Opinion of Senator Lamar Alexander's Actions in the DeVos Hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:55:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Senator Lamar Alexander's Actions in the DeVos Hearing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Senator Lamar Alexander's Actions in the DeVos Hearing
Freedom Actions

Horrible Actions

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Opinion of Senator Lamar Alexander's Actions in the DeVos Hearing  (Read 2343 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »

Muh precedent*.
*Note: May not be actual precedent.

C-Span Link
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:40 AM »

There have been several breaks from Alexander's supposed claim to precedent. What is a true defiance of precedent is the nomination of an Education Secretary without extensive experience in the education system. This was intentional for the purpose of overriding Democratic concerns and objections, thereby silencing dissent from the minority.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

There have been several breaks from Alexander's supposed claim to precedent. What is a true defiance of precedent is the nomination of an Education Secretary without extensive experience in the education system. This was intentional for the purpose of overriding Democratic concerns and objections, thereby silencing dissent from the minority.

I mean, there was never any question about it being an attempt to cut the Democrat's ability to ask questions. It just seems odd to me that you would put politics and procedure over asking questions. And that goes beyond Senator Alexander. I guarantee that some of the Republicans on that committee had actual concerns but chose not to air them because the nominee was of their political party.

The craziest thing to me was that the precedent that Alexander brought up seemed to be based on the precedent that Republicans felt satisfied with a single round of questioning in the past, rather than a precedent of Republicans being denied a second round of questioning.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »

-stick tap-

Very well put. I know it was talked about heavily when she was first nominated, but the fact that we are not discussing Betsy DeVos as an active threat to public education is sad, frankly. Many of Trump's nominees are unfit to hold the positions that they're nominated for, yet none strike me as more of a threat to destroy the thing that they're supposed to oversee than DeVos.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »

I don't know why anyone needed more time. It's obvious that she's not qualified to lead the department, even if her only intention was to preside over its dismantling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies