SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Author Topic: SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!  (Read 27738 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »

I want to see the nuclear option extended to the sc after Schumer flings his feces over a nomination that will not change the balance of the court
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »

I want to see the nuclear option extended to the sc after Schumer flings his feces over a nomination that will not change the balance of the court

I don't know why McConnell is even pretending he's going to keep the filibuster. Like c'mon man, we know you by now. Just get it over with.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »

I don't know why McConnell is even pretending he's going to keep the filibuster. Like c'mon man, we know you by now. Just get it over with.
Idk he's probably giving Schumer enough rope to hang himself with Pryor or Gorsuch(who seem to be the leading candidates) so that he seems justified in extending the nuclear option
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »

Idk he's probably giving Schumer enough rope to hang himself with Pryor or Gorsuch(who seem to be the leading candidates) so that he seems justified in extending the nuclear option

I honestly expect the filibuster to die the very first time the Democrats try to use it. After getting away with the Scalia b.s., I don't think McConnell needs to justify anything he does.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »

I'm getting worried about Sykes pulling a Kennedy and supporting Roe if she is confirmed.  I hope he goes with Pryor, but it seems like Gorsuch is publicly pro-life as well.  I'm not quite sure about Hardiman.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »

Just remember that what goes around comes around...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »

If you think Chuck fighting a homoaphobe like Pryor and then like a complete hypocrite Mitch kills the FB the first time it's used will blow up on Schumer then please go ahead
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »

If you think Chuck fighting a homoaphobe like Pryor and then like a complete hypocrite Mitch kills the FB the first time it's used will blow up on Schumer then please go ahead
Accusing anyone you don't like of being homophobic, misogynistic, or racist lost it's effectiveness years ago
politics_king
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2017, 05:30:05 AM »

If Trump really wants to please everyone, nominate Brian Sandoval who is pretty much a true centrist. How would anyone combat it? Obama leaked his name for nomination, he's GOP and I'm sure he has a world-view that he can understand everyone's issues. If Trump goes to the extreme, it's another campaign point against him. I don't think Trump would do that, he's really going to try to please everyone for the mere fact he really doesn't have the end-all be all stamp mark to make his policies true. It's why I think eventually his son-in-law Kushner will have his ear out of all the factions, because he operates in a more centrist fashion. Bannon is going to get dumped eventually, because he's too extreme and the American public doesn't want to hear his non-sense rhetoric, we just want to be successful.
Klartext89

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »

If Trump really wants to please everyone, nominate Brian Sandoval who is pretty much a true centrist. How would anyone combat it? Obama leaked his name for nomination, he's GOP and I'm sure he has a world-view that he can understand everyone's issues. If Trump goes to the extreme, it's another campaign point against him. I don't think Trump would do that, he's really going to try to please everyone for the mere fact he really doesn't have the end-all be all stamp mark to make his policies true. It's why I think eventually his son-in-law Kushner will have his ear out of all the factions, because he operates in a more centrist fashion. Bannon is going to get dumped eventually, because he's too extreme and the American public doesn't want to hear his non-sense rhetoric, we just want to be successful.

He won't be that stupid. Bannon getting dumped made me laughing out loud. "Non-sense rhetoric"... Well, if it doesn't make sense to you then it needn't to be non-sense. Maybe it highly makes sense and you're the non-sense guy, huh?

Also, it is pretty funny how hypocrite the Left is once again.

They "borked", blocked, bulllied and filibustered judicial nominees years before the GOP did it (they did it with Nixon, with Reagan, with the Bushes). The GOP never blocked a SCOTUS pick before Garland.  It's always the same melody: If we do it, it ist right cause we are the morally ones. But if they do it with us, it is shameful. Simply pathetic and funny.

Actually ask yourself two questions:

1. Why did he nominate Kagan and Sotomajor while a way more qualified Garland was possible?
2. Isn't it simply fair to get a SCOTUS pick who is as conservative as Kagan and Sotomajor are liberal?
Klartext89

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »

Accusing anyone you don't like of being homophobic, misogynistic, or racist lost it's effectiveness years ago

Correct, people are tired of the left-wing bullsh**t bingo and everyone knows that it doesn't matter whom a GOP President is nominating cause the Democrats will play the name-calling game against everyone.

Pryor is the real Deal, do it Trump!
politics_king
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:44 AM »

Correct, people are tired of the left-wing bullsh**t bingo and everyone knows that it doesn't matter whom a GOP President is nominating cause the Democrats will play the name-calling game against everyone.

It still needs to be brought up though. Most Americans see each other as equals, and I really believe that. You can't delegitimize any voting bloc in America because how diverse we are to the core. We are a melting pot and any smart politician will say, "Hey. We live in a great country where we except anyone. You want to live in my state and produce, I agree with that. Though, the minute you want to infringe on my rights... Be ready. I'll tell you that me personally doesn't like abortion but it should be a women's right to choose. Because at the end of the day, do we want a society that's like... "In Iowa, we went pro-life but if you cross the border to Illinois they'll give you anything you want." No.

We don't want an underground market for that, I know a lot of women that have told me that abortion is not only a hard decision it might be the only one. It has to do with economics or the fact that this dude isn't responsible. We need responsible sex-education, because Abortion is a hard term to go with. Not only for the mother but the father, though... And I am 100% on board with this, you don't know what it's like to be a woman and make that decision. I feel if we had responsible sex-education then we'd be ok with it. I've heard every-side of the story and I don't think anyone is wrong. If we promoted condoms, birth control and plan-b then we're good as a society.

At the end of the day though, I've never heard a woman say and I can be completely wrong in a magnanimous relationship can say, "I'm glad we had that abortion." That's crazy talk, it's about education of the mind and society.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »

Trump says he will announce his pick next week. The front-runner appears to be Gorsuch.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »

It still needs to be brought up though. Most Americans see each other as equals, and I really believe that. You can't delegitimize any voting bloc in America because how diverse we are to the core. We are a melting pot and any smart politician will say, "Hey. We live in a great country where we except anyone. You want to live in my state and produce, I agree with that. Though, the minute you want to infringe on my rights... Be ready. I'll tell you that me personally doesn't like abortion but it should be a women's right to choose. Because at the end of the day, do we want a society that's like... "In Iowa, we went pro-life but if you cross the border to Illinois they'll give you anything you want." No.

We don't want an underground market for that, I know a lot of women that have told me that abortion is not only a hard decision it might be the only one. It has to do with economics or the fact that this dude isn't responsible. We need responsible sex-education, because Abortion is a hard term to go with. Not only for the mother but the father, though... And I am 100% on board with this, you don't know what it's like to be a woman and make that decision. I feel if we had responsible sex-education then we'd be ok with it. I've heard every-side of the story and I don't think anyone is wrong. If we promoted condoms, birth control and plan-b then we're good as a society.

At the end of the day though, I've never heard a woman say and I can be completely wrong in a magnanimous relationship can say, "I'm glad we had that abortion." That's crazy talk, it's about education of the mind and society.

If you look through some of the stories on NARAL's site, you will see women that were quite happy to get their abortion and don't even hint at it being a hard decision. There are people who actually like, and perhaps even love, abortion.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »

Trump says he will announce his pick next week. The front-runner appears to be Gorsuch.

Gorsuch (from what I can tell) appears to be right of Kennedy but left of Roberts. Pro life but uncontroversial on other issues.

Honestly, *if* he's the pick, he's the one I was hoping for. Pryor and Sykes are both so out there getting a mainstream conservative like Gorsuch is a relief
I'm getting worried about Sykes pulling a Kennedy and supporting Roe if she is confirmed.  I hope he goes with Pryor, but it seems like Gorsuch is publicly pro-life as well.  I'm not quite sure about Hardiman.

It's been suggested Sykes is to the right of Pryor so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea from
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »

Even Johnny Manziel knows that Trump has no reason to chase the haters.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

Gorsuch seems a quality nominee I can support. It would be a good choice.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »

Even Johnny Manziel knows that Trump has no reason to chase the haters.

I doubt he gets put on SCOTUS, but Sandoval back on the bench (perhaps the 9th Circuit?) would not surprise me. Apparently he'd like to be a judge again
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »

Gorsuch (from what I can tell) appears to be right of Kennedy but left of Roberts. Pro life but uncontroversial on other issues.

Honestly, *if* he's the pick, he's the one I was hoping for. Pryor and Sykes are both so out there getting a mainstream conservative like Gorsuch is a relief

It's been suggested Sykes is to the right of Pryor so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea from

Andrew Schafly put out a memo opposing Sykes saying that she had twice ruled against pro-lifers.  He expressed some concern about Gorsuch as well, but I have seen a convincing rebuttal that he would be 100% pro-life.  Remember, we thought Souter and Kennedy were going to be conservatives.  I'm for Pryor since he seems to be the only sure thing (how is it that all Democratic appointees wind up being staunch liberals, but ours go all over the place?).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »

Clearly we should wait until after the 2020 election. The American people deserve to have their voice heard, after all.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »

Sandoval would be a sound justice, but he's basically a Kennedy conservative, meaning the chance that Trump would appoint him is basically zero.

I would never support confirming Pryor. Sykes and Gorsuch...let's hold the hearing and see what they say.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »

Gorusch seems like he'd actually move the court a bit to the left. The lack of a Scalia-esque old-school rejectionist would change the climate a lot.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is perspective, but it seems like Dems would be stupid to try to stop him if he's the nominee.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

In addition to those previous reports about Gorsuch, WashPost sources say Trump's top candidates are "William Pryor of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta, Neil Gorsuch of the 10th Circuit in Denver, Thomas Hardiman of the 3rd Circuit in Philadelphia and Raymond Kethledge of the 6th Circuit in Cincinnati."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/trump-close-to-naming-nominee-for-supreme-court/2017/01/24/d47c75a0-e278-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_scotus815p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.bcd08fccd82a
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »

In addition to those previous reports about Gorsuch, WashPost sources say Trump's top candidates are "William Pryor of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta, Neil Gorsuch of the 10th Circuit in Denver, Thomas Hardiman of the 3rd Circuit in Philadelphia and Raymond Kethledge of the 6th Circuit in Cincinnati."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/trump-close-to-naming-nominee-for-supreme-court/2017/01/24/d47c75a0-e278-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_scotus815p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.bcd08fccd82a

Anything big to know about Hardiman or Kethledge?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies