The TRUMP inauguration thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:20:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The TRUMP inauguration thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The TRUMP inauguration thread  (Read 21630 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »

Very small crowds. How does it compare with the Bush inaugurations?

Not very favorably.  Bush drew a big crowd in 2001.  All the photos show a packed mall.

The last time the democrats seriously boycotted a Republican presidential inauguration was in April 1861, when about a third of the democrats of the 35th congress refused to show up.  Matter of fact, seven of the state legislatures had actually passed bills of secession from the federal government by inauguration day that year.  Ultimately that president made America great again, but about 600 thousand young American men would die either from bullets, or from injuries and starvation, as a result.  So this boycott may seem bad, but it has been much worse in the past.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »

"if I were going to be sworn in as POTUS, and I knew about it, I would get a hair cut"

--posted by JJ today on Facebook.  Just thought I'd share.  Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »

The Donald has just become the President of the United States of America.

Make America Great Again!

it sort of looked to me as if he was going to kiss John Roberts--like Russian men do--but he instead opted for a handshake.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »

"If I forget Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill..."

That sounds to me like a foreign policy request.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »

Tv coverage here in Portugal is shocked by the speech. One guy said it was the least elegant speech ever.
Also, a commentator just said this speech resembles Nazi Germany!!! God!! Seriously, here everyone is speechless.

Godwin's Law strikes at last.  you won.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

'Triumph des Willens' was better directed tbh.

That's rather like saying "When Harry met Sally" was better directed than a tissue ad.  Of course Triumph des Willens was better directed.  It was probably one of the best-directed propaganda pieces ever made.  Kellyanne Conway is pretty good at what she does, but she is no Leni Riefenstahl.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »

it was a peaceful transfer of power.  That probably comes as a disappointment to some, but I think it's swell.

Obama and his wife seemed a bit stoic, maybe depressed, as they bade Trump and his wife farewell.  I suppose Obama's legacy will be stripped bare within the next couple of months.  That's probably a frustrating thought for him.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

wow, that's exactly like saying we should invade Poland, kill everyone there, and take their land!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies