Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:29:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 111695 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »

Am I in there?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »

Just something kinda funny: I think I've been on this site too much. My mother asked me if I remembered someone and I thought to myself "nice guy, FF."  It was a natural reaction...
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »

Thank you guys for all the prayers and well wishes! I got an update on her situation and it is good. She still has to perform a stress test and have the doctors go over the results with her before she can leave, but after the tests performed they've found she has Premature Ventricular Contractions, which is a common and relatively harmless condition likely attributable to stress and anxiety. They're giving her meds for it. So, all should be good as long as the stress test turns out fine! Smiley
Good to hear! Hope everything goes well!
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »

Since 1993 I've appeared 31 times on an official ballot (including primaries and party offices). This morning I announce that I won't be on in 2018. I'm timing the announcement to occur before my big western road trip which starts on Friday. Petitions for 2018 start circulating just after Labor Day, everyone will know my plans well in advance.
I didn't know you are a politician! Where did you run?

And congrats on all those years of politics!
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »

I thought about it and I'm gonna try to take a long break from this forum and politics in general. I might come back when the Democrats aren't a giant disappointment and/or I stop feeling bouts of depression from this political environment. Right now none of this is good for my mental health.

Well, I hope to see you back soon.  All in all, you're one of the better posters here.

Honestly, I've thought of doing the same.  Ever since I started becoming much more active on this site, I can't stay off of it.  Honestly, I think getting into arguments where I end up somehow being responsible for racism in America or something crazy like that is changing my mood in general.  I have been so angry lately, usually after a crazy thread with arguments everywhere that are flat-out ridiculous or insulting.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »

I feel like everything in my life has become worse off ever since January 20.  Every political scandal or stupid thing Trump does gives me such pain, and that pain keeps turning into anger.  I stopped supporting Trump after he pretty much started doing absolutely nothing except be a figurehead.  In addition, Republican leaders in Congress are inept, and every criticism that the Democrat Party throws is so sickening that I lose my mind.  Everything is so painful to read and listen to, and I don't think my emotions have ever swung so wildly from reading politics and debating people.  Everyone I talk to who hates Trump makes me feel like I am some kind of evil person.

I am seriously considering doing what Timmy did and take a good, long break from this political mess from both sides.  I just can't take it anymore.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

I feel like everything in my life has become worse off ever since January 20.  Every political scandal or stupid thing Trump does gives me such pain, and that pain keeps turning into anger.  I stopped supporting Trump after he pretty much started doing absolutely nothing except be a figurehead.  In addition, Republican leaders in Congress are inept, and every criticism that the Democrat Party throws is so sickening that I lose my mind.  Everything is so painful to read and listen to, and I don't think my emotions have ever swung so wildly from reading politics and debating people.  Everyone I talk to who hates Trump makes me feel like I am some kind of evil person.

I am seriously considering doing what Timmy did and take a good, long break from this political mess from both sides.  I just can't take it anymore.

Just avoid the U.S. General Discussion board. That's where most of the sh**t is.
I try. I really do. But I feel like every time I get on, I end up getting sucked in.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

Have you considered trying to just find stances to take? I find that clearing my views ideologically can help my mind clear up.

For example, what do you think of healthcare? Do you like Cassidy-Collins? Bennett-Wyden? Etc., etc.
My position is probably center-right.  I have positions on most issues.

In regards to health care, I'd have to do more research on the plans, but from what I understand, Cassidy-Collins sounds all right. 

It's not really ideological problems I have.  I guess it's more Trump issues.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »

You seem like a genuine person who deserves to be happy. Do whatever you need to make it happen. But if you do decide to leave for a while, we'll be missing out on your posts!
Thank you Smiley
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »

I feel like everything in my life has become worse off ever since January 20.  Every political scandal or stupid thing Trump does gives me such pain, and that pain keeps turning into anger.  I stopped supporting Trump after he pretty much started doing absolutely nothing except be a figurehead.  In addition, Republican leaders in Congress are inept, and every criticism that the Democrat Party throws is so sickening that I lose my mind.  Everything is so painful to read and listen to, and I don't think my emotions have ever swung so wildly from reading politics and debating people.  Everyone I talk to who hates Trump makes me feel like I am some kind of evil person.

I am seriously considering doing what Timmy did and take a good, long break from this political mess from both sides.  I just can't take it anymore.

Just keep exposing yourself to it...eventually you'll become desensitized and it wont bother you as much. I dont block or report anyone on this site because the more I read posts that annoy me...the less they annoy me over time. Same reason I creep right wing and left wing forums. It's like relationships...you kind of want a couple of heart breaks at the beginning so you can think calmly with a clear head and not get too emotional from the start.

Also...nothing lasts forever in politics. My great grandfather grew up under a Muslim Caliphate, my grandfather grew up under a Monarchy, and my father grew up under Communism. Nothing lasts forever and Trump and his brand of GOP hacks will go down eventually but that requires people not to tune out and to keep paying attention even if it depresses you. Ignore the ''experts,'' the polls, the people with so much data jammed up in their brains they think they know how things are going to turn out.
This does make sense. Thanks Smiley
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »

The Saint, there's is a tangible benefit to not feeling strongly tied to any political identity or movement, and of taking a historical perspective. This, of course, can lead to callousness and coldness, but I prefer being tethered by my conscience and sense of humor rather than a political identity (though I still retain one, rather weakly).
I guess I'd still like a sense of belonging to a party, though I do see the benefits of being an independent.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »

The Saint, there's is a tangible benefit to not feeling strongly tied to any political identity or movement, and of taking a historical perspective. This, of course, can lead to callousness and coldness, but I prefer being tethered by my conscience and sense of humor rather than a political identity (though I still retain one, rather weakly).

^^ This

The Sant,

Except I don't think having a strong political ideology is that bad; it's party politics that's so nasty and depressing. Ever since distancing myself from the Democratic Party and label, I feel I can think more clearly. That tribalism morphs into emoting and is driven by the media cycle. So, definitely focus on being more independent in your beliefs, take a more historical perspective on politics like others have suggested, and try not to take it too seriously. You need to stay informed, but don't obsess over it. Don't put anyone on ignore, just learn to read their nonsense and laugh or roll your eyes then keep scrolling.

I'll second all these points, though unshackling myself from the D label helped me shift right while Jacobin (obviously) embraced his own shift left. Be true to your views and values and sweat what the "team" or "tribe" is doing less. It's also more intellectually fulfilling!!
Haha I've thought about it. It's still a possibility that I become independent, but time will tell.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »

I have it confirmed my book (first volume to be precise) is going to be published in two weeks, having been sent to formater. As I've probably mentioned before, it was originally set for July, but the publisher experienced some general delays.
Congrats! What's it about?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »

Very blessed to know that my area did not get hit as badly as  thought it would.  I hope every other Floridian made it out ok and that their property is also ok.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »

The girl at the Publix Liquor store seems to like me, so I literally smoked my last five cigarettes in a row as a means to have an excuse to walk down there faster Tongue

Haha Smiley

Best of luck to you!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies