Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:55:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111443 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: March 10, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »

The use of statistical tools isn't the problem. I love playing around with R as much as any other nerd. The problem is the conceptual framework through which hypotheses (and, a fortiori, theories) in political science are formulated. Increasingly, this framework is becoming a mere transposition of the one on which economics is based: the voter, the legislator, or any other political actor, has become nothing more than a rational utility-maximizing homo oeconomicus.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 11:07:24 PM by Cathcon »

It was actually Foucaulf who suggested to me I might want to pursue sociology later in life as opposed to, say, a doctorate in political science. The "comparative politics" I tend to pay attention to actually happens to be sociology, and criminology as well happens to fall into the discipline.

I think you mixed up people here. It was DFB then Ebsy who first made that comment, and I think I only thought it was funny or something.

Ah. You are nevertheless still a boundless source of inspiration.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #627 on: March 11, 2017, 04:10:26 AM »

My Wife got a job offer yesterday starting at $13/Hr + OT options (Mandatory or Voluntary)....   

As a line worker on grave shift for a major retailer in a giant warehouse that supplies product for a 4 Million Pop State.

Although it's not a Union Job, it pays well above Oregon minimum wage, with a fast track to a $2-3/Hr Wage increase after six months.... 

It still has a Seniority based system, but most likely she will be able to move to a regular Day or Swing shift once some of the young folk that can't hack the Grave shift decide to drop out....

Does she have the option to unionize later on?

Sh*t I wish---- Not a Union plant, so not a question of transitioning into a Union Job.

It would require 50% +1 to sign union cards, unlikely to happen at this particular joint, since they have a pretty good reputation in terms of quality of Management/Safety/Employee Relations in a County with a 6% unemployment rate (Virtually unprecedentedly low over the past 20 years).

This is a City where, just earlier tonight when I was grabbing a six-pack and cigs, the guy in front of me at the mini-mart had a USW (United Steel Workers) T-shirt grabbing his own sixer after he got off-shift (Used to work at Wah-Chang and now at ATI in the smaller city of 50k where I'm at these days).

Pattern bargaining is long done dead and gone laid down to rest close by the cold casket of Ronald Reagan....

Still, despite the various closures and layoffs in Union manufacturing jobs in the immediate area over recent years, it's a pretty decent gig, compared to the wages of local retail jobs in the area.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #628 on: March 11, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »

My boss told me there is a good chance he might be closing his doors of his business and told all of us today to probably start looking for another job soon. He said the last two months he's been in the negative when it comes to profits.

Sorry to hear that.... Sad

At least he was straight-up when it came to the P&Ls and gave y'all a heads up.

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #629 on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

That feeling when your in the last third of a half-marathon and you feel like you wanna take a walk, but then Duel of the Fates roars into action on your playlist and you find a renewed sense of energy flowing through you.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #630 on: March 11, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »

Accidentally stabbed myself trying to poke a hole in a water bottle. Wound was small enough, so I wiped off the blood and put a band-aid on it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #631 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »

First motorbike drive this year Smiley Of course I had to first put it together, which was annoying, but I feel great Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #632 on: March 12, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »

First motorbike drive this year Smiley Of course I had to first put it together, which was annoying, but I feel great Smiley

was it an IKEA?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: March 12, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »

was it an IKEA?(I Kill, Eventually, All)

No, he's still alive.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #634 on: March 12, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »

was it an IKEA?

Lol. Had to put this together after repairing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #635 on: March 12, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »

was it an IKEA?

Lol. Had to put this together after repairing.

And, in a surprising turn of events, he sidesteps the question!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #636 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »

My boss told me there is a good chance he might be closing his doors of his business and told all of us today to probably start looking for another job soon. He said the last two months he's been in the negative when it comes to profits.
TBH the place sounds like a dump from what you've related to us. You'll be back to work with a Trump job soon. If you give him a second term we'll both even receive forty acres and a mule.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #637 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »

TBH the place sounds like a dump from what you've related to us. You'll be back to work with a Trump job soon. If you give him a second term we'll both even receive forty acres and a mule.

lol
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #638 on: March 13, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »

1. Paid for formal tickets today for myself and one other. Time to identify who that one other will be and ask her. Also gotta find someone to split a hotel room with. The latter of the tasks gives me the jitters for whatever reasons. Part of me is saying to just Uber to the site and then Uber back; I really don't want to do that.
2. The snow here has been glorious.
3. As I begin to pour over my thesis, I'm noticing errors that I'm sure at least one committee member will pick up on. I wish I had caught these before, but I was in a rush and had read through it once before submitting it. My bad, but whatever. I'm rereading it in order to write my presentation. I disdain powerpoints and hope I can get away with speaking and a chalkboard when necessary. My mom is apparently getting the day off work to come down, and I'm trying to get some of my brothers to show up so I don't look like a complete piece of garbage. It's two Fridays from now. I may also have to buy slacks or something (for both this and formal). I pledged myself to a nicotine and tobacco free-year, so I hope this crap doesn't make me crack.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #639 on: March 14, 2017, 04:23:19 AM »

Heh, being a mod is one giant temptation. Every time you see a stupid post, you just want to click a "delete" button, but alas...
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #640 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that all teenage boys suffer involuntary muscle spasms.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #641 on: March 14, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »

Heh, being a mod is one giant temptation. Every time you see a stupid post, you just want to click a "delete" button, but alas...
I was on AH.com the other day and somehow realized I'd been given moderator powers. I could delete posts and lock threads. I didn't touch a thing and when I refreshed the page a few minutes later it was gone before I could notify Fuhrer Ian.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #642 on: March 16, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

Which is precisely why I stepped down from moderating USGD.  Even tho I believe I always used the power responsibly, it took too much of my time.  Now I can even ignore most of the threads there instead of feeling like I ought to read them all.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #643 on: March 16, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »

The folks seem to prefer to pretend that I didn't say anything at all simply because it's easier.
Update: My mom seems to be working on it. My dad either doesn't know or doesn't care, and I'm hoping it's the former.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #644 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »

lol

If I am making more than $10 an hour I'd put up with it all, I swear sometimes it feels like my boss has Bipolar disorder or something one day he'll be the nicest person ever, the next he is FLIPPING out for no reason, not to mention the customers have to have EVERYTHING 100% perfect or they flip out, and the bikers (it's bike week here) and Spring Breakers make it ten times worse, especially when you get super and busy and get a reservation of 200 people (our restaurant can seat 400 people) so I am hosting, serving at the same time...so much fun.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »

I try to avoid commenting on these things but... damn, Peebs your family seems to have serious issues with communication.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #646 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58:22 AM »

Have a job interview tomorrow at a major regional warehousing facility that supplies materials throughout the Pacific Northwest.

According to previous and current employees that have worked at the facility, including family members, there's a 90% chance that I will be hired on the spot, and report for work within two weeks.

Additionally, they want to bring me on as a direct-hire, skipping the 90 day probationary period, that not only means an additional $2+/Hr but also immediate benefits coverage, which is somewhat unusual according to my inside connections in the Plant.

Currently being homeless, living in hotels and crashing periodically with local relatives, this is a HUGE deal, especially since my Wife was hired and will start work in two weeks at the same facility.

The local cost of housing has increased 50% within the past 3-4 years, and needless to say, wages have not risen anywhere approaching that level....

So, getting this job can shift the income vs rent industry formulas, in a potentially positive direction, to allow us to achieve housing in an increasingly aggressive and tight housing market, while at the same time homeless is actually increasing dramatically within the larger cities of Oregon, despite the economic recovery.

Also, just two nights ago in an inexpensive but brand name hotel where I was residing, had two separate car windows smashed in, and the thieves stole what little my neighbors had left, within the modern day equivalent of tent cities.

Needless to say, this is not an expense that we can afford at this time.

Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #647 on: March 17, 2017, 07:40:37 AM »

I try to avoid commenting on these things but... damn, Peebs your family seems to have serious issues with communication.
I don't have the scrote to bring it up nearly as often as I want to, so most times I just leave it. Considered spraying them with a water bottle every time they referred to me as "(birthname omitted)" or "he", but I'm conserving my energy for other matters.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #648 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »

My mom vaguely threatened to kick me out of the house if I were a Republican - I mean, thankfully I'm not but it still makes me sort of uncomfortable.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »

@Peebs: Sorry your parents are being terrible. Sad

My mom vaguely threatened to kick me out of the house if I were a Republican - I mean, thankfully I'm not but it still makes me sort of uncomfortable.

I'm pretty sure my parents have said similar things; I'm guessing it's a joke?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies