Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:22:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal  (Read 43984 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »

For an  historical perspective, the Timmins-James Bay area was divided into two ridings for much of the last century between the Timmins dominated Cochrane South riding and Cochrane North, which would have essentially the same borders as the proposed Mushkegowuk riding (except the town of Cochrane, which was in Cochrane North but would remain in Timiskaming-Cochrane in this proposal). 

Perhaps unfairly, the First Nations communities in the proposed Kiiwetinong riding have historically been split up arbitrarily between the Kenora and Thunder Bay (later Lake Nipigon) ridings.

And there are very different electoral histories in Kenora and Lake Nipigon ridings; Kenora was a PC/Liberal riding (never electing a NDP MPP, at least since 1967) while Lake Nipigon was an NDP strong hold going back at least 1967.
Krago
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

The Commission should have been empowered to review provincial riding boundaries across Northern Ontario, not just the far north.  The lines haven't been touched since Mike Harris adopted the federal boundaries in 1996. 

When Bill 115 was debated two years ago, Committee members were urged to create a boundaries commission to review the Northern ridings.  Despite an eloquent presentation from one individual - accompanied by brilliant maps - the members declined to do so.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »

Yeah, the map is based on the 1991 census (then again, isn't that the same for Toronto's wards?)

Geez, I was still in kindergarten back then, and most of y'all weren't even born yet!
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »

Yeah, the map is based on the 1991 census (then again, isn't that the same for Toronto's wards?)

Geez, I was still in kindergarten back then, and most of y'all weren't even born yet!

At least TO is finally updating our wards, to 47 and moving the lines around... well hopefully. GAWD if councillors Mammoliti and DiCiano manages to kill this, it will not be pretty!

I was 10 in 1991... so way to make me feel old there!
Krago
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »

Gilles Bisson wants the Commission to return all the communities along Highway 11 to the Timmins riding, and make Mushkegowuk an aboriginal-majority seat.

http://www.timminspress.com/2017/07/13/bisson-urges-boundaries-commission-to-go-back-to-the-drawing-board
toaster
Canada

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:02 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2017, 07:50:10 AM by toaster »

Gilles Bisson wants the Commission to return all the communities along Highway 11 to the Timmins riding, and make Mushkegowuk an aboriginal-majority seat.

http://www.timminspress.com/2017/07/13/bisson-urges-boundaries-commission-to-go-back-to-the-drawing-board

Hearst and Kap are much more pro-NDP .  The only times this hasn't been the case is when the local candidate was from that municipality (Kap went PC when Kap Mayor Al Spacek was the candidate, Hearst went Liberal when Sylvie Fontain from Hearst ran for the Liberals).  Barring those 2 anomalies, those areas have always been good to Bisson.  Having them in Timmins also helps his chances.
adma
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:33 AM »

The only times this hasn't been the case is when the local candidate was from that municipality (Kap went PC when Kap Mayor Al Spacek was the candidate, Hearst went Liberal when Sylvie Fontain from Hearst ran for the Liberals).  Barring those 2 anomalies, those areas have always been good to Bisson.  Having them in Timmins also helps his chances.

However, Hearst has been historically (i.e. "naturally") stronger for the Liberals than Kap has been for the Tories.  Again, the Franco-Ontarian thing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2017, 07:52:19 AM »

If you remove the Highway 11 corridor, the riding's population becomes what, 10K? Ridiculous. Surely a riding that underpopulated would be considered unconstitutional?

Krago
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »

When the Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Ontario released their final report, only one seat (Kenora) was beyond the 25% range.  If this recommendation becomes law, then ten out of the 124 ridings (using 2011 Census figures) will be below the 25% threshold, and one will be above (Brantford-Brant).

Using 2016 Census figures (excluding incompletely enumerated Indian reserves), Northern Ontario would be entitled to 7 3/4 ridings out of 124.  This plan would give it 13.  It would be an interesting court challenge.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2017, 03:54:38 PM by toaster »

When the Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Ontario released their final report, only one seat (Kenora) was beyond the 25% range.  If this recommendation becomes law, then ten out of the 124 ridings (using 2011 Census figures) will be below the 25% threshold, and one will be above (Brantford-Brant).

Using 2016 Census figures (excluding incompletely enumerated Indian reserves), Northern Ontario would be entitled to 7 3/4 ridings out of 124.  This plan would give it 13.  It would be an interesting court challenge.

It's not Northern Ontario's "fault" so to speak, that the southern part of the province continues to grow at exponential rates.  Why would they lose representation?  It would only cause further division, and serve to foster more separation talks.  
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »

When the Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Ontario released their final report, only one seat (Kenora) was beyond the 25% range.  If this recommendation becomes law, then ten out of the 124 ridings (using 2011 Census figures) will be below the 25% threshold, and one will be above (Brantford-Brant).

Using 2016 Census figures (excluding incompletely enumerated Indian reserves), Northern Ontario would be entitled to 7 3/4 ridings out of 124.  This plan would give it 13.  It would be an interesting court challenge.

It's not Northern Ontario's "fault" so to speak, that the southern part of the province continues to grow at exponential rates.  Why would they lose representation?  It would only cause further division, and serve to foster more separation talks.  

Indeed, the proper way to deal with this is to either

A) Increase seats in Southern Ontario accordingly or
B) Create a devolved Northern Ontario parliament Cheesy

(I actually started working on a map for option B)

Oh, and I don't believe anyone takes Northern Ontario separation very seriously. Just because they get a separate curling team doesn't mean there is any appetite in the creation of another economically deprived have not province.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »

When the Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Ontario released their final report, only one seat (Kenora) was beyond the 25% range.  If this recommendation becomes law, then ten out of the 124 ridings (using 2011 Census figures) will be below the 25% threshold, and one will be above (Brantford-Brant).

Using 2016 Census figures (excluding incompletely enumerated Indian reserves), Northern Ontario would be entitled to 7 3/4 ridings out of 124.  This plan would give it 13.  It would be an interesting court challenge.

It's not Northern Ontario's "fault" so to speak, that the southern part of the province continues to grow at exponential rates.  Why would they lose representation?  It would only cause further division, and serve to foster more separation talks. 

Oh, and I don't believe anyone takes Northern Ontario separation very seriously. Just because they get a separate curling team doesn't mean there is any appetite in the creation of another economically deprived have not province.

Yeah, don't ruin it for the rest of us Tongue
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2017, 06:46:36 AM »

Have you now! what's that map look like? That would be a precedent in Canada no? I don't believe any other province has anything like that.

I can see what Bisson is getting at, two new ridings that favour Indigenous communities, But the commissions did create two ridings based on communities of interest, one Indigenous the other Frano-Ontarian, that's something.
SO how could we re-draw Mushkegowuk and Kiiwetinong to even out the populations so one (Mushkegowuk minus the south of HWY 11) isn't so small pop. wise. But in a manner that still makes sense... go!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »

Have you now! what's that map look like? That would be a precedent in Canada no? I don't believe any other province has anything like that.

I can see what Bisson is getting at, two new ridings that favour Indigenous communities, But the commissions did create two ridings based on communities of interest, one Indigenous the other Frano-Ontarian, that's something.
SO how could we re-draw Mushkegowuk and Kiiwetinong to even out the populations so one (Mushkegowuk minus the south of HWY 11) isn't so small pop. wise. But in a manner that still makes sense... go!

Rather impossible, unless you take a bunch of FN communities in NW Ontario and put them in the NE.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:12 AM »

Rather impossible, unless you take a bunch of FN communities in NW Ontario and put them in the NE.

And that's where this re-draw makes no sense as these communities have no connections to each other correct?
I think Bisson might have to just let that one go, I see his point but unless we can even out the two ridings in a manner that works for an MPP to be able to represent the riding, the commission will go with it's proposal.
Krago
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »

I have updated my proposed Alberta electoral map (long after anyone cares) to include an alternative suggestion for Grande Prairie.

https://goo.gl/DcCPF0
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »

I have updated my proposed Alberta electoral map (long after anyone cares) to include an alternative suggestion for Grande Prairie.

I like it given your goal of equal(-ish) representation. But I can say from just having visited the Grande Prairie area and talking to some in the political community there, combining the current Dunvegan-Central Peace-Notley riding with almost any of the rural areas of the current Grande Prairie ridings would be difficult to manage due to differing interests between the areas.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »

The Final Report will be released tomorrow for Ontario's new ridings.

Pursuant to ss. 4(9) and 4(10) of the Representation Act, 2015, the FNEBC will conduct a second round of public information meetings after the release of this Preliminary Report before releasing a final report (“Final Report”) containing its recommendations on or before August 1, 2017.
Krago
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »

The Ontario Attorney General's office has just released the Final Report of the Far North Electoral Boundaries Commission.  Apart from Marten Falls, nothing has changed from the interim report.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

Manitoba will reviewing the boundaries next year.

Using 2008 as a reference:
April 2018: Commission Set to Review Boundaries
June 2018: New Elections Divisions Proposed
September 2018: Public Meetings
December 2018: New Boundaries Released

The new boundaries will be set for the next election scheduled for October 6, 2020.

Krago
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

And now, an alternative suggestion for Rocky View.
Krago
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

‘A missed opportunity for our people’: Indigenous leaders urge province to revisit electoral map
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »

Will this give Queen's Park the chance to not go ahead with the new borders?

If Gilles Bisson runs in Timmins, then there's a good chance the NDP nominates someone indigenous as their candidate in Mushkegowuk. It might back fire though, as the Franco Ontarien population might want one of their own, and vote for another party.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »

Will this give Queen's Park the chance to not go ahead with the new borders?

If Gilles Bisson runs in Timmins, then there's a good chance the NDP nominates someone indigenous as their candidate in Mushkegowuk. It might back fire though, as the Franco Ontarien population might want one of their own, and vote for another party.

Makes sense for Bisson to run in Timmins, that will be the more competitive riding, and NDP wants all of these northern ridings. Who says there isn't an Indigenous candidate who is also Franco-Ontarian in the wings? With this riding, it has to be a possibility. It should be possible for all 3 or 4 parties (Greens included) to be able to field and entirely indigenous slate in Kiiwetinoong
toaster
Canada

« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

The City of Timmins has always been the "weak spot" for the NDP in the Timmins-James Bay riding (they still win provincially, but not by as much).  Federally, Timmins proper would have went Liberal last time around.  So for Bisson, it could be a challenge, particularly since there are mumblings that former Timmins Mayor Jamie Lim may be running for the PCs (I don't believe the Liberals will be a factor in Northern Ontario come June).  If Bisson wants an "easy win", it would be to run in the new Mushkegowuk (sp?) riding.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies