon! Hopefully they don't see it as awful as you do Sad

-

Off-topic, but does anyone know why there is only one Update thread on this board? I thought Bushie had one when he was here, so I imagine others would too. Why are they not allowed?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #527 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »

Congrats on finishing Cathcon! Hopefully they don't see it as awful as you do Sad

-

Off-topic, but does anyone know why there is only one Update thread on this board? I thought Bushie had one when he was here, so I imagine others would too. Why are they not allowed?

Actually, I had an idea of making one for a fictional character I created. Then I thought "is additional update threads frowned upon by atlas the same way making opinion threads of yourself is?"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #528 on: March 04, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »

Thanks, Virginia and Antonio. I'm a well-trained pessimist, and am continually reconditioned toward pessimism as a survival tactic. All three committee members are professors that have reacted relatively well to my writing--at some point, though not always permanently or consistently. That said, I simply don't believe in assuming that something I churn out is good--regardless of the months of work put in. I tend to do little proof-reading as is, which can allow for some logical skips. The (self-assigned) reading I'm doing right now for my senior seminar would actually fit in rather nicely to my conclusion, but in my ignorance, I "went it alone", as it were.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #529 on: March 04, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »

I'm writing a follow-up explaining most things related to the fact that I'm trans.
Sent. If any of you guys want to see either, I'll PM them to you.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #530 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »

The folks seem to prefer to pretend that I didn't say anything at all simply because it's easier. So I guess Operation Good Catholic Girl was a failure. Considering I'm 15, I don't know what I was expecting. I mean, I could always go nuclear and start writing new essays about the fact that I'm trans every couple days until they get annoyed to the point of accepting me, but I don't have the time, resources, or energy.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »

The folks seem to prefer to pretend that I didn't say anything at all simply because it's easier. So I guess Operation Good Catholic Girl was a failure. Considering I'm 15, I don't know what I was expecting. I mean, I could always go nuclear and start writing new essays about the fact that I'm trans every couple days until they get annoyed to the point of accepting me, but I don't have the time, resources, or energy.
I'm so sorry. I wish I had some advice to give you but I simply don't because I've never been in the circumstances you're in. I'm just so sorry.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »

My parents were not Catholic, but they were extremely socially-conservative protestants. It won't be easy. The struggles will take years to even get to the point of acknowledging it in an inane way. My best advice for you is to stay strong and look for support in those who accept you and those who are willing to lend you a hand. That's how my experience was for me anyways.

I would say that a letter won't be effective at this point, as you observed. The best step forward would be to arrange some sort of meeting with an intermediary (preferably a professional who can help them ease into it). When I first confronted my mom about it in person, I did so in front of the school counselor. I did it in the same room and in a meeting. After my mom broke down, I went to class and left her to the counselor. They stayed there for hours, but I'm not sure things couldn't have gone worse if I had done it cold turkey.

Although coming out of the closet as a gay man is slightly different, the dynamics, I imagine, shouldn't be. Let me know what you think.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »

The town whose municipal government my mom works in got hit by a tornado several nights ago. It's the first February tornado in Massachusetts in recorded history.

Was it bad?

Not as bad as it could have been--no deaths or serious injuries--but a lot of property damage and the town has been in chaos for the past week. Here's a link to tornado relief (don't ask me why they're doing it through GoFundMe).
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »

I'm so sorry. I wish I had some advice to give you but I simply don't because I've never been in the circumstances you're in. I'm just so sorry.
Thanks, I guess. I mean, even this worst case scenario is pretty good, considering other trans people's experiences. I get to do exactly as I intended: Two-and-a-half years of bottling it up, then beginning to transition immediately after I leave for college, just without awkwardly coming out as I do it.
My parents were not Catholic, but they were extremely socially-conservative protestants. It won't be easy.
Mine aren't even socially conservative. We're a bunch of CINOs (CsINO?), and they're center-left. I just happened to come out on Ash Wednesday, and they just happen to be confused by the whole transgender thing.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Logical steps, although like I said, I was gonna just feign maleness for the rest of high school. Although, I suppose I could start using my new email with my new (well, "new") name, and only said email.
That's an interesting story. I'm not out to any school counselors, and I don't intend to be, on account of the fact that I'm not sure how they'll react. Although, my 2nd and 3rd block teachers are rather pro-LGBT (the latter runs the GSA and has a wife (she's a girl, btw)!), so I suppose both of them will be somewhat accepting.
While being a gay man is obviously a far cry from being a trans woman, I'll consider finding a third party to help the folks come around to it a little better than Buttigieg or long-winded explanations of what I want to do to my body have.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »

That's awful!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #536 on: March 05, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »

Awful, sure, but like I said, it could be far worse, spelling more of an inconvenience than anything else. Keep in mind that it's only 2017, so a lot of the parents of this generation tend to think that we're too young to be making decisions like running with scissors and obtaining the hormones to match. Fortunately, I'll be 18 in just over two years, so I'll be able to begin transitioning then.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #537 on: March 05, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »

March 24th. I have 19 days to prepare to condense my thesis into a 15 minute presentation and contemplate what questions I would be forced to answer. I'll likely begin after break--I've got other papers and homework to work on, and one of my housemates and I are going on a road trip tomorrow morning.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

March 24th. I have 19 days to prepare to condense my thesis into a 15 minute presentation and contemplate what questions I would be forced to answer. I'll likely begin after break--I've got other papers and homework to work on, and one of my housemates and I are going on a road trip tomorrow morning.

If it helps, I found my thesis defense to be significantly less stressful than I was imagining in the weeks leading up to it. I can't speak for all schools, but the professors don't try to take you down or find tiny details to criticize you with, it's mostly about defending why you chose to tackle your issue with the tools you chose and how you think it could be improved upon by other scholars. If you know what you wrote and why you wrote it, you should be set.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »

If it helps, I found my thesis defense to be significantly less stressful than I was imagining in the weeks leading up to it. I can't speak for all schools, but the professors don't try to take you down or find tiny details to criticize you with, it's mostly about defending why you chose to tackle your issue with the tools you chose and how you think it could be improved upon by other scholars. If you know what you wrote and why you wrote it, you should be set.

I essentially took a few lines from "The Third Wave" (Huntington) and used them as hypotheses on democratization--specifically economic development (GNI per capita--a variable he identified) and religion (Western Christianity). Following the Introduction and Methodology, it's divided into two large sections discussing each in post-Soviet countries. One of my committee members is particularly anal about formatting, owing largely to his own extensive publishing record (he told me he advised his own children--now grown--not to have him edit their papers). Another member is a theory professor, but who I asked because he's very encouraging and personable. The chair is my adviser who's seen the most of this... thing, and I've received little pushback. This likely owes to just how long some of my drafts became, so it was hard to continually reread and recommend revisions. In any case, I'm rereading a few "comparative political sociology" foundational texts for my senior seminar which I think I could have afford to factor in, so those will probably be brought up in my responses to questions.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »

Cathcon, what, precisely, is your major? Poli-sci? IR?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

Are you friendly with anyone in your class that's also doing a thesis?  You could present to each other and practice asking each other questions that might come up in a defense.

My biggest advice is to try to relax and believe in yourself.  You are a very intelligent guy.  Sometimes the biggest obstacle is just making sure you don't freeze up.  I'm sure you've got this.  Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »

Cathcon, what, precisely, is your major? Poli-sci? IR?

Double major in political science and criminal justice studies.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #543 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »

The past 24 hours were some of the best of my life.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Care to elaborate?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »

Care to elaborate?

Yesterday, I had VIP tickets to see Dance Gavin Dance, Chon, Eidola, and Vasudeva in Lancaster, and that show was absolutely mindblowing. It was the first time I'd ever seen Dance Gavin Dance, and I got to meet them as well. Afterwards, my girlfriend picked me up and slept over, which is always a super nice feeling. I just felt so full of love the whole night and every morning that I wake up next to her, I'm so happy.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #546 on: March 06, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »

Made a joke about the scissors in class by explaining a potential defense for HB2: "Scissors are sharp, see. But not too sharp, because that wouldn't be a problem." When asked what the scissors meant, I motioned toward their use using my fingers. The class assumed that scissors where a metaphor for authority, rather than chopping my (well, the person who wields the scissors's) dick off.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #547 on: March 06, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

I seem to have gained a vain streak.  The gym is like a minute walk away from my flat so what I either do is go late at night and then go straight to bed after; or go in the morning and have a shower at home.  Today I did the former and when I was going to get my clothes to get dressed I noticed myself in the mirror (my wardrobe has a mirror front; you can't really avoid it) and for the first time I think ever I looked at myself and thought "damn, that's pretty good".  I then noticed five seconds later that I had started posing in the mirror and was looking like a total idiot; but I still felt good about myself and that's always nice.

Peebs; do you have somewhere safe where you could go and be, well, open about being trans?  I had a friend who was vaguely in the same position that you were in (a few differences: their parents were openly hostile at least for a time and they were slightly older so at uni but still living at home) and so for a short time (six months I think) we had this odd thing where when she'd come to visit a few people she'd be out but closeted at home and in public - I think she says that for her that was useful for a time, although it did eventually get frustrating because she wanted to be open all of the time.  I think that it helped her get some things worked out though so that she passed better in public, which is a good thing .  I think one part that helped more than anything else oddly was that I was staying at home with my folks at the time and they were OK with her being there, although it was my Mum that explained what transgender people were to me when I was like 11 (and in a pretty good way considering this was like 2003 or something: "people born as men who want to be a women or the other way round" was I think how it went; I think it helped me not develop toxic attitudes although most people my age generally don't) and the TV had one of those awful stories that they usually have, so they seem to be pretty damn open people and I'm lucky to have them as my folks.

I mean my advice might not be worth a damn (23 year old Scottish straight cis dude born to a presbyterian family although a very liberal one, although now I'm pretending to be Belgian) but it might be useful: if it isn't then please ignore it.  I hope things work out though!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

I'm going to see Willie fucking Nelson on Wednesday!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #549 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »

Peebs; do you have somewhere safe where you could go and be, well, open about being trans?
No, and due to my lack of transportation and willingness to come out to anyone else, I don't think I can arrange to have such a place either. Although, if I can, I'll try to. Like it was the case with the friend you mentioned, I could see it work for a while, if not becoming slightly annoying as I begin to feel as if I can take on the world while open about my being trans.
As I said, it could become useful, but thus far, I have little to no use for it. I hope it works out, too, even though that's obvious. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies