Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:37:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111449 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: May 08, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »

Hate to use these two words in this way, but since I just sent a letter to the IRS because of all this healthcare BS holding up my refund...

Thanks Obama.

P.S. Still very pessimistic about getting the damn thing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #926 on: May 08, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Most people have, at least temporarily, moved out of my house (vacations, moving back home for the summer, new tenants having yet to show up, waiting for work to begin, etc.), so I am largely solitude. Combined with my poverty (payday is Friday, thankfully), this makes my evenings relatively boring. For example, I've been reduced to being a mere Hulu watcher right now as I feel slightly too braindead (or is it just lazy?) to read either of 2-4 books I'm working on right now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #927 on: May 08, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

I'm analyzing an episode of the Middle for English class. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Hahaha, I actually really like that show.  Guilty pleasure, I suppose.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #928 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »

I have deleted all of my social media apps. There's a giant, Twitter-shaped hole in my life, and I can't even tweet about it.

A secondary purge may be required. I recommend embargoing Atlas Forum from your life from between twenty-four and ninety-six hours, or one to four days. Using this time, I challenge you to develop one new friend and engage in minute conversations with at least one stranger every half hour of free time dedicated to it.

Note: This is only recommended on a slow expansive route. If you suffer any withdrawal symptoms, return to Atlas immediately. Overuse of this may result in mental scratches, social damage, serious injury, or death. In any case we are responsible for none of the above.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #929 on: May 08, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »

I have deleted all of my social media apps. There's a giant, Twitter-shaped hole in my life, and I can't even tweet about it.

A secondary purge may be required. I recommend embargoing Atlas Forum from your life from between twenty-four and ninety-six hours, or one to four days. Using this time, I challenge you to develop one new friend and engage in minute conversations with at least one stranger every half hour of free time dedicated to it.

Note: This is only recommended on a slow expansive route. If you suffer any withdrawal symptoms, return to Atlas immediately. Overuse of this may result in mental scratches, social damage, serious injury, or death. In any case we are responsible for none of the above.

Believe it or not, I'm actually better at social interaction than I was when I joined. True proof that correlation does not equal causation.

In other news, I just got back from a very bland and generic city council meeting. Learned a lot about pension issues on the municipal level, though.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #930 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »

Damn!--- this post should enjoy an honorary mention in both the Atlas Hilarity thread, and best post threads.

This made me laugh the most since that one Atlas "Hip-Hop" spoken word thing that one poster did about 6-7 months ago.... haven't been able to fine the thread yet.

Thinking one of us should create a "12 Step" Atlas recovery Forum sub-thread to help us...

1.) We admitted that we were powerless over Atlas and our lives have become unmanageable

2.) Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity from our Atlas Addictions.

3.) Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to "Non-Atlasian" Gods to restore us to sanity, as we understand them to be

4.) Made a fearless and moral inventory of our Atlas addictions and entire posting history.

5.) Admitted to the entire world, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs created by our Atlas addiction

6.) Are entirely ready to have an outside power remove these defects of character

7.) Humbly asked all fellow posters, friends and family and those impacted by our Atlas addiction to remove these defects of character

8.) Made a list of all Atlas posters we have harmed and are willing to make amends to them

9.) Made direct amends to all Atlas Posters, unless in so doing it would cause harm to them or others

10.) Continue to take a personal inventory of our behavior on Atlas, and when we were wrong promptly admit it

11.) Prayed to the high heavens for the voice within our head for the knowledge and wisdom to carry that out in Atlasianda

12.) Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to Atlas Addicts, and to practice their principles in their affairs
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #931 on: May 09, 2017, 07:30:27 AM »

3.) Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to "Non-Atlasian" Gods to restore us to sanity, as we understand them to be

In the context of Atlas, this should be:

3.) Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to Dave to restore us to sanity, as we understand Him to be.

After all Dave here acts not unlike the conception many people have of God. An all powerful being who lays out rules of conduct, yet despite many prayers for His action (Dave please ban...) He rarely acts, preferring His creation to generally enjoy free will.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #932 on: May 10, 2017, 04:20:43 AM »

Told my mother I'm gay. Can't say the reaction was amazing, but at least it was mildly accepting.
Also found out my sister is Lesbian- I'm kinda mad that they didn't tell me as if it's some terrible secret.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #933 on: May 11, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »

Told my mother I'm gay. Can't say the reaction was amazing, but at least it was mildly accepting.
Also found out my sister is Lesbian- I'm kinda mad that they didn't tell me as if it's some terrible secret.
Congratulations! I'm sure you would like a better reaction, but it could have been worse. Your courage and bravery to tell your mother that at the age of eighteen is impressive. I want you to know that I consider you one of our best posters. Your posts are always measured, and your words are always thought out. I appreciate someone like you, who always manages to be reasonable. Your one flaw I have noticed on here is that you post too little - I would love to see you post more.

When do you plan to tell your father?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #934 on: May 12, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »

Working on a project for school and am now suddenly self-conscious about my voice.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #935 on: May 12, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »

Signed up for a considerably cheaper and nicer apartment today. I want out of my current lease so bad.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #936 on: May 13, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »

Graduation ceremony this afternoon.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #937 on: May 13, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »

Skipping the graduation mass since I decided I didn't want to walk to church wearing the gown. I feel bad about this.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #938 on: May 13, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »

Today marks 100 days until the Great American Eclipse. Though I've been planning for years, it's interesting to see different media outlets start to notice. This time it was Accuweather.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #939 on: May 13, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »

Well, as soon as issues related to my graduation application fee(s) get settled, I will be proud holder of a Bachelor of Arts, Honors Program, Cum Laude (presumably with majors in Political Science and Criminal Justice Studies). I was not only the first undergrad to go (a product of how the system is set up--the College of Liberal Arts & Education goes first, and the Honors Program students in that college are the first group up), but also ended up holding the banner for my college, as the girl who was supposed to do it showed up late and (owing to point one) I was the first in line after that.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »

I finished law school. Yay.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »

congrats!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

Didn't see this earlier, but mazel tov! you are light years ahead of me!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »

Our third lawyer I know of! Mr. Reactionary, Torie, and now Dereich. Congratulations, Mr. Reich.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #944 on: May 13, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »

So you didn't use "Dong Bong Falun Gong?" Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #945 on: May 13, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »

Congratulations, Cathcon! Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #946 on: May 14, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

So I'm working on a job application that is demanding I complete an Employer Tax Credit application. Is this a Bad Thing? It doesn't make me more comfortable that the website through which this is being conducted appears to not know how to properly mark down my answers on the pdf to be submitted.

Thank, bud. Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #947 on: May 14, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

Awesome! You're what my Uncle would call "bonafide" now!

Also congratulations Cathcon of course!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #948 on: May 15, 2017, 12:32:45 AM »

Congratulations! I'm sure you would like a better reaction, but it could have been worse. Your courage and bravery to tell your mother that at the age of eighteen is impressive. I want you to know that I consider you one of our best posters. Your posts are always measured, and your words are always thought out. I appreciate someone like you, who always manages to be reasonable. Your one flaw I have noticed on here is that you post too little - I would love to see you post more.

When do you plan to tell your father?

Congrats!

Kingpoleon says it so much better than I could, since I haven't been spending much time on the threads you post on regularly, but coming out to one's parent(s) is tough s**t emotionally, especially if one doesn't know what the reaction(s) might be....

So glad your Mom is accepting, and now you know that you have a Sister who will be 100% supportive, so still many rivers to cross, but give it a year or so and whatever tides of resistance remain will gradually wash away (Hopefully not knowing your personal story and family).

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #949 on: May 15, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »

I was at a gathering Saturday night, and it was the general opinion of the room that Trump was only weeks away from being impeached.  One person even predicted that we'd see a President Orrin Hatch by the end of the year, since Pence and Ryan would themselves be brought down by Russia-gate.

Of course these were the same people who said at the beginning of 2016 not to worry about Trump, because he didn't stand a chance of becoming president.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies