Texas Senate 2018... Who will be the Dem nom ...O'Rourke or Castro?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:10:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Senate 2018... Who will be the Dem nom ...O'Rourke or Castro?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas Senate 2018... Who will be the Dem nom ...O'Rourke or Castro?  (Read 1699 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »

1) Will Joaquin Castro get in the race.... and who would win O'Rourke or Castro?

2) And do either have a chance of upsetting Cruz?

3) Also... why is Julian Castro not thinking about running? Is he looking at Governor or potentially the Presidential Primary?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »

My guess is that Joaquin Castro would win such a primary, and he would be the stronger GE candidate. Being Hispanic and from the more populous side of Texas are net positives in both the primary and the general, I'd imagine.

I hope O'Rourke doesn't run. I like him in the House and I think he'd be a bad statewide candidate.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »

Who cares nether has a change of making it Close
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »

My guess is that Joaquin Castro would win such a primary, and he would be the stronger GE candidate. Being Hispanic and from the more populous side of Texas are net positives in both the primary and the general, I'd imagine.

I hope O'Rourke doesn't run. I like him in the House and I think he'd be a bad statewide candidate.

O'Rourke has imposed term limits on himself so he's retiring from the House either way.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:15:08 PM »

O'Rourke has imposed term limits on himself so he's retiring from the House either way.

Oh, right. He might as well run in that case, but I'd rather if he lost the primary.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:23:21 AM »

Henry Cuellar, although he's devoid of statewide profile.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

Who cares nether has a change of making it Close

TED CRUZ running in a Trump midterm weakened by a Trumpist primary challenger... will probably still win but it'll buy much less than a generic R.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »

Julian Castro probably. But he will lose to Rafael. Texas is still not ready for a Democratic senator. Maybe next time; in 2024.
PAK Man

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »

I'd be happy with either one of them. Democrats need to start seriously challenging every seat, regardless of how difficult it looks on paper. Republicans always seem to find candidates for every office, yet Democrats always fail. I've never figured out why this is.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »

1) Will Joaquin Castro get in the race.... and who would win O'Rourke or Castro?

2) And do either have a chance of upsetting Cruz?

3) Also... why is Julian Castro not thinking about running? Is he looking at Governor or potentially the Presidential Primary?
1. Castro would win a primary.
2. If Trump's approvals are below, say, 40%, and his disapprovals are over 60%, Joaquin could beat Cruz if he ran as a moderate.
3. Julian Castro seems to have no legislative ambitions. IIRC he didn't like his time on the City Council.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »

Castro would win a primary, but I don't think he's likely to run. Texas is still quite red, even in a Trump midterm, and it would be an unnecessary risk to take. Having to get past O'Rourke in the primary adds another element of risk to it. So, I doubt it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:41:32 PM »

I seem to remember when the liberals thought Abortion Barbie would come close in Texas.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »

I seem to remember when the liberals thought Abortion Barbie would come close in Texas.

Even in a bad Trump Midterm I still don't think Castro or O'Rourke would even come close.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »

In a midterm with an unpopular incumbent and an unpopular republican president she would have come within single digits (but still would have lost).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »

Unless Trump completely craters and the Republican majority is tied to him, I don't think Castro would win but he'd still likely win the primary. That said, it'd be hilarious if Ted Cruz lost to a guy named Castro.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »

I'd really like to see Mark Cuban run. I think if the national mood is dark enough for Republicans, Cruz might have to put in some effort to get reelected, and Cuban could be the one guy who could make him look bad even in Texas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies