Is it normal to get mad when someone tells you to pray?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is it normal to get mad when someone tells you to pray?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is it normal to get mad when someone tells you to pray?  (Read 2867 times)
FDRfan1985
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »

I just feel like someone being told to pray is a cop out answer that really doesn't accomplish anything towards finding a solution to the real problem a person is dealing with.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »

If they just suggest it, no. If they say you ought to, yes.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »

I think it depends on how they say it. I'm more religious than most, but more than a few times people who have told me to pray in such-and-such a situation have been real jerks about it.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »

Never happened to me, so idk.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »

"Is it normal to get mad when someone tells you to pray?"

If you're younger than 15 years old, yes.

If you're between 15 and 25, it should just make you kind of introspective.

If you're older than 25 you should be the one telling other people to pray.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »

If they just suggest it, no. If they say you ought to, yes.

Pretty much, yeah.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »

Unless you're one of those weird hardcore atheists and the person asking you knows this (and EVERYBODY knows the hardcore atheist), then no, something as innocuous as that should not make one mad.  Why would it?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »

I just feel like someone being told to pray is a cop out answer that really doesn't accomplish anything towards finding a solution to the real problem a person is dealing with.
Would you feel the same way if they told you to meditate?

Of cours ebeing told to pray because you need a new car right now so you can get to work... seems like a cop out. 

But if you're just really stressing out about stuff.. or even about the car situation.. it might help to pray even just because you're consciously working things out in your mind. 

It can be helpful in the same way meditation or journaling can be helpful.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2017, 09:42:30 PM by DC Al Fine »

As others have said, it depends on the context. They could be jerks or you could be one of those people who can't accept people showing concern the 'wrong way'. It really depends on the situation.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »

Angry? Probably not.

No one has suggested such an action to me in well over 25 years, and if they did now, I would regard the suggestion as a non sequitur, and hopefully approach someone with a more helpful suggestion!

But I doubt at this stage of my adult life that I would approach a person who would suggest such an action in the first place.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:11 AM »

Angry? Probably not.

No one has suggested such an action to me in well over 25 years, and if they did now, I would regard the suggestion as a non sequitur, and hopefully approach someone with a more helpful suggestion!

But I doubt at this stage of my adult life that I would approach a person who would suggest such an action in the first place.

Wow, this might actually be the most insufferably smug and euphoric way humanly possible to word this. Especially the last sentence--nice to know religious people exude some sort of aura that you can detect to avoid accidentally confiding a problem in one of us.

You still sucking up to Trump, by the way?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »

Angry? Probably not.

Wow, this might actually be the most insufferably smug and euphoric way humanly possible to word this. Especially the last sentence--nice to know religious people exude some sort of aura that you can detect to avoid accidentally confiding a problem in one of us.

Well sure. If they start talking about feeding the homeless, STAY AWAY!!!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »

It's not something I tend to run into in Scotland. We're (and most of Europe would probably be the same) just culturaly different. Even as someone who spent his formative years in Catholic school, prayer was communal or private. No one really offered it up as a course of action because you were either inclined to resort to it privately or not.

I would hope my beliefs would be respected enough to not be asked or recommended prayer but I'm not offended by it. It's only really been suggested by anti gay Christians I've run up against where I would take the suggestion as an offence for glaringly obvious reasons.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »

I'm more secular than your average Christian, and I view religion as an extremely private thing ... I don't really want to discuss it with someone, and somebody telling me "to pray" definitely crosses that line; mind your own business.

However, it certainly wouldn't make me mad.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »

Not something I've ever come across. Like I'm presuming that we aren't counting things like "let us pray" addressed to the congregation in a religious service here are we.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »

Angry? Probably not.

You still sucking up to Trump, by the way?

Hi, Nathan! I had lost interest, decided to check back to see if the place exploded or not as a result of the election, and voila, I'm sucked back into this. Wink Did not miss it. Did miss it. And I'm composing a reply that surprises me, because there are more constructive things for me to be doing at 11:00 p.m., like getting sleep.

The election is a different issue. The Democrat ran the worst campaign from that party in my lifetime, so we'll see.

As to the issue at hand. There is nothing 'euphoric' about being non-religious, but perhaps 'euphoric' as a choice adjective says more about you than me.

Anyway, it's possible that I never explained this (because I lack the patience and time), but what bothers me is the SMUG self-righteousness of someone who would assume that their own personal, weird beliefs would benefit others if others would adopt them. Really, I do not care what people believe or choose to accept. It's when they go around throwing it at other people that I begin to object and to have a problem. No one has ever knocked on my door with a pamphlet explaining why evolution by natural selection, despite the evidence for it, is "right." However, people have knocked on my door with pamphlets explaining why various mythological stories are crucial to my life. I don't see it. And of course they have no evidence other than that their stories were found in an old book. That's my issue.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 04:20:33 AM »

Fair enough, although I'll point out that I was using "euphoric" with its meme meaning, not its literal meaning.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »

I'm not a big fan of anyone telling me what to do, but I think it depends on how they ask, and what their body language is when they ask you to pray.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 09:54:44 PM »

"Normal" is defined by context. So, it depends.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 01:04:23 AM »

"Normal" is defined by context. So, it depends.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »

Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

In my philosophy club in undergrad we had this guy come to a few meetings who got offended if people said "bless you" when he sneezed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »

In my philosophy club in undergrad we had this guy come to a few meetings who got offended if people said "bless you" when he sneezed.

Going the other way, I typically am quite touched, when someone says that they will pray for me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »

If you've told them before you don't pray (or at least that you don't pray in the manner they suggest), then yes.

If, as with what Andrew recounted as having happened to him, they are telling you to pray as a passive-aggressive way of telling you are a sinner, then hell yes.

But it general it's not normal to get mad when prayer is suggested.  I think prayer, when done right, is a practice that can be helpful even to atheists.  That's because prayer can be a means of reflection on what we are thankful for, what problems we need to deal with, and of dedicating ourselves toward promoting the general welfare for ourselves and our posterity.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 03:31:36 AM »

Depends on who, what's the situation and how logical it is to suggest that. but, no, usually I don't get mad unless it's said in an arrogant manner.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies