Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:22:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111374 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »

Have I ever said how much I hate the alt-right?

I believe it was your buddy Classic that proclaimed once upon a time that he was part of the "Milo wing".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #676 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »

Funny someone mentions a new car, I also ended up with a new car, after I just bought one 6 months or so ago.

Amazing what moving, bad luck, and miscommunication can do in just a little over a year.

Here's hoping this one stays around for a while, but since it's a virtually unused Corolla with less than 50K, I reckon it should.

And I find myself yet again, selling off a Hyundai that still has at least 40K left just because of circumstances.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #677 on: March 19, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »

rough day at work. was my first day teaching at the nonprofit i work at (was in training for a few weeks) and it started off horribly but i was able to rebound towards the end.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #678 on: March 19, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »

So just came back from smoking a cig outside in the cheap hotel where I am living temporarily in a small factory town in Oregon, and as I am about ready to walk into my motel room, some younger dude in his late '20s/early '30s drives by slowly and shouts at me from his beat up older pickup truck with a cab in the back.

He shouts at me: "You got anything on you?"

I moved a little closer since I didn't hear him the first time, and he repeats the question. I pretended like a didn't hear again and he quickly says "never mind" and drives away fairly quickly.

Reminds me of a story a former GF told me when we were dating in college and she was working for 6 months in the Pico Union neighborhood of LA, where she was standing outside the bus stop wearing shorts (Summer in LA) and some dude rolls by in a car and asks her "how much?"....

The City where I am currently residing used to be a proud Union town, and now that housing costs have doubled, both visible poverty and drug related issues have skyrocketed, and the cheap motel is now apparently considered by some local residents to be an open air drug market.

Sigh.... can't wait to get into a regular apartment or housing scene, and not have to worry about stepping on needles. propositioned for drug sales, my car window getting smashed in (Like what happened a few nights ago at another cheap hotel I was staying at to a few other local residents), tending to an assault victim the week before at another cheap hotel, while I called 911 and waited for them to respond.

To cap it off, here's a song from a classic SoCal late '70s/early '80's Punk Rock band (Fear- drunk punkers, not my main bag, but still appropriate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQM00K24qG8
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #679 on: March 20, 2017, 01:08:25 AM »

I'm not dead, though I doubt I'm ever going to be as active as I have been.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #680 on: March 20, 2017, 01:32:11 AM »

I just got a cheap radiation detector that comes with a GPS feature, the idea being that you walk around with it in your pocket, and then it will point out how much radiation it absorbed for every minute of your walk and plot in on a map. Tomorrow after work, I'm going to take a walk though downtown to see if I can find any secret nuclear labs/terrorist networks. Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #681 on: March 20, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »

Have I ever said how much I hate the alt-right?

I believe it was your buddy Classic that proclaimed once upon a time that he was part of the "Milo wing".

I want to say "Classic is to [something] as L. Brent Bozell was to bipolar", but I don't know what I could say that would be both sufficiently harsh and not too offensive. (I've been reading a lot about Bozell lately; he's a repellent, but tragic, figure.)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #682 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

Today is the first day of Spring (in the Northern Hemisphere)!  It's still chilly here and there's snow everywhere, but the Sun was shining nice and bright to make up for it.  There were birds everywhere serenading me on my walk.  I saw a titmouse perched up on lowlying branch near me, chirping away.  Tried to tiptoe back inside to get my camera but by the time I got back, it flew away.  It's kinda fitting I guess that that would happen since I couldn't just stand there and enjoy it on my own.  Tongue  Looking forward to longer, sunny days as everything starts to come back to life!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #683 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »

It's still chilly here and there's snow everywhere,
Lucky! It went from snow everywhere in the morning to absolutely sweltering by nightfall a week or two back. Right now, we've settled at sweltering for the next nine months.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #684 on: March 20, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

Today is the first day of Spring (in the Northern Hemisphere)!  It's still chilly here and there's snow everywhere, but the Sun was shining nice and bright to make up for it.  There were birds everywhere serenading me on my walk.  I saw a titmouse perched up on lowlying branch near me, chirping away.  Tried to tiptoe back inside to get my camera but by the time I got back, it flew away.  It's kinda fitting I guess that that would happen since I couldn't just stand there and enjoy it on my own.  Tongue  Looking forward to longer, sunny days as everything starts to come back to life!

It's currently 82 degrees and sunny here (more sign that winter doesn't actually extend into March in the Southeast).  More like the "first day of summer"!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #685 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »

The chair of the CJ department just told me that he thought I was a far-leftist. What have I done!?

Also, this history chair seems to have a love affair with Kurt Eichenwald. Very disturbing.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #686 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

The chair of the CJ department just told me that he thought I was a far-leftist. What have I done!?
Believe in facts? Grin
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #687 on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:51 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 02:33:07 AM by modern maverick »

I had a midterm in my Holocaust seminar today. Three essay questions, ninety minutes.

My "favorite" question (as in the one that I feel I did the best and most evenhanded job answering; obviously I didn't enjoy any of them) was about experiences specific to Jewish women during the Holocaust (especially involving sexual violence and pregnancy/abortion/childbirth, but not only; there's also stuff about how having their clothing taken and their heads shaved caused loss of identity for women coming from Orthodox Jewish society with its strict rules about gendered dress and grooming). The second question asked us to analyze different excuses and justifications used by the perpetrators (whether this meant justifications they made to themselves at the time or excuses they gave after the fact wasn't made clear, so I touched on both). The third question asked us to describe the Nazi worldview as it related to Jews and Judaism in our own words. I got pretty vituperative, but, with this professor, I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate that.

The one thing that I wanted to touch on that I forgot to--I knew that a question about the sources and nature of Nazi ideology would be asked, since we spent two weeks on it--was how obviously conspiratorial and nonsensical even relatively restrained proto-Nazi ideas were. Ask me about Julius Langbehn's #analysis of Shakespeare some time!

Hell of a way to spend Vera Lynn's hundredth birthday.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #688 on: March 21, 2017, 03:22:45 AM »

A police helicopter woke me up and has been flying around for the past 15 minutes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #689 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #690 on: March 23, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

Enjoy the stay!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »

Believe in facts? Grin
That is literally the exact opposite of Cathcon's ideology.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #692 on: March 23, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »

Believe in facts? Grin

Please, explain my worldview to me.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #693 on: March 23, 2017, 03:18:45 PM »

This is the second day in a row I've gone to a convenience store with my friend because two girls have a newfound obsession with him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #694 on: March 23, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »

Believe in facts? Grin

Careful apathy cultivate with denial of factual evidence based on some apathetic sincerity.

This is the second day in a row I've gone to a convenience store with my friend because two girls have a newfound obsession with him.
Don't worry, I still have imaginary friends too. Most of us on Atlas do.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »

Is that supposed to be an insult? A joke? I can't tell and it wasn't a good one of either.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »

Believe in facts? Grin

Careful apathy cultivate with denial of factual evidence based on some apathetic sincerity.

Example?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »

Is that supposed to be an insult? A joke? I can't tell, and it wasn't a good one of either.
The latter. I appreciate your concerns for my humor.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »

Thesis defense tomorrow.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »