Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:51:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111075 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: July 27, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »

How significant is the pay difference without being specific?

$4/Hr difference, not including potential shift differential and OT.

Jumps to $5.50/Hr difference after 90 days, and $6/Hr after 6 Months.

Pretty big gap, basically a lead position running a crew of temps, and responsible for quality, quantity, safety, training, etc....

I know someone whose been working there in a similar position for a bit over a year, and they have a pretty good reputation for being a decent employer based upon her experience, as well as others that I know in this downstate Oregon Mill Town.

Never would have imagined 5-10 years ago that I would move from working in office based environments to manufacturing, but as they say in the current economy people go through roughly six major career changes in their lifetime.

Thanks Sanchez---- we don't always see eye to eye, but I appreciate the support. Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1526 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »

So, just got offered another job today, after having previously accepted another job offer last week...

Now I need to choose which of the manufacturing jobs I want to go with...

One pays significantly better, is closer, but has longer and odd shifts and is harder factory work---- the other pays less, is a 20 minute commute, and is a bit more of an assembly job, with greater potential for internal promotion down the line.

Which job do I go with Huh

You might evaluate it based on future outcomes. For example, what would your likely position and salary look like in 2 years? 5 years? Is the lower paying job today likely to overtake the other one on the time scale of a couple of years? Is either job likely to leave you out of it in a few years due to company performance or your satisfaction level?

Thanks Muon!

That reminds me of one of my Dad's favorite sayings: "Planning is understanding and assessing the futurity of current decisions".

The difficult part for me is trying to assess either as long-term career decisions.

As an individual, who literally went from the Mailroom to a key Manager in a flagship corporate business services account in 20 years, until I was recently laid off as part of a major corporate cost-reduction initiative, it's a bit hard to wrap my brain around the concept of moving into a Management position in a Manufacturing setting (Further down the line).

There are some obvious differences when it comes to the technical and educational background required between these various industries.

Ultimately both jobs are risky in a Medium term sense, if one were to look at the overall decline of Manufacturing in America over the past few decades.

Both companies are dependent upon the demand from their immediate customers, in the case of the higher paying job there is a large share of Government contracts related to DoD activities, which in theory might be a safer bet considering Dod Procurement activities. In the case of the latter, it is for a contractor for one the largest Global Tech companies, and having spent several decades providing business services for that client, I know well how fickle these companies can be when it comes to shutting down entire production lines and shifting operations elsewhere, where they have essential corporate tax havens.

That being said, it does get me back into a Facility where I have extensive experience (15 years), and would have the ability to network down the line to get a job with another supplier (Or even as a direct hire).

So--- still working it through in my mind, and by virtue of just thinking it out and typing through the response, is a helpful exercise.

Much appreciated Sir!!!!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1527 on: July 27, 2017, 08:18:53 PM »

...I'm probably gonna lose my driver's license soon.

Thanks to one f&*( up and one bit of bad luck, I'm gonna have to go to the DMV to take the written test instead of being able to go online.

...Ugh, just ugh! It took me forever to pull it off [test stress], and now I'll have just a month.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1528 on: July 28, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »

Yo, so happy, three of my favorite country singers all released their new albums within a few days of each other. Time to music binge!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1529 on: July 29, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »

I'll go on a mountainbike tour now and collect a lot of blueberries and mushrooms.

I'll visit my mum tomorrow and she'll make a great blueberry cake and mushroom gulash with dumplings out of it. Can't wait for this stuff, because I'm not a great cook myself ...
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1530 on: July 29, 2017, 01:44:40 AM »

Everybody, GO SEE THE EMOJI MOVIE!!! It is your civic duty.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1531 on: July 29, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »

Chest work at gym finally paying off Cheesy
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1532 on: July 30, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »

I cannot hear out of my right ear again. I guess I got to go to CVS for my bi-yearly flooding.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1533 on: July 30, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »

Got a new piggy today!  Her name's Grace.

This is the happiest I've felt in a long time.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1534 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »

Omg she's adorable, Scott!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1535 on: July 31, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

I have pneumonia during the week I have to write my final paper, find storage for some friends possessions that I've been holding, and move out of my apartment. It's gonna be a hell of a week.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1536 on: August 02, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »

I unironically said "the individual is the smallest minority"
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1537 on: August 02, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

I have pneumonia during the week I have to write my final paper, find storage for some friends possessions that I've been holding, and move out of my apartment. It's gonna be a hell of a week.

That sounds like absolute hell. I'm probably mistaken, but I thought pneumonia was more of a winter time disease? I hope you're able to find the time and energy to write a good final paper.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1538 on: August 02, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »

Grace's truly lovely, Scott!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1539 on: August 02, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

Overall I haven't been that depressed in a long time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1540 on: August 02, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »

That sounds like absolute hell. I'm probably mistaken, but I thought pneumonia was more of a winter time disease? I hope you're able to find the time and energy to write a good final paper.
It's actually Bronchitis, the CVS MinuteClinic got it all wrong. But my papers coming along and the anti-biotics work so it's way better now.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1541 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »

It's actually Bronchitis, the CVS MinuteClinic got it all wrong. But my papers coming along and the anti-biotics work so it's way better now.

Get well soon, dude. Bronchitis is pretty nasty.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1542 on: August 02, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

Get well soon, dude. Bronchitis is pretty nasty.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1543 on: August 02, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 09:07:41 PM by Jacobin American »

My mom has to stay overnight at the hospital for further observation. She went there because for like two weeks she's been having constant heart flutters or whatever that's called. Considering my dad passed suddenly in December due to heart complications, I'm really worried.

According to the internet, it's most likely stress related, which she has a lot of lately. It's rarely anything serious, which is good. So, I'm less worried now, but it's still scary. Hopefully it's just stress.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #1544 on: August 02, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

^ Best wishes.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1545 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:53 PM »

Thank you, Cora
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: August 03, 2017, 03:55:10 AM »

I just heard my mom mumbling "Kushner, Kushner, Kush-Kushner" in her sleep.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1547 on: August 03, 2017, 04:46:21 AM »

My mom has to stay overnight at the hospital for further observation. She went there because for like two weeks she's been having constant heart flutters or whatever that's called. Considering my dad passed suddenly in December due to heart complications, I'm really worried.

According to the internet, it's most likely stress related, which she has a lot of lately. It's rarely anything serious, which is good. So, I'm less worried now, but it's still scary. Hopefully it's just stress.

Sure, it can be scary.  I hope things go well for her.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1548 on: August 03, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »

Prayers for your mom, Jacobin. I'm sure hoping she'll be out soon Smiley
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp