Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:31:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111091 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: April 19, 2017, 05:06:49 PM »

Me to myself hearing quotes in Quantum Leap and taking them too seriously:
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #826 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »

I just found out that I have to pass a YUGE Subject Test to get in to the Grad School of my choice...fml...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #827 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »

I just found out that I have to pass a YUGE Subject Test to get in to the Grad School of my choice...fml...

Usually how it goes, unfortunately. Depending on the test as well, they might charge you a fortune.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #828 on: April 19, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »

Submitted what will hopefully be the last two undergraduate political science assignments of my career and emailed the man who will hopefully in a few weeks be my boss. I've only got two finals. Organized Crime looks easy, but the professor is hard; by contrast, Russian looks terrifying, but the professor grades easily. Regardless, by Tuesday evening of next week, I will have completed a bachelors degree, along with 9 total graduate credits.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #829 on: April 19, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »

Usually how it goes, unfortunately. Depending on the test as well, they might charge you a fortune.

I anticipated that with most of my places, and I admit I thought it a little too good to be true, and I admit, not starting off on Education [since my Undergrad didn't have it officially, and the track didn't cover the area I wanted it to] should've made this obvious.

But it wasn't really outright listed as a requirement either.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #830 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »

My 21st  is on Friday but the liquor store across the street is shut down for a week.

Bummer... is that a Florida Temperance Movement thing, or are you just living in a small county, with one liquor store under renovation?

Happy B-Day BTW!!! Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #831 on: April 21, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »

So almost start of my 4th week on the job at the factory/warehouse  slinging product down the line...

Bought my wife a wrist-split over our "weekend", since she woke up screaming with pain on Tuesday morning a few hours after she went to bed after her grave shift because of what appears to be something like Carpel Tunnel or similar...

Bought a new pair of sneakers that actually have tread marks on them, so I don't slip on the shop floor, and also can help working an extremely physical job everything from back pain to blisters on the feet on 12 hour shifts standing on concrete all day.

We actually have a mattress as opposed to sleeping on air mattresses on the floor, but hell it's better than a tent or sleeping in the car.

I certainly don't attribute any of these improvements to Donald Trump nor Barrack Obama either.

Unfortunately Modern American Politics for the past 35-40 years have become so dominated by the whole Horatio Alger schtick, that every time individuals and families experience personal adversity it is always considered the fault of the individuals/families and simply "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps" is somehow a miraculous cure-all...

I suspect that many of my Republican and Democratic youthful comrades alike subscribe to that simplistic and reductionist myth that is now over 100 years in the making.....
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #832 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »

Now a year at my job, and I am being promoted to assistant manager with a pay increase of 45% to $13.05 an hour.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #833 on: April 21, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »

Now a year at my job, and I am being promoted to assistant manager with a pay increase of 45% to $13.05 an hour.

Congrats!!!

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #834 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »

-I registered for graduate classes yesterday.
-One of my housemates and I (veteran occupants of fraternity housing) are both graduating and had been planning on finding a place with two of his friends. Their lease, however, is up soon so they have been forced to go their own way, which means, if anything, us remaining two will also end up splitting a place. As neither of us have our employment situations straightened out, I have no idea how long that will take. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to start saving for graduate school, so God-willing the job situation takes care of itself soon, and I don't mind moving in later. We can either keep crashing at the house we're currently in at radically reduced cost (compared to what one might ordinarily pay to rent), or I could even move home temporarily (or permanently--hopefully it doesn't come to that).
-My hopefully-future-employer emailed me back today. He said he's looking to hire around mid-May, which means I'll likely be pulling 35-hour weeks at the school like last summer until further notice. If, as outlined above, I stay in my current house or I move home, that will allow me to save more effectively, but if I'm not hired, all this is essentially for naught.
-The ideal situation in all of this is that A) both of us get the jobs we want/need; B) I manage to scrape by with a four-point again at the end of this semester; C) I am hired above the minimum starting rate; C) I manage to live not at home, but we only grab a place starting in, say, August.
-Strange personal life development.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #835 on: April 23, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »

Bar 3 signatures for my thesis and a piece of paper I receive on May 13th, my last day of undergrad began six minutes ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #836 on: April 24, 2017, 01:13:21 AM »

Bar 3 signatures for my thesis and a piece of paper I receive on May 13th, my last day of undergrad began six minutes ago.

Congrats! If you're anything like me in this regard as well, enjoy the short boost in self-esteem, because it probably won't last. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #837 on: April 24, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »

Congrats! If you're anything like me in this regard as well, enjoy the short boost in self-esteem, because it probably won't last. Smiley

Thank you, friend. Smiley My first "graduate" presentation was this past evening after my last undergraduate final; I am down to one signature, and I meanwhile need to get an "A" on my first graduate final tomorrow/later today, and this semester will be over.

In any case, I don't know if anyone on this Forum has ever officially recognized Rob McElhenney's commitment to acting. To be willing to gain as much weight as he did--with the implicit belief that he just could lose it is well beyond my level of dedication.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #838 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »

To the pleasure of absolutely no one, I have returned to atlas. Though I have changed a bit in the time I've been gone. Time will tell how much...
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #839 on: April 25, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

I'm mostly moved into my new house. Still some stuff to plug in and boxes to unpack, but still, I'm settled.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #840 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »

To the pleasure of absolutely no one, I have returned to atlas. Though I have changed a bit in the time I've been gone. Time will tell how much...

Still into mandatory abortions? Just curious. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #841 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »

My 21st  is on Friday but the liquor store across the street is shut down for a week.

Bummer... is that a Florida Temperance Movement thing, or are you just living in a small county, with one liquor store under renovation?

Happy B-Day BTW!!! Smiley
No, I live in Tallahassee but there's only one good liquor store near me that happens to be just feet away. They ironically got shut down for the week because they sold to minors.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #842 on: April 25, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

Welcome back, hopefully you've changed for the better Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #843 on: April 25, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »

Well, all I've to do is upload my thesis tonight, and the semester's over.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #844 on: April 25, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »

Still into mandatory abortions? Just curious. Tongue

Pretty sure I flat-out stated I wasn't before, but unless the fetus is some sort of demon king who will destroy all of humanity if birthed, I don't.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #845 on: April 25, 2017, 05:07:09 PM »

Welcome back, Scarlet.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #846 on: April 26, 2017, 06:43:56 AM »

My grandmother died today, but it has been long coming, she really has been suffering a lot and not really living lately. While I do feel sad, I also feel like she, and my father who was strongly suffering seeing his mother's condition, finally have peace.
I have to say that all of this increased my support for euthanasia- for what is life, really, if you just suffer all day long and know that there is no hope for recovery? It's not really life.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:14 AM »

My grandmother died today, but it has been long coming, she really has been suffering a lot and not really living lately. While I do feel sad, I also feel like she, and my father who was strongly suffering seeing his mother's condition, finally have peace.
I have to say that all of this increased my support for euthanasia- for what is life, really, if you just suffer all day long and know that there is no hope for recovery? It's not really life.

So sorry for your loss, my friend.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #848 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »

Brought the fourth season of Quantum Leap with me to school (so I can watch it at the apartment).

So sorry for your loss, my friend.
^
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #849 on: April 26, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

The library accepted my thesis. Undergrad (and nine credits of graduate school) is over. I can link anyone who would like to peruse it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies