FE3: Second Fremont Constitution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:09:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FE3: Second Fremont Constitution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FE3: Second Fremont Constitution (Passed)  (Read 1368 times)
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »

Thank you Truman for your effort. You have well outlined what the constitution should be about.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is true. There are many motivated users out there who would enjoy being a part of a parliamentary process. Considering the fact that the salient problem of our region is inactivity and the lack of enthusiasm, this could, indeed, be a chance for us. But there are two aspects in the constitution I strongly oppose.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is one of the worst restrictions one could come up with in a region that wants to activate new players. The only time this game is interesting for both registered players without an elected office and outsiders who consider joining the game is campaign time. Take me for example, I was motivated to join the game during an election season, and I was almost immediately allowed to cast my ballot. That motivated me. Someone who has been active in this game for a long time might not be able to see it, but I can confirm that two weeks are way too long. You can't tell me that someone who gets enthusiastic about this game during an election season stays enthusiastic about the game for two whole months without even having the opportunity to get involved otherwise in our region. This is nonsense.

The other aspect we have to talk about is the size of the House of Commons. You have stated correctly that there are many users out there who want to get involved in a sort-of-parliamentary process on this forum, and you used this fact to support a stronger chamber. This is a good idea, but the truth is that if you want to have the people who want to have a mock-parliament on our forum to register in our region, you have to give them the opportunity to get involved in our parliamentary process, and, frankly, a House that is made up by two, respectively four legislators is too small. Being a legislator in a regional assembly is the lowest of all elected offices in the game. If someone who is interested and talented does not get elected in our House because the user is, for example, too unknown or does not have the right connections to other users, the candidate will have no other chance to prove himself because, as I stated earlier, there is no other opportunity to get involved in a parliamentary process on this forum. Even the most talented and the most motivated user this game could have ever seen would give up in this case.
Thus, the size of the house needs to be flexible, and the House has to give opportunities to as many people as possible.

If we really want to make this game more attractive for outsiders, we have to make the entry to this game easier than it is today, not harder.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

Thank you, Governor, for your open-minded stance towards my remarks and for both amendments you have proposed. I have to admit that I was not aware of the dimension of the affect of strategic registration on the election results. I can understand your concerns which were the intention of this treshold, and the 72-hours compromise you proposed to the Assembly seems to be fair.

I would also support the amendment concerning the size of the House. However, this leads to an open question we should discuss. We have to make clear what happens if the vote on a piece of legislation closes in a tie, which would be possible if there is an odd number of Commons + the Prime Minister. The first idea that came into my mind is giving the Prime Minister the power to break ties with his vote, but, as I said, this was just a spontaneous idea.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »

Nay, not because I don't support what you proposed, but because it should, in my opinion, not be a part of a constitution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies