Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:47:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111516 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: January 23, 2017, 05:54:43 AM »

Ugh I just had a very long argument with two left wing people who are convinced that Trump is still better than Clinton because 'muh ww3'. I remember why I refuse to discuss American politics with british people Tongue

Other than that have had a relatively good start to 2017- have started going jogging 3-4 times a week, going to the cinema every week and making an effort to actually cook nice meals; all in an attempt to get myself out of the endless politics bubble.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:43 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 05:07:37 AM by Fmr President Blair »

Trying to decide whether to get Tickets to see the Killers or not... have always wanted to see them but they're only performing for one day and it's 67 quid...

Edit: I bought them
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »

Am going to a meeting with my Local MP at uni Rachael Maskell about the EU and Article 50 vote- apparently she's considering rebelling and resigning from the Shadow Cabinet over the issue, so I'm going to go and give me two cents- although she may remember me from when I heckled John Mcdonnell 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »

Am going to a meeting with my Local MP at uni Rachael Maskell about the EU and Article 50 vote- apparently she's considering rebelling and resigning from the Shadow Cabinet over the issue, so I'm going to go and give me two cents- although she may remember me from when I heckled John Mcdonnell 

What is the Labour leadership's position on the Article 50 vote? I can never tell.

The leadership is going to offer amendments to the bill, and then vote for Article 50 regardless. There's about 80 or so MP's who may vote against (either because they're from the big remain backing seats in London, or because they''re convinced it's awful)

On a side note the Labour Party Conference in 2016 passed a motion saying that Brexit should be stopped if certain concerns aren't met- so you could argue that official policy is to vote against.

TL;DR: It's complicated, and messy.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »

On a side note the Labour Party Conference in 2016 passed a motion saying that Brexit should be stopped if certain concerns aren't met- so you could argue that official policy is to vote against.

Wasn't part of Corbyn's big spiel going to be that he was going to listen to the membership?

A lot of labour's base oppose the EU, though, that's the problem.

Key difference between Labours base and membership- Corbyn appealed very strongly to the 600k members, rather than the 9.5 million Labour voters.

63% of Labour voters backed remain, but 7/10 Labour constituencies voted Leave. Combined with 90% of Labour members voting Remain- it's the perfect storm for choas.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

ugh got my marks back for my essay over christmas- got a low 2:1 on the essay that I spend a 3-4 weeks planning, and which is about New Labour, yet somehow got 10 marks higher in the philosophy essay that I spend 3 days doing. Complete madness, and confirms my theory that the best essays should be done quickly
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

that actually cheered me up- thanks kal
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »

Found out that my cat died this morning, which really hit me as I'm wasn't back home to see him. He'd been ill for the last couple of days but I thought it was just an infection.  We've had him for 15 years, and he was my first pet- completely ruined my weekend
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »

It's never getting easier when your pet passes away. My sympathies.

Thanks guys- more concerned about how my mum is holding up as she's home alone to deal with it, and was completely devoted to them. Just sad to lose two pets in such a short time
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »

ugh the History department have cut back the modules they're offering next term (cause ya know, at this point humanities students just fund the science building) so I've got a very slim pick of modules if they don't give me my first options
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:30:44 AM »

ugh the History department have cut back the modules they're offering next term (cause ya know, at this point humanities students just fund the science building) so I've got a very slim pick of modules if they don't give me my first options

Can we trade managers with you? The Science building at my former university is from the 30's and is leaking a lot and falling apart (there is fences around the outside walls to protect people from things falling).

Oh sure- if you're happy with the Chinese embassy paying for it Tongue There's some big scandal because the Chinese government are paying tons of money to basically earmark places for Chinese students in exchange for funding
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

Only got two hours sleep as I was working on an essay that was due today, and submitted it 50 minutes late as I didn't know there was a time limit for it. It doesn't count towards anything, I'm just annoyed that I've had to spend the last 24 hours in crisis mode to get it down,and know I feel ill Sad One of those days
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »

Relatively hilarious and exciting week; my internship in the House of Commons was good fun, mainly because it was just spend with other staff members bitching about the current state of the party, and gossiping about various figures in the party. Also gives me a good piece of experience when applying for jobs later on.

Also found out that one of my best mates from school broke up with his girlfriend because 'he's not exclusively straight' so I'll enjoy spending the next week trying to catch up on that
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »

My guinea pug seems fine now. Tomorrow I'll take him to a vet for a scheluded checkup.

That's good Smiley I know how stressful it can be when pets are ill
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »

Realised I haven't done one of these in a while.

Starting uni again this week for the final year; looking forward to the new modules, and to seeing everyone again after summer but I'm not really that excited to go; one of my roommates is a bit of a drip. and my other roommate doesn't move in until next week so I'm trapped with them for a week alone.

Have got my first dissertation meeting as well; I'm doing it on the Labour Party and Gay Rights in the 1980, and I've done most of my research over the summer- just don't have any idea how I'm going to do 10,000 words on the topic.

Started watching the Wire; which I'd really recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies