Christianity the most persecuted religion in the world - including in Europe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Christianity the most persecuted religion in the world - including in Europe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christianity the most persecuted religion in the world - including in Europe  (Read 3607 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:06:04 PM »

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201701121049530289-christians-persecution-eu-report/

And before you go "lol Russian propaganda", this is based on an European Parliament human rights report.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »

Christians all over the world are under attack.  There's a virtual genocide going on in the Middle East.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »

Hilarious Russia is reporting this as they are sponsoring some of it: https://news.vice.com/video/secret-protestant-churches-in-donetsk-ukraines-religious-war
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »

Give it a rest.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »

It's a real thing that's hardly getting enough attention (VICE and some emergent blogs are the only places I've seen it mentioned.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:57 PM »

It's a real thing that's hardly getting enough attention (VICE and some emergent blogs are the only places I've seen it mentioned.)

I know, and if you weren't creepily obsessed with hating Russia I'd actually be inclined to discuss it with you.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »

But not being allowed to deny services to, or discriminate against, gay people is NOT one of the reasons for persecution. Just to be clear.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »

I know about the persecution that is going on (especially in the Middle East and North Africa). What should be done to get the Greek and Assyrian genocide that started in 1914 recognized in California (my home state)?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

I know about the persecution that is going on (especially in the Middle East and North Africa). What should be done to get the Greek and Assyrian genocide that started in 1914 recognized in California (my home state)?

Contact your state representative, state senator, governor, US Senators, mayor, anyone you can.

Alternatively, start a PAC whose goal it is to get those genocides recognized and acknowledged, and donate a bunch of money to individual politicians.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »

And I would say that inside the US, there is no persecution of Christians (though there was attempted genocide of the Mormons back in the 1830s-40s, and if the Utah War had gone bad, there would have been a genocide there as well).

In China, the Middle East, parts of Africa, and regarding the non-Orthodox Christians in Russia, I completely agree that there's persecution and in the case of the Middle East, genocide.

Also recently in Venezuela there was the case of a Mormon man who went there to marry a native Venezuelan Mormon woman he met online, and he was put into prison for suspicion of links to the CIA and gun-running, which could be connected to the stereotype of Mormon connections to the CIA and FBI. The Mormon guy seems to be completely innocent of the charges, and solely put into prison because of his religion. I haven't seen an institutional persecution of Mormons in Venezuela though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »

Well, Russian government is fundamentally hostile to most branches of Christianity. Why should it be given a rest?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »

Well, Russian government is fundamentally hostile to most branches of Christianity. Why should it be given a rest?

Because it's not good for BRTD to be so obsessed with hating a country he has no connections to, or for the forum to have this one poster who's so uniquely obsessed with hating said country. If literally any other poster had been the one to bring this up I wouldn't have said that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »

Because it's not good for BRTD to be so obsessed with hating a country he has no connections to, or for the forum to have this one poster who's so uniquely obsessed with hating said country. If literally any other poster had been the one to bring this up I wouldn't have said that.

Ok. Consider that I am the one who brought it up. Do I have the requisite connection?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

Ok. Consider that I am the one who brought it up. Do I have the requisite connection?

Please don't be aggro. I didn't say that I thought one needed "a connection" to bring this up. My issue is with BRTD specifically.

Obviously the Putin regime's persecution of non-Orthodox Christians and of anybody else who doesn't fit in its deranged Pochvennichestvo-for-the-cheap-seats concept of Holy Orthodox Russia is absolutely disgusting and I would never claim otherwise. I apologize if I gave off the impression of seeking to minimize it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »

Please don't be aggro. I didn't say that I thought one needed "a connection" to bring this up. My issue is with BRTD specifically.

Obviously the Putin regime's persecution of non-Orthodox Christians and of anybody else who doesn't fit in its deranged Pochvennichestvo-for-the-cheap-seats concept of Holy Orthodox Russia is absolutely disgusting and I would never claim otherwise. I apologize if I gave off the impression of seeking to minimize it.

So, what is the problem with BRTD?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:02:09 AM »

...that he's frothingly, dyspeptically obsessed with reflexively hating all things Russian regardless of degree or existence of relationship with the current or any former regime?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:03 AM »

...that he's frothingly, dyspeptically obsessed with reflexively hating all things Russian regardless of degree or existence of relationship with the current or any former regime?

He is not. There is an obvious degree of sarcasm there.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 01:09:57 AM »

He is not. There is an obvious degree of sarcasm there.

Evidently it's not obvious, in view of BRTD's obsessive thought patterns in general and his habit of developing rationally based but frighteningly excessive animosities in particular, but I hope you're right.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »

This has been the case for nearly 2000 years.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »

Are you being serious? Because centuries of Christian dominance in Europe would tell you otherwise.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »

yep, and they were persecuting other Christians the entire time.  Yes, they also persecuted Jews, Muslims, the various pagans but since most Europeans where Christian....
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:47 AM »

Are you being serious? Because centuries of Christian dominance in Europe would tell you otherwise.

yep, and they were persecuting other Christians the entire time.  Yes, they also persecuted Jews, Muslims, the various pagans but since most Europeans where Christian....

Yes, and it's also incredibly Eurocentric to think like that. Europe is not Africa is not Asia and so forth. There's an entire wing of Christianity that more or less died out thanks to Muslim, Buddhist and Zoarastrian persecution in Asia for example. The world is diverse.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »

Yes, and it's also incredibly Eurocentric to think like that. Europe is not Africa is not Asia and so forth. There's an entire wing of Christianity that more or less died out thanks to Muslim, Buddhist and Zoarastrian persecution in Asia for example. The world is diverse.

Christians have actively participated in whiping out that "wing of Christianity", thank you very much. Actually, there is an even more venerable wing of Christianity that had beencompletely whiped out by the Catholics long before Smiley  The entire history of Christianity is thehistory of whiping oot other Christians: usually in a bloodthirsty fashion. In fact, one would think that killing Christians is, in fact, the main Christian doctrine.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »

Christians have actively participated in whiping out that "wing of Christianity", thank you very much. Actually, there is an even more venerable wing of Christianity that had beencompletely whiped out by the Catholics long before Smiley  The entire history of Christianity is thehistory of whiping oot other Christians: usually in a bloodthirsty fashion. In fact, one would think that killing Christians is, in fact, the main Christian doctrine.

*heretics
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »

Roman persecution, other European pagans, Islamic invasions, religious violence in the Reformation, the rise of Communism.  Had Hitler been successful he had plans to eventually eliminate Christianity as well.

And then, of course, there is the rest of the world.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies