Will there be a leftist version of the Tea Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will there be a leftist version of the Tea Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will there be a leftist version of the Tea Party?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Will there be a leftist version of the Tea Party?  (Read 1720 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »

Due to Donald Trump's presidency, will we witness the emergence of a leftist version of the Tea Party that would have the objective of orienting the Democratic Party more to the left.

And would it encourage the nomination of a presidential candidate in Bernie Sanders' style or Bernie Sanders himself in 2020?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »

I have a feeling it's already happening. There's plenty of leftist news sources like TYT, Humanist Report and Secular Talk that are already popular, and you have growing podcasts like Chapo Trap House and Cumtown. I have a good feeling you'll have a ton of "Green Tea Party"ers in public office by 2018.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »

Most Likely.   And if the Trump administration continues on the hellhole path it's on, thank goodness there will be leftist Tea Party.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

There was a 'Coffee Party' thing a few years ago IIRC.
Hillary Lost
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »

You never know.  There basically is one consisting of people like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. 
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »

>Am actively devoting my pre law school professional life to trying to make this a reality.
Hillary Lost
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »

>Am actively devoting my pre law school professional life to trying to make this a reality.

What type of law?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »

What type of law?

Haven't applied yet, and won't at least through the 2018 election cycle, but I'm thinking some form of small scale transactional general practice
Hillary Lost
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

What type of law?

Haven't applied yet, and won't at least through the 2018 election cycle, but I'm thinking some form of small scale transactional general practice

You'd like to start a liberal version of the tea party?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »

What type of law?

start is a strong word (not THAT much of an ego) but I definitely think it should happen and will help anyone working toward it.
Hillary Lost
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »

What type of law?

start is a strong word (not THAT much of an ego) but I definitely think it should happen and will help anyone working toward it.

You already basically have it among half of elected Democrats in the House and Senate.  While I strongly disagree with Bernie Sanders he at least had conviction and stood for something.  Him and Elizabeth Warren would be part of your tea party wing while Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden would be more establishment candidates.  I wouldn't mind seeing these left and right wings become part of the same bird either.  For example, I can get behind lowering the cost of college tuition and healthcare even if it means raising taxes.  Other things are income gaps, minimum wage being a few dollars higher, and prison reform. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

The real reason the Democrats need their own Tea Party is to prevent the Establishment Dems from going full Globalist to counter Trump's Republican Nationalist movement.  

The Democratic Party should not be Globalist, and I really do think that's what the Establishment elite in the party want for the big donor bucks.  

Globalist vs Nationalist is a losing ideological battle in the US...it won't work.
Hillary Lost
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »

The real reason the Democrats need their own Tea Party is to prevent the Establishment Dems from going full Globalist to counter Trump's Republican Nationalist movement.  

The Democratic Party should not be Globalist, and I really do think that's what the Establishment elite in the party want for the big donor bucks.  

Globalist vs Nationalist is a losing ideological battle in the US...it won't work.

Yea like Clinton getting money from countries that sponsor terrorism.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »

Maybe. But probably not.

The Tea Party were mostly a "small government" clique to the extreme.  They couldn't be swayed by stuff.  Democrats are big government types and Trump is a big government Republican, so it's very likely that Trump could offer them something to get them to cave.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:03:42 PM »

Yea like Clinton getting money from countries that sponsor terrorism.
We are Nationalist until something happens and then we are not for a few years. See WW1(for about 2 years) and WW2
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »

Maybe. But probably not.

The Tea Party were mostly a "small government" clique to the extreme.  They couldn't be swayed by stuff.  Democrats are big government types and Trump is a big government Republican, so it's very likely that Trump could offer them something to get them to cave.

That's an awful description, and not remotely accurate.

The two parties (and voting coalitions) are further apart then they ever have been.   
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »

We already have the BernieBros which I can see turn as ugly as the Tea Party/Alt-Right.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »

Yes, but it's a reason why I am a hard core centrist. Purists on both sides are crazed. I am beholden to no one. I speak the truth. I offend both sides and I am so proud.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »

Yes, but it's a reason why I am a hard core centrist.

A "hard core" centrist?  Is that like ordering a drink whose size is "extra medium"?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

Maybe, but I think the reports of a Democratic schism are greatly exaggerated. For example, we won't have some Bernie bro turfing out Senators like McCaskill and Heitkamp for being too moderate and then losing the general in a landslide. It might happen in some safe-D districts, but the Democrats have more of a spectrum of beliefs, rather than several discrete and competing groups like the Republicans have with the religious right, business conservatives, Paulites, Trumpists, etc.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:43 AM »

Yes, but it would probably have less influence than the original Tea Party.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:57 AM »

Maybe, but I think the reports of a Democratic schism are greatly exaggerated. For example, we won't have some Bernie bro turfing out Senators like McCaskill and Heitkamp for being too moderate and then losing the general in a landslide. It might happen in some safe-D districts, but the Democrats have more of a spectrum of beliefs, rather than several discrete and competing groups like the Republicans have with the religious right, business conservatives, Paulites, Trumpists, etc.

Yes, this is why I don't think there'll be a leftist Tea Party for those reasons you outlined. Democrats are (or at least claim to be) a big tent party where liberals, moderates, and conservatives are welcomed. Remember that the Tea Party cost Republicans the Senate majority in 2010 when nutjobs like O'Donnell, Angle, and Buck were nominated (and in 2012 also with Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock). They don't need to be out there engaging in Berniebot tactics and going against moderate/conservative/jfern-like "neoliberal warmongering corporatist" red state Democrats only to have them lose the primary and then the Republican candidate handily win those seats. The Tea Party was more united in their hatred of Obama and "hands off my health care," which motivated them to turn out and vote.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »

Probably not identical, but there will be a bat**** insane "leftist" movement rearing its ugly head in the next few years.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

Probably not identical, but there will be a bat**** insane "leftist" movement rearing its ugly head in the next few years.

What's insane about believing in climate change, having better regulations on big banks, and supporting women's reproductive rights?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

I'm already seeing some of my Dem friends say stuff like "globalization is inevitable, you can't bring jobs back".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies