With which faction of your party do you most identify?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:31:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  With which faction of your party do you most identify?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: With which faction of your party do you most identify?
Neoliberal Democrat

Blue Dog Democrat

Labor-Populist Democrat

Minority Interests Democrat

Urban Liberal Democrat

Progressive Democrat

Other Democrat (explain)

Main Street Republican

Neoconservative Republican

Libertarian Republican

Moral Majority Republican

Urban Conservative Republican

America First Republican

Other Republican (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: With which faction of your party do you most identify?  (Read 3202 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »

ULD.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2017, 11:42:56 PM by Chickenhawk »

I'll be one of the few brave souls to say I'm a Neoliberal Democrat
Supporting the hegemonic ideology is brave? Huh

Well, I was just basing that on the fact that 37 posts into this thread, only one person claimed to be a neoliberal. It seemed like Atlas was overrun with similar-minded posters to myself before the election, but most of them disappeared, and so now populists and progressives hold a large majority of the left-wing avatars here, which this poll seems to confirm.

A similar phenomenon happened on the right, although rather than a drop off of posters, "America First" Republicans have joined by a sizable number.

There certainly does seem to be a rather large proportion of Labor-Populist and Progressive Democrats now compared to before the election. I'd guess on November 8th it was evenly split; now most of the Neoliberal and Urban Liberal Democrats have either changed their faction or left the forum. This raises the question of to what extent, if any, this may be an indication of larger changes in the American political landscape.

I think anyone who claims that Hillary's damn-near-stunning loss is anything but BAD news for DLC types going forward in the Democratic Party is in denial.

It may be bad, but it usually takes Dems 2-3 stunning losses and terms of utter irrelevancy to finally, finally kick the bums out.
It seems so many here are intolerant of anyone who isn't a progressive. It looks like here there's a major amount of hatred for conservatives, libertarians, centrists, and neoliberals. Most people I personally know are moderate Republicans and average neoliberal Democrats.

I mean... you mentioned in the Issa thread that you're from the OC/Sunbelt in general, right? It doesn't surprise me that most of the people you know are fiscal conservatives.

Frankly, most of the people I know who aren't intimately involved in politics on a daily basis don't have a systematic ideology. I suspect most people are like that. They have certain beliefs on certain issues, and sure you can plunk them into a "Con" "Lib" "Prog" "Libertarian" box, but it doesn't really fit them.

Now for me personally, that has two consequences. First, since most people don't have a systematic ideology, I don't feel any particular need to feel guilty about being on the """far lower left""" of the political compass. I can appeal to people on issues I agree with them on.

Second, it spurs me into a fair amount of hatred for the *political officials, operatives, and enthusiasts * who espouse neoliberal centrism. Because it's either A) what they believe, in which case they rule for their own benefit at the expense of society AND cause the Left to lose elections and credit with the American people or B) what they espouse out of political cowardice and misperception, since they believe that American politics is on a strict left-right spectrum, and thus that success lies in the middle.

So do I hate anyone who isn't a progressive? Heck no. Even within politics, I love people who tend to self describe as Libertarians on the role of the Presidency, I love the sentiment (the need to preserve community) behind social conservatism even if they have a 'bass ackwards' way of going about it. I even will spare a smile for neoliberal dems on the environment and social issues.

I also dislike progs on a number of things, from soda taxes to guns.

But that said, the "center" and right wings of my party have emiserated the country's poor while claiming to represent it, and furthermore have lead my party into perceived illegitimacy in the eyes of huge swathes of the country by chasing a mythical swing voter that they'll never catch. So I do hate them, and it is time for them to go.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:58 PM »

None of these really define me. I believe I would be similar to a James Lankford/Marco rubio type character, but I'm not sure what words would define that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 11:51:51 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2017, 02:08:19 AM by ERM64man »

I'll be one of the few brave souls to say I'm a Neoliberal Democrat
Supporting the hegemonic ideology is brave? Huh

Well, I was just basing that on the fact that 37 posts into this thread, only one person claimed to be a neoliberal. It seemed like Atlas was overrun with similar-minded posters to myself before the election, but most of them disappeared, and so now populists and progressives hold a large majority of the left-wing avatars here, which this poll seems to confirm.

A similar phenomenon happened on the right, although rather than a drop off of posters, "America First" Republicans have joined by a sizable number.

There certainly does seem to be a rather large proportion of Labor-Populist and Progressive Democrats now compared to before the election. I'd guess on November 8th it was evenly split; now most of the Neoliberal and Urban Liberal Democrats have either changed their faction or left the forum. This raises the question of to what extent, if any, this may be an indication of larger changes in the American political landscape.

I think anyone who claims that Hillary's damn-near-stunning loss is anything but BAD news for DLC types going forward in the Democratic Party is in denial.

It may be bad, but it usually takes Dems 2-3 stunning losses and terms of utter irrelevancy to finally, finally kick the bums out.
It seems so many here are intolerant of anyone who isn't a progressive. It looks like here there's a major amount of hatred for conservatives, libertarians, centrists, and neoliberals. Most people I personally know are moderate Republicans and average neoliberal Democrats.

I mean... you mentioned in the Issa thread that you're from the OC/Sunbelt in general, right? It doesn't surprise me that most of the people you know are fiscal conservatives.

Frankly, most of the people I know who aren't intimately involved in politics on a daily basis don't have a systematic ideology. I suspect most people are like that. They have certain beliefs on certain issues, and sure you can plunk them into a "Con" "Lib" "Prog" "Libertarian" box, but it doesn't really fit them.

Now for me personally, that has two consequences. First, since most people don't have a systematic ideology, I don't feel any particular need to feel guilty about being on the """far lower left""" of the political compass. I can appeal to people on issues I agree with them on.

Second, it spurs me into a fair amount of hatred for the *political officials, operatives, and enthusiasts * who espouse neoliberal centrism. Because it's either A) what they believe, in which case they rule for their own benefit at the expense of society AND causes the Left to lose elections and credit with the American people or B) what they espouse out of political cowardice and misperception, since they believe that American politics is on a strict left-right spectrum, and thus that success lies in the middle.

So do I hate anyone who isn't a progressive? Heck no. Even within politics, I love people who tend to self describe as Libertarians on the role of the Presidency, I love the sentiment (the need to preserve community) behind social conservatism even if they have a 'bass ackwards' way of going about it. I even will spare a smile for neoliberal dems on the environment and social issues.

I also dislike progs on a number of things, from soda taxes to guns.

But that said, the "center" and right wings of my party have emiserated the country's poor while claiming to represent it, and furthermore have lead my party into perceived illegitimacy by huge swathes of the country by chasing a mythical swing voter that they'll never catch. So I do hate them, and it is time for them to go.
It's great that you oppose soda taxes and too much gun control. I'm a never-Trump moderate conservative/libertarian who protest voted for Gary Johnson. I don't like Trump (especially because I'm part Hispanic). Where I live, neoliberal Democrats like the very popular moderate hero Congressman Lou Correa (D-CA-46, who easily defeated progressive Bao Nguyen, who was a very well-known candidate, not an obscure "no-name paper candidate") and Assemblyman Tom Daly are the most popular and dominant wing of the Democratic Party, especially because it's a pro-business community. These Democrats never face any primary challenges in the House or Assembly (it's widely understood here primary challenges would be unsuccessful because that philosophy is unpopular here, which was demonstrated with Bao Nguyen losing the general by 40 points). Most Democrats where I live (on the Orange County side of CA-47) voted for Hillary Clinton in the primary because it's very pro-business and pro-military. Los Angeles County's CDP Hacienda Heights (where many of my relatives grew up) is also very pro-military and pro-business and also rejected Bernie Sanders. Where I live, swing voters are not mythical and do exist; neoliberals do catch them (a major reason Bao Nguyen lost in a heavily Democratic district); a large amount of people where I live are in the middle. What background do you come from?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies