Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:05:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence  (Read 2974 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »

There's a need for some solid whistleblowing from time to time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »

Even if you don't like the fact that she's trans, Chelsea is legally her first name now, so calling her Bradley is incorrect. Why be incorrect on purpose?

kyc0705

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »

He obviously did it to encourage more whistleblowers under Trump and call Assange's bluff.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

LOL imagine if we had an Argentine mod who edited all mentions of the "Falkland Islands" to the "Islas Malvinas"
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

If someone insisted on referring to Istanbul as Constantinople, I'd hardly be justified in correcting their post as a moderator.
That is the city's rightful name, and 564 years of Turkish occupation cannot change that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

Chelsea Manning is crazy anyway. I wonder if he will pardon Leonard Peltier and Mumia Abu-Jamal?

Both are murderers. That makes a huge difference.

President Obama might have the authority to pardon Peltier, who is a federal offender (murder of federal law enforcement officials) but not Mumia, whose offense was killing a city cop in Pennsylvania . The President has no authority to pardon someone incarcerated under state law.  
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »

If someone insisted on referring to Istanbul as Constantinople, I'd hardly be justified in correcting their post as a moderator.
That is the city's rightful name, and 564 years of Turkish occupation cannot change that.

I will not accept anything short of Byzantium.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night
Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »

OK seriously, you guys rag on Assange for the Wikileaks for the Democratic Convention but Obama's doing a great thing all of a sudden?

I'm not sure that I like this pardon for the same reason that I don't like Assange leaking the information about the Clinton emails. Manning, Snowden, and Assange all leaked classified information to influence the United States' policy. How do you with a straight face say "OK, Assange did a bad thing but not Manning?"

Both the Left and the Right have exhibited behavior in this thread that are directly related to the person committing the action. Some of the Righties in this thread have probably said Assange was doing the right thing in leaking #PodestaEmails and are now blithely denouncing Manning's pardon. Ditto the Left screaming about Assange over the summer and now praising the pardon.

Either find a standard that isn't partisan or own up that you like or hate x and y because of the party label of the President or political actor doing the act.
Snowden and Assange basically fled. Manning, I'm willing to show her more leniency because she's served about seven years and didn't flee like a coward.

My problem is that virtually no lib in this thread is going "OK, she did the wrong thing." And nobody is saying "OK, if Julian Assange served 7 years in prison, I want President x to pardon him." It's definitely skewed based on the perception of the political allegiance of that actor.
If it makes you feel better, I'm about as liberal as you can get, And I think they should all be put up against a wall and shot for treason.

I think your incoming President agrees with you.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »

Even if you don't like the fact that she's trans, Chelsea is legally her first name now, so calling her Bradley is incorrect. Why be incorrect on purpose?

Yeah, this reminds me of militant atheists who refuse to capitalize "God" when talking about the Biblical God, whom they could at least acknowledge as a character in the Bible who has a proper noun for a name, which should therefore be capitalized ... it's like, get over it, we all know your opinion on the subject.

Extreme Republican is just being --EXTREME--
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »

Chelsea Manning should be commuted, good job Obama!

On the question of Oscar Rivera, what exactly did he do, sell arms, did he kill people (if he did, he shouldn't be commuted), were the transportation of firearms, of which he was involved, used to kill people?

Snowden, should also face prison sentence, for some time, as he fled to Russia (rather than NSA spying scandal), as he fled not to France, Sweden, Norway but Russia (very tolerant of free spech and expression!).

Assange, should face criminal sentence for rape, and attempting to flee from his rape charges.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2017, 11:51:08 PM »

Yeah, this reminds me of militant atheists who refuse to capitalize "God" when talking about the Biblical God, whom they could at least acknowledge as a character in the Bible who has a proper noun for a name..

"God" is not His name Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies