The president-elect's infrastructure plan: handouts to his billionaire buddies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:23:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The president-elect's infrastructure plan: handouts to his billionaire buddies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The president-elect's infrastructure plan: handouts to his billionaire buddies  (Read 1104 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/economists-pan-infrastructure-plan-championed-by-trump-nominees/2017/01/17/0ed1ad5e-dc5e-11e6-918c-99ede3c8cafa_story.html?utm_term=.016836aff2a9

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/01/16/meet-men-who-will-oversee-trumps-infrastructure-plan.html

President Pussygrabber's "plan" is to pay his billionaire buddies to loot. He wants to pay them for the right to charging the public for using public roads.  Truly deplorable.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

Wow.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »

Did anyone have any doubts this was the case?
His plan all along was to loot the treasury the same way Bush and his cronies did when they handed out public money to his contractor buddies to "Rebuild" Iraq.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

Makes me wonder why anyone other than the rich EVER votes Republican. Theirs is the same old story. Rob from the poor and give to the rich. Yawn.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

Makes me wonder why anyone other than the rich EVER votes Republican. Theirs is the same old story. Rob from the poor and give to the rich. Yawn.
The rich are the ones who pay the taxes to begin with.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »

... Boohoo the poor rich people, many of whom "earned" their money ripping off others, what a shame they have to pay so much back to society. I'm so glad I'm not rich and having to carry that burden.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »

Yes, and pay less overall than the middle class and the poor.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »

I mean, that's just not true.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »

Silver lining: A bipartisan infrastructure bill would most likely consist of a lot of wasteful and unsustainable spending on projects that make life worse for most Americans, with funds allocated almost solely in the basis of political influence. This is without a doubt one of the issues where gridlock is preferable to federal action.

Aka all on roads and nothing on public transit. In the Milwaukee burbs public transit is considered a liberal commy plot/boondoggle. People would rather sit in cars and scream than have a train.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »

Then it seems like your deluting yourself. Do Republicans seriously not do research about their own party? They care about their rich donors, no one else.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »

Silver lining: A bipartisan infrastructure bill would most likely consist of a lot of wasteful and unsustainable spending on projects that make life worse for most Americans, with funds allocated almost solely in the basis of political influence. This is without a doubt one of the issues where gridlock is preferable to federal action.

Aka all on roads and nothing on public transit. In the Milwaukee burbs public transit is considered a liberal commy plot/boondoggle. People would rather sit in cars and scream than have a train.

Largely, yes, but even within highway spending, federal money tends to be poorly managed: Building new roads (that states and localities will never have enough money to maintain) instead of repairing old ones, for instance, or supporting divided highways (euphemistically called "interstates" even though most new construction is to support increased commuter traffic) instead of "Complete Streets"-style multi-modal projects.

The same applies to water and sewer. You're more likely to see federal funds going toward projects that support new development instead of replacing lead water pipes or updating hazardous combined sewer systems in central cities and older villages.

Wisconsin repealed it's "complete streets" because biking is a commie plot as well when in reality all major streets should have protected bike lanes.

Milwaukee could also use that money for lead pipe removal in the city, and yet again the burbs are "let new Detroit (when the city is booming and growing again) die and who cares".
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6Yz7wXnaM
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

Largely, yes, but even within highway spending, federal money tends to be poorly managed: Building new roads (that states and localities will never have enough money to maintain) instead of repairing old ones, for instance, or supporting divided highways (euphemistically called "interstates" even though most new construction is to support increased commuter traffic) instead of "Complete Streets"-style multi-modal projects.

The same applies to water and sewer. You're more likely to see federal funds going toward projects that support new development instead of replacing lead water pipes or updating hazardous combined sewer systems in central cities and older villages.

Even with these shortcomings, we need to get going on reinvesting in our infrastructure sooner or later.  We can't keep coasting on past accomplishments forever.  Though perhaps any infrastructure bill would be better off with Democrats back controlling the trifecta (House, Senate, White House).    
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »

Then it seems like your deluting yourself. Do Republicans seriously not do research about their own party? They care about their rich donors, no one else.

What "research" haven't I done?  Poor Americans do not pay more in taxes than (what we have decided are) rich Americans, that's literally a false statement.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »

Everyone pays taxes to some degree, whether it's payroll or income taxes. Non-payroll taxes are reported from every income subset. Net income taxes probably come from every bracket, too.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »

The infrastructure is falling apart.  We need a real stimulus bill that focuses on fixing the bridges ASAP.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »

"hand out $137 billion worth of tax credits to private businesses"

What Donald is doing is saying that this money is better in the hands of business to create jobs and stimulate the economy rather than throw it into the government kitty.

There is a balance, and this government clearly thinks that business has been over-regulated and taxed to death. This ultimately hurts employment.

Try starting a company and employing one person. Just try it and see how long you last. It's not until you have to pay someone's wages that you truly understand how limiting over-regulation and high tax rates kill you as a business person.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »

"hand out $137 billion worth of tax credits to private businesses"

What Donald is doing is saying that this money is better in the hands of business to create jobs and stimulate the economy rather than throw it into the government kitty.

There is a balance, and this government clearly thinks that business has been over-regulated and taxed to death. This ultimately hurts employment.

Try starting a company and employing one person. Just try it and see how long you last. It's not until you have to pay someone's wages that you truly understand how limiting over-regulation and high tax rates kill you as a business person.

They know, they just don't care.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »

The rich are the ones who grab the wealth and keep it.The biggest sources of wealth come from owning huge tracts of farmland (the feudal way), gouging the customer, keeping workers overworked and underpaid, and getting huge breaks from the government.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »

And the demonization of the rich continues. Never change, lefties, never change.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »

What "research" haven't I done?  Poor Americans do not pay more in taxes than (what we have decided are) rich Americans, that's literally a false statement.

I think he means the poor pay more in taxes as a proportion of their total capital than the rich.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »

Can we get back to the fact it's not just handouts but the fact it's handouts for projects already underway?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

And the demonization of the rich continues. Never change, lefties, never change.

I take it you worship the rich?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »

Yes, because the only alternative to demonizing the rich is deifying them, right?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »

Yes, because the only alternative to demonizing the rich is deifying them, right?

No one's demonizing them.  We're only pointing out facts.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies