Cathy McMorris-Rodgers booed and heckled out of health care townhall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cathy McMorris-Rodgers booed and heckled out of health care townhall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cathy McMorris-Rodgers booed and heckled out of health care townhall  (Read 912 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:33:53 AM »

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/01/17/crowd-calls-bullsht-on-gop-congresswoman-who-voted-to-repeal-obamacare-video/

The revolution is beginning to take shape.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:29:55 AM »

Wonderful! Let's see many more rallies like that.

And GOP let's be clear, you are going to get the boot if you don't keep health care in place for your American family. We're counting on you to do the right thing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »

The vapid and empty text of Cathy's speech didn't help. I would have booed her just for that. If I want froth I buy a beer. I don't want it in a speech. It's insulting to the audience, implying that the speaker thinks they are a bunch of dumbs.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:49:35 AM »

One more time and I'll call this a pattern.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »

Cathy could be vulnerable. The best Dem would be somebody not named Joe Pakootas or Ben Stuckart
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

Get her the hell out of office.  She's terrible.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »

McMorris-Rogers is generally well-respected by Washington moderates because she has a no-nonsense, "let's get down to business" approach to legislating. Patty Murray has the same role on the other side of the aisle. I think Torie hit the nail on the head. It's not so much the fact that she wants to repeal Obamacare that got her heckled, it's that she's clearly cozying up to Trump for personal gain, rather than trying to be a conservative voice for reform.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »

I wonder if a formidable backlash could be brewing. If you go by the polls at least, it seems like by mid-late 2009 popular opinion had already turned on Democrats. It's conceivable we see a similar reaction here.

Obviously it is too soon to say one way or another, but given the nature of Trump, his deep unpopularity and the current GOP agenda, I think all the pieces are there for one.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »

I wonder if a formidable backlash could be brewing. If you go by the polls at least, it seems like by mid-late 2009 popular opinion had already turned on Democrats. It's conceivable we see a similar reaction here.

Obviously it is too soon to say one way or another, but given the nature of Trump, his deep unpopularity and the current GOP agenda, I think all the pieces are there for one.

I concur. The only question that remains is how that backlash manifests. If the Democrats prove that they haven't learned enough, then imagine the despair of the populace when they sense that both political parties and even a foolishly believed outsider don't have their best interests at heart; that no genuine, positive reform is on the horizon.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2017, 02:51:08 PM by putins lapdog »

I concur. The only question that remains is how that backlash manifests. If the Democrats prove that they haven't learned enough, then imagine the despair of the populace when they sense that both political parties and even a foolishly believed outsider don't have their best interests at heart; that no genuine, positive reform is on the horizon.

I guess it depends on who becomes DNC Chairman.  If Ellison wins, Bernie will be touring the country organizing rallies on healthcare, education and other issues.  If Perez wins, the Democratic response will be super-expensive dinners with Clooney and other mega donors.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

I guess it depends on who becomes DNC Chairman.  If Ellison wins, Bernie will be touring the country organizing rallies on healthcare, education and other issues.  If Perez wins, the Democratic response will be super-expensive dinners with Clooney and other mega donors.
Well Perez is not winning so Bernie rallies it is
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »

I support Ellison, but the idea that Perez is some insider big money corporatist hack is hilarious.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »

We got lucky with Trump. His lack of self-control and daily insults will only whip up the left unlike anyone before. Nixon and Bush whipped up the left but they acted too decent so it didnt have much effect. Trump on the other hand is not a decent person but a genuine terrible human being and bully.

Never in my life have I seen so many of my friends who were apolitical now participating due to Trump

I expect that there will be 'high' turnout in the midterms if this does mobilize the apolitical.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

I distinctly remember doing this stuff in 2010 and being called "astroturf." Now it's a revolution. Lame.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »

We got lucky with Trump. His lack of self-control and daily insults will only whip up the left unlike anyone before. Nixon and Bush whipped up the left but they acted too decent so it didnt have much effect. Trump on the other hand is not a decent person but a genuine terrible human being and bully.

Never in my life have I seen so many of my friends who were apolitical now participating due to Trump

I expect that there will be 'high' turnout in the midterms if this does mobilize the apolitical.

Plus potentially driving independents to Democrats in droves. A good year for Democrats will also come down to winning over other various groups. This is what puzzles me so much about the GOP right now - why go so hard on healthcare right out of the gate? Just talking about changing Medicare, let alone actually doing it, will inevitably stir up old voters - people Republicans disproportionately rely on. If they bungle this repeal-and-replace, the GOP will be blamed when millions lose their health insurance and/or premiums skyrocket. It would be a political disaster. It really would have made more sense to punt this issue until after the 2018 midterms so they would have had 2 years to make a slew of smaller policy changes that don't light a fire under the electorate's collective butts. Instead, they are fixing to overreach like crazy. Surely they must understand they are playing with fire right now?

At any rate, it is encouraging to see increasing amounts of energy regarding all of this. As I was saying before, it really seems like all the pieces of a backlash puzzle are on the table. We just need to put it together now.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:33 PM »

Plus potentially driving independents to Democrats in droves. A good year for Democrats will also come down to winning over other various groups. This is what puzzles me so much about the GOP right now - why go so hard on healthcare right out of the gate? Just talking about changing Medicare, let alone actually doing it, will inevitably stir up old voters - people Republicans disproportionately rely on. If they bungle this repeal-and-replace, the GOP will be blamed when millions lose their health insurance and/or premiums skyrocket. It would be a political disaster. It really would have made more sense to punt this issue until after the 2018 midterms so they would have had 2 years to make a slew of smaller policy changes that don't light a fire under the electorate's collective butts. Instead, they are fixing to overreach like crazy. Surely they must understand they are playing with fire right now?

At any rate, it is encouraging to see increasing amounts of energy regarding all of this. As I was saying before, it really seems like all the pieces of a backlash puzzle are on the table. We just need to put it together now.

Why care about the voters when even if you are a rep that loses in 2018 the corporations will give large rewards for loosening regulations and screwing the poor?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »

Also if the white senior vote goes for democrats or even a narrow loss, because of a medicare backlash, the house is gone for the GOP, and the gerrymander is backfiring massively and causing the majority of state delegations to be majority democratic.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »

There's been a backlash brewing since November 9th. The more these people are ignored and/or mocked, the bigger it's going to get. She's definitely facing this as a result not only to her vote against Obamacare, but her defense of Trump after Pussygate.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »

Sounds like Democrats are DESPERATELY trying to craft the narrative that it's "2009 all over again".  #Sad #Unoriginal
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

Sounds like Democrats are DESPERATELY trying to craft the narrative that it's "2009 all over again".  #Sad #Unoriginal
You're right, it'll be a lot worse this time.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »

regarding healthcare - and only healthcare - this is at least possible, IF ryan really is trying to push through his kind of reforms.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies