If you could change one regime...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:49:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you could change one regime...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If you could change one regime...  (Read 2423 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »

China changing into a liberal democracy would strengthen it, not break it up. For one, having similar values as the West would greatly strengthen Western-Chinese relations. It would greatly reduce the friction China has to manage between itself and its liberal democratic neighbors. China's civilian culture would be allowed to flourish, rather than being suppressed. The current government is the equivalent of the Bush-era neocons in the U.S.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »

There are tons of horrible regimes. But I would chose Saudi Arabia, and it isn’t even close. That regime is just horrible. They’re supporting radicals all over and export their extreme ideology of Islam, which is poisoning young people all over the world. It is also one of the least democratic states with significant influence in the world; where women and homosexuals have virtually no rights, where activists get tortured for expressing their opinion or criticizing islam. They jap off more heads than ISIS per year, often for small crimes or simply for things like adultery. That regime still lives in the seventh century like barbarians. Horrible. Just as disgusting as the fact the US and other western countries call them “allies”. They should be totally condemned. Even the USSR after Stalin was more democratic and humane than Saudi Arabia today.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »

Saudi Arabia & it is not even close. As much as I want change in China, there is some democracy within the Communist party, they are following market dynamics nowadays & are a somewhat responsible state.

But Saudi is spreading the poison of radicalism & Wahhabism around the world - Their ideology is behind the rise of ISIS & most terror groups. It is an incredibly authoritarian, corrupt regime where people have no rights - They cut off heads of people for dissent, being a gay, being non-religious (apostasy is banned_)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »

Saudi Arabia & it is not even close. As much as I want change in China, there is some democracy within the Communist party, they are following market dynamics nowadays & are a somewhat responsible state.

But Saudi is spreading the poison of radicalism & Wahhabism around the world - Their ideology is behind the rise of ISIS & most terror groups. It is an incredibly authoritarian, corrupt regime where people have no rights - They cut off heads of people for dissent, being a gay, being non-religious (apostasy is banned_)
Yet if you asked Westerners whether they'd rather take an expat job with Aramco or with a Chinese company, most of them would choose Aramco, and not just because of the pay. Also, there are places like Jeddah which are relatively open and tolerant compared to the rest of the country. Yes, Saudi Arabia is ruled by an awful regime and I respect those who would put it at the top of their list of regimes to replace, but every mitigating factor you listed about China also exists in Saudi Arabia in different ways. What makes China worse, in my opinion, is that the state is deified, which is far more dangerous than religious extremism because the state is far more tangible than a deity. (of course, this would make North Korea even worse, but they are a lower priority because of their dependence on China)
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »

Yet if you asked Westerners whether they'd rather take an expat job with Aramco or with a Chinese company, most of them would choose Aramco, and not just because of the pay. Also, there are places like Jeddah which are relatively open and tolerant compared to the rest of the country. Yes, Saudi Arabia is ruled by an awful regime and I respect those who would put it at the top of their list of regimes to replace, but every mitigating factor you listed about China also exists in Saudi Arabia in different ways. What makes China worse, in my opinion, is that the state is deified, which is far more dangerous than religious extremism because the state is far more tangible than a deity. (of course, this would make North Korea even worse, but they are a lower priority because of their dependence on China)

The whole China thing is over-rated IMO. China doesn't kill gays, cut heads off randomly for being a Shia, treat women lives slaves, kill women for being raped, disallow women driving, etc. China doesn't fund terrorists the way Saudi does. Saudi is openly fighting multiple wars to defend Sunni Islam. Some friends of mine went to China & it is a surprisingly decent place. If people want to take a job @ Aramco when the world is blowing up they are crazy IMO. Besides China today is very much a capitalist country in business wise . There is also huge meritocracy in China, Xi had to struggle for years to get into the Presidency & they don't have a monarchy & dynasty like North Korea.

I despise the fact that they don't have democracy (it is a 1 party rule) where everyone has to support the Chinese communist party. That is a deal breaker for me - I hope every country has democracy. But Saudi is infinitesimally worse than Chine IMO (& not even a debate for me).

IMO religious extremism is the scum of the earth - Religion in itself is a pretty vile thing & I study multiple religious texts of many different religions to mock this facade known as religion.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »

The whole China thing is over-rated IMO. China doesn't kill gays, cut heads off randomly for being a Shia, treat women lives slaves, kill women for being raped, disallow women driving, etc. China doesn't fund terrorists the way Saudi does. Saudi is openly fighting multiple wars to defend Sunni Islam. Some friends of mine went to China & it is a surprisingly decent place. If people want to take a job @ Aramco when the world is blowing up they are crazy IMO. Besides China today is very much a capitalist country in business wise . There is also huge meritocracy in China, Xi had to struggle for years to get into the Presidency & they don't have a monarchy & dynasty like North Korea.

I despise the fact that they don't have democracy (it is a 1 party rule) where everyone has to support the Chinese communist party. That is a deal breaker for me - I hope every country has democracy. But Saudi is infinitesimally worse than Chine IMO (& not even a debate for me).

IMO religious extremism is the scum of the earth - Religion in itself is a pretty vile thing & I study multiple religious texts of many different religions to mock this facade known as religion.

Yes, Saudi Arabia is horrible and all the victims of their crimes are a tragedy. But though I support changing the Russian regime before the Chinese one, when you think about the large-scale influence of changing the superpower regimes into democracies that actually want to work for humanity, it trumps any advantage from changing Saudi Arabia. Human lives are precious and every loss is tragic, but far more lives wil be lost if for example global warming isn't countered.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »

I would remove Donald Trump and insert Bernie Sanders. I am Canadian.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies