Do anti-abortion atheists exist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do anti-abortion atheists exist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do anti-abortion atheists exist?  (Read 1451 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »

I would imagine they do, given the large number of atheists who are interested in philosophy.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »

I was going to say Nat Hentoff which I see somebody else already did. I strongly disagreed with him on the abortion issue but could respect his conviction and understand what motivated it and I was a fan of his in other areas and just of his writing in general.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »

I would imagine they do, given the large number of atheists who are interested in philosophy.

Interested in philosophy = pro-life? Huh I don't follow.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »

Of course they do. The arguments surrounding the existence of a fetal heartbeat, ability to feel pain, ability to live outside the womb (albeit with medical assistance) at around 24 weeks, or simply that the fetus is human from the start of the pregnancy can be well-argued without quoting scripture. Atheists are more likely to be pro-choice because they tend to be politically liberal and so adopt the pro-choice view to "fit in" with their group even if they don't exactly like it (obligatory reminder that the most recent democratic presidential nominee basically called pro-lifers terrorists), and simply because abortion is easier to support when you don't have to answer to a higher power for your support of it.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

I know I'm about to catch some flak for this, but here goes:

Why should abortion be any more of a religiously divisive issues than murder? The contention here is not one of killing being bad, but what exactly constitutes killing. Ergo, let's figure out when life starts, and people of all religious beliefs, and those who lack religious beliefs, will agree it's wrong to abort after that.

I'm not sure why you'd get flak for this, at least on this forum.  The current abortion divide is a good example of people taking most of their positions from their "camp" without thinking about it, similar to previous Evangelical adherence to small government.

But comparing today to the early 1990s in the USA, the number of people supporting gay marriage and legalization of the cannabis increased, while the number of people supporting to keep abortion legal decreased. These issues are not walking together. There are many people who are liberal in some of these issues and conservative in other of these issues.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 09:13:26 PM »

I know I'm about to catch some flak for this, but here goes:

Why should abortion be any more of a religiously divisive issues than murder? The contention here is not one of killing being bad, but what exactly constitutes killing. Ergo, let's figure out when life starts, and people of all religious beliefs, and those who lack religious beliefs, will agree it's wrong to abort after that.

I'm not sure why you'd get flak for this, at least on this forum.  The current abortion divide is a good example of people taking most of their positions from their "camp" without thinking about it, similar to previous Evangelical adherence to small government.

But comparing today to the early 1990s in the USA, the number of people supporting gay marriage and legalization of the cannabis increased, while the number of people supporting to keep abortion legal decreased. These issues are not walking together. There are many people who are liberal in some of these issues and conservative in other of these issues.

Sure, it's a tendency, not a hard and fast rule. Social change is still going to do its thing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »

Do you think more atheists want abortion to be illegal not because its violent but because its dishonest?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »

Do you think more atheists want abortion to be illegal not because its violent but because its dishonest?

What does this mean?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »

I would think so, I can think of secular arguments against abortion.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »

I have two friends who are both atheists and anti-abortion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »

What does this mean?
Not thinking that abortion is murder, but simply allows you to avoid the consequences of "marriage" and engage in a type of adultery (sex outside of consequences of marriage) in a fraudulent way.
 Like the time in school I got my car booted for parking in the wrong spot because there was no other parking and drove off with it. The school gave me a ticket for "Fraud". It wasn't reported to the Government, but it was a $190 bursar's hold. That's probably why Abortion is usually a mid-level felony and not the highest offense though many abortion bans were started because it was determined to be dangerous the way coke, meth, or even weed is.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »

I'm close to that, in that I oppose abortion and am agnostic (an atheist being an agnostic who rounds down).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »

(an atheist being an agnostic who rounds down)

I disagree. I'd argue that there's a fundamental epistemological difference between the two.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 01:27:34 AM »

Of course. There's plenty of reasons to oppose abortion without bringing religion into the mix.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:24 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2017, 07:44:24 AM by Special Boy »

Of course. There's plenty of reasons to oppose abortion without bringing religion into the mix.
And you don't even have to think its murder to want it to be illegal. My guess is a good deal of those who want abortion to be illegal, especially those who think it should still somehow be legal where there was never any consent to start the pregnancy or the pregnancy turns out to be dangerous.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »

I am an atheist, and favor putting limits on late term abortions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »

Yeah. But you don't think the current majority of abortions should be followed by someone facing incarceration or worse.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »

Yeah. But you don't think the current majority of abortions should be followed by someone facing incarceration or worse.

The anti-abortion position doesn't specify what the punishment for illegally getting an abortion should be, only that abortion should (at least in all but a few cases) be illegal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »

The anti-abortion position doesn't specify what the punishment for illegally getting an abortion should be, only that abortion should (at least in all but a few cases) be illegal.
But that the maximum sentence would at least be a day or more of jail time makes it a crime rather than a ticket. Do you think there are those who want abortion to be the same as a speeding ticket? It would technically be illegal.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »

But that the maximum sentence would at least be a day or more of jail time makes it a crime rather than a ticket. Do you think there are those who want abortion to be the same as a speeding ticket? It would technically be illegal.

I have personally known people who want abortion to be technically illegal but not enforced!

Like I said, the anti-abortion does not prescribe a particular level of punishment.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »

What does this mean?
Not thinking that abortion is murder, but simply allows you to avoid the consequences of "marriage" and engage in a type of adultery (sex outside of consequences of marriage) in a fraudulent way.
 Like the time in school I got my car booted for parking in the wrong spot because there was no other parking and drove off with it. The school gave me a ticket for "Fraud". It wasn't reported to the Government, but it was a $190 bursar's hold. That's probably why Abortion is usually a mid-level felony and not the highest offense though many abortion bans were started because it was determined to be dangerous the way coke, meth, or even weed is.

That's a really twisted attitude. I'm sure it did enter into lawmakers' thinking back in the day and it definitely enters into some people's thinking still today, but if anything I would expect pro-life atheists, to their credit, would be less likely to think of it that way and more likely to think of it as a nonviolence issue than pro-life religious people.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 07:40:32 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 07:06:45 AM by Torie »

There are very few late term abortions, so no. If a late term abortion happened that was not within sensible exceptions (such as a material physical health risk to the mother, as verified in some independent way), I would think the punishment would involve just the performer of the abortion, and if an MD, involve suspending or revoking such MD's medical license.

So yes, your statement is correct. And I don't favor any restrictions on earlier term abortions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »

What does this mean?

That's a really twisted attitude. I'm sure it did enter into lawmakers' thinking back in the day and it definitely enters into some people's thinking still today, but if anything I would expect pro-life atheists, to their credit, would be less likely to think of it that way and more likely to think of it as a nonviolence issue than pro-life religious people.
I hear a lot of conservatives talking about "personal responsibility" issues in reference to abortion.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

What does this mean?

I hear a lot of conservatives talking about "personal responsibility" issues in reference to abortion.

So do I, and it's a pretty perverse way to look at it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies