Trump’s healthcare plan will offer ‘insurance for everybody’: report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:50:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump’s healthcare plan will offer ‘insurance for everybody’: report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Trump's healthcare plan actually offer "insurance for everybody"?
Yes - For everybody

Yes - At least more than the ACA

No - No more than the ACA

No - Most covered by ACA will lose insurance

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Trump’s healthcare plan will offer ‘insurance for everybody’: report  (Read 3764 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:10 PM »

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/314437-trumps-healthcare-plan-will-offer-insurance-for-everybody-report

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

"I just read about it this week, it's a terrific plan - just great. It's called the Affordable Care Act."
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »

He literally has no idea does he?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:08 PM »

Mandatory enrollment in public option for those who don't have insurance otherwise?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »

He knows as much about health care and insurance policy as I know about auto repair.  
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

I'll believe it when it happens. Or at least when I see it.

And getting Ryan to agree is another matter.

It's more likely "let private insurance roam free! then they'll insure everyone!"
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »

Gotta come up with an excuse to print all that money somehow.

As long as Trump hands the newly-printed money over to banks, who then get to hand it over to private insurance companies, the Republicans will be fine with it.  Whether or not anybody who isn't rich to begin with actually gets decent medical care at the end of it all (not) won't really matter.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:21:01 PM »

“I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole.”
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:23 AM »

“I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole.”

Pretty sure that's what his ghost-writer called it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41:34 AM »

Pretty sure that's what his ghost-writer called it.

A ghostwriter who's horrified by what he's done.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

How are you a Republican?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

No, because it does not offer a public option, and public insurance is the only solution for pre-existing conditions etc.

Obamacare is awful and fixed nothing.

You're absolutely right but unfortunately your party wouldn't agree to this, and they hold both the Congress and the presidency right now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

Who's going to pass a public option? How will it cover everyone? What are the specifics?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »

No doubt the plan will offer insurance for everybody, but it'll be your own damn fault if you can't afford it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »

The Free Market™ provides nothing for everybody. Unless Trump is going to forsake his beloved capitalism, I doubt this will result in anything other than millions of people losing their health insurance.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »

Hopefully we see a sliding scale subsidy system based on market rates for all, including across age and gender groups, with greater transparency in medical billing. The desperately poor can be covered under Medicaid - we're Republicans, not monsters.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »

I feel like Trump could be tricked into advocating for a single payer system.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »

I feel like Trump could be tricked into advocating for a single payer system.

I mean he did praise Canada's Medicare system in the debated after all

Single payer with broad leeway for administration by the states would actually be a decent outcome
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

The new Trumpist GOP tolerates universal healthcare.

Remember, back in the day people like Richard Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller probably favored healthcare plans that went slightly further than ObamaCare.

You also have Republicans like John Kasich who expanded MediCare in Ohio during a budget surplus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »

Hopefully we see a sliding scale subsidy system based on market rates for all, including across age and gender groups, with greater transparency in medical billing. The desperately poor can be covered under Medicaid - we're Republicans, not monsters.

So you mean keep Obamacare?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »

Purchasing private healthcare from healthcare.gov provides you with a subsidy, if you're poor, to help pay your insurance premiums.  Each month, your insuance company mails you a summary of all of the medical services you used, how much the provider charged, how much is written off due to negotiations between the insurer and the provider, and how much you owe out of pocket for said services.

Those who are indigent get medicaid.  In Minnesota there is an additional public option above and beyond medicaid but for people who still find the exchanges unaffordable.  It's called MinnesotaCare and was put in place in the early 90s by a GOP gov and DFL leg.

You want Obamacare, Santander.  But then, you knew that. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2017, 04:15:53 PM by Santander »

Uh... Obamacare has price control provisions that attempt to force young people and men to subsidize women and the elderly (which have failed), among many other disastrous regulations like the supposedly popular but stupid 26-year old rule and pre-existing conditions rule. I would prefer to see no subsidy, but I'm trying to be politically realistic. We also need to stop endlessly blaming everything on the insurance and pharmaceutical industries and start getting tough with healthcare providers. Lack of transparency is what allows healthcare providers to hide behind insurance companies, and the more layers of government and bureaucracy we add, the further from a truly free and transparent market we get.

Consumers (i.e. the market) are a far more powerful and effective force in changing the behavior of businesses than government could ever hope to be. The government's role should be to reduce the information asymmetry that currently exists with the opaque nature of healthcare spending in the US and allow the market to do its work.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Any chance we'll get to hear any details at all? No? Well, then you'll have to forgive me for not having complete faith in Trump's words, then. Wink
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »

Uh... Obamacare has price control provisions that attempt to force young people and men to subsidize women and the elderly (which have failed), among many other disastrous regulations like the supposedly popular but stupid 26-year old rule and pre-existing conditions rule. I would prefer to see no subsidy, but I'm trying to be politically realistic. We also need to stop endlessly blaming everything on the insurance and pharmaceutical industries and start getting tough with healthcare providers. Lack of transparency is what allows healthcare providers to hide behind insurance companies, and the more layers of government and bureaucracy we add, the further from a truly free and transparent market we get.

Consumers (i.e. the market) are a far more powerful and effective force in changing the behavior of businesses than government could ever hope to be. The government's role should be to reduce the information asymmetry that currently exists with the opaque nature of healthcare spending in the US and allow the market to do its work.

-Solid post.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies