RI to provide 2 years of free college at any state college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:47:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RI to provide 2 years of free college at any state college
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RI to provide 2 years of free college at any state college  (Read 714 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
« edited: January 15, 2017, 09:33:49 PM by Blue3 »

Some good news from the states... and this time it's actually good news out of my homestate of Rhode Island! (I posted it in my RI thread, but it deserves its own post too, some good news!)

Governor Gina Raimondo is proposing 2 years of free college for in-state students of good academic standing at any state college/university (which in RI means the 6 CCRI community college campuses, Rhode Island College, University of Rhode Island at its 3 campuses).

Finally a bold initiative with vision! That's been sorely missing from Raimondo so far. The cost of college was one of her big campaign issues too, so finally seeing some action, it's the biggest reason why I've been disappointed with her so far. Looking forward to seeing the details soon. I don't agree with her on everything, but I've gotten to meet her or see her at different things about a dozen times over the last seven years, and she's very intelligent, she just needs to focus on some bold initiatives and it's great to see her finally doing that and making RI one of the states leading the charge on an important issue in a good way, instead of lagging behind as usual.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170115/ri-students-to-get-free-tuition-for-2-years-at-state-colleges-under-raimondo-budget--poll
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »

I assume it's similar to Erasmus, right?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:32:47 PM »

I assume it's similar to Erasmus, right?
What do you mean?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:38:57 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 09:41:36 PM by Mike88 »

The Erasmus programme, in Europe, is a student exchange programme in which students from EU member states can study in other Universities in other countries of the EU for a period between 3 to 12 months. I assume it's similar of what Rhode Island is proposing, correct?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »

The Erasmus programme, in Europe, is a student exchange programme in which students from EU member states can study in other Universities in other countries of the EU for a period between 3 to 12 months. I assume it's similar of what Rhode Island is proposing, correct?
No, I don't think so. It's like I said, 2 years of free college at any state college (URI, RIC, CCRI) for in-state students of good academic standing. I doubt something like Erasmus, from the way you describe, could happen without Congress.

Governor Gina Raimondo is proposing 2 years of free college for in-state students of good academic standing at any state college/university (which in RI means the 6 CCRI community college campuses, Rhode Island College, University of Rhode Island at its 3 campuses).
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »

So you'd only have to pay for the last 2 years at a four year institution, then?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »

So you'd only have to pay for the last 2 years at a four year institution, then?
Correct.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

Freedom state.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

I'm okay with this, and it's the best thing Gina has proposed so far. I'm still not a big fan of her.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »

Good for them, states should be free to try different things.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »

Republicans will try and kill it though from the Federal level, they only support states doing their own thing when the Federal Gov is controlled by the opposite party.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if the Republican idea of income repayment rather than loan debt for colleges gets any legs. An innovative idea, I'm curious if any states will experiment with it
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if the Republican idea of income repayment rather than loan debt for colleges gets any legs. An innovative idea, I'm curious if any states will experiment with it
The US already has income-based repayment plans at the federal level. I've been on one since 2011.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »

The US already has income-based repayment plans at the federal level. I've been on one since 2011.

Thoughts?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »

Just about everyone with federal loans is eligible. I do wish it could expand to private loans. And I agree it should be better advertised or even the default. But it does exist.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »

Smart idea by Rhode Island. Their economic dividends should be considerable, assuming most of the college graduates stay in Rhode Island.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies