GOP Finds Trump Voters Don't Support Corporate Tax Cuts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:37:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Finds Trump Voters Don't Support Corporate Tax Cuts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Finds Trump Voters Don't Support Corporate Tax Cuts  (Read 498 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »

As with free trade, it seems they are going to have to change with the times....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-taxes-poll-republicans-233656
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Economic anxiety" except when it's not them affected?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:53:20 AM »

Corporate tax cuts are a great idea. I'm all in favor of supply-side tax reform.

Regressive (or at least flat) taxes have been a staple of GOP policy since at least the 1890s. The Dems using the "trickle-down" meme dates from the same time.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:42:55 AM »

I've never seen somebody admit to supporting regressive taxation as such before.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »

I've never seen somebody admit to supporting regressive taxation as such before.

-I support eliminating the capital gains tax, which would be a regressive move. However, I also support applying the Social Security tax to all wage income, which would be a highly progressive move.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 03:09:56 AM »

-I support eliminating the capital gains tax, which would be a regressive move. However, I also support applying the Social Security tax to all wage income, which would be a highly progressive move.

I wasn't necessarily referring to your own views. I was speaking more out of surprise that you'd openly characterize the tax policies generally favored by your party as "regressive" (again, as such).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »

The way they'll trick everyone is just say "the Democrats/liberals oppose this move" and they'll support it just because of that.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:11:03 AM »

Even if they see this,why should they care? They have the bare minimum of power to pass their agenda and have an unpopular figurehead who could drag them down in the next few elections. All that stands between those men and vast reward from multinational corporations are the current laws. Trump flip flops very easily, so they could work something out, so that he'd be on board too.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »

I feel like I've seen this reported continuously over 20+ years. Republican voters are never big supporters of tax cuts tilted to the rich, but it's not the kind of thing they find disqualifying.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »

I feel like I've seen this reported continuously over 20+ years. Republican voters are never big supporters of tax cuts tilted to the rich, but it's not the kind of thing they find disqualifying.

It's all how you phrase it, of course.  According to the link below...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/190775/americans-say-upper-income-pay-little-taxes.aspx

... 45% of Republicans think "upper-income Americans" (which, conveniently, is not defined) pay too little in income taxes, but only 22% of Republicans think we should "redistribute" income by raising taxes on the rich.  Compare those numbers to 75% and 80% for Democrats, and the GOP electorate is still VERY persuadable to support tax cuts for the "rich."  If you phrased the poll something like, "Do you support PRESIDENT OBAMA'S policy of increasing taxes on families who make over $250,000 (or whatever)?" I'm guessing like 10% of Republicans would say yes, LOL.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »

It's all how you phrase it, of course.  According to the link below...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/190775/americans-say-upper-income-pay-little-taxes.aspx

... 45% of Republicans think "upper-income Americans" (which, conveniently, is not defined) pay too little in income taxes, but only 22% of Republicans think we should "redistribute" income by raising taxes on the rich.  Compare those numbers to 75% and 80% for Democrats, and the GOP electorate is still VERY persuadable to support tax cuts for the "rich."  If you phrased the poll something like, "Do you support PRESIDENT OBAMA'S policy of increasing taxes on families who make over $250,000 (or whatever)?" I'm guessing like 10% of Republicans would say yes, LOL.

They also don't define what "redistribute income" means. Does it mean take that money and just give it straight to the poor or does it mean increase taxes to fair levels and then use it on roads/schools/infrastructure, etc.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »

I wasn't necessarily referring to your own views. I was speaking more out of surprise that you'd openly characterize the tax policies generally favored by your party as "regressive" (again, as such).

I think by regressive he meant taxing poor people a higher percentage than rich people, which is not standard GOP policy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies