Can I get a brief update?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:08:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can I get a brief update?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can I get a brief update?  (Read 964 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »

So I see we now have a new (for me) Modadmin. I fully acknowledge the laziness of this post, but could some helpful posters summarize the relevant changes that have gone on over the past year or so to catch me up? I’m hoping to actually stick around this time... my last few breaks haven’t been intentional. Life just gets busy, and when you’re not in the habit of visiting the forum, it’s easy to forget.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »

Virginia did some top notch work on a software update, that's the biggest thing IMHO.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:10:14 AM »

Any thread having to do with guns is an [inks]show.  Everyone should be banned and since they aren't banned people are mad at the mods.  There is a neocon who wants to transition into a goose.  There is another who is obsessed with black booty.  BRTD is utterly unchanged. Oh, and Dave moved to NY.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:24:31 AM »

Everyone should be banned and since they aren't banned people are mad at the mods.
to be fair, they did stop banning admitted trolls, socks used to cheat at games and posters who clearly are not real people (the original purpose of socks on the internet, to make their political enemy look stupid).  This is not a good thing and people (ok, mostly just me) are going to bitch about it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »

Everyone should be banned and since they aren't banned people are mad at the mods.
to be fair, they did stop banning admitted trolls, socks used to cheat at games and posters who clearly are not real people (the original purpose of socks on the internet, to make their political enemy look stupid).  This is not a good thing and people (ok, mostly just me) are going to bitch about it.

The complaining certainly isn't limited to you, but if inks wants to wade into that he can go to the Atlas page.  As far as people being mad at the mods, well that's something that has existed since the beginning of time.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »

So I see we now have a new (for me) Modadmin. I fully acknowledge the laziness of this post, but could some helpful posters summarize the relevant changes that have gone on over the past year or so to catch me up? I’m hoping to actually stick around this time... my last few breaks haven’t been intentional. Life just gets busy, and when you’re not in the habit of visiting the forum, it’s easy to forget.

I had been the secondary modadmin since the Summer of 2015, but I resigned from the mod team completely after the 2016 election, with Dave accepting my resignation in March of last year:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259967.0

Muon replaced me in that Modadmin slot, and then, apparently, shortly after that, Nym basically stopped visiting the forum and so Muon was the sole active poster with ban powers and so became the decider on bans by default.  Virginia then became a Modadmin as well when Dave adopted her forum updates, but I think she said that may or may not be temporary, and I’m unclear on what the current power structure is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »

Things are in transition, but one thing that has changed, is the importance of reported posts that have material that is clearly a violation of the TOS. Muon2 reviews such reported posts carefully, and cares a lot about their number. So in that sense, the posters at large have more power, when they report posts that are clearly out of line. Posts close to the line, have far less impact. Punishment comes from a body of reported unacceptable posts, plus a mod putting a poster's name up as a separate thread. Then Muon2 reviews the reported posts, and makes a decision. As things evolve, maybe he will consult Virginia more as to those decisions. We shall see. As to both Muon2 and Virginia, I think they take the opinions of other mods seriously, and try to be cautious and do the right thing that will stand up well to scrutiny, with a substantial paper trail.

In other news, it has been quite a long time, since there has been much contentiousness in the Cave. There are some disagreements, but I think most Mods respect each other very much - and yes, like each other.  Who knew?  Smiley

Just my two cents.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »

Any thread having to do with guns is an [inks]show.  Everyone should be banned and since they aren't banned people are mad at the mods.  There is a neocon who wants to transition into a goose.  There is another who is obsessed with black booty.  BRTD is utterly unchanged. Oh, and Dave moved to NY.

No more I-MA avatar?Huh That just seems wrong.

I had been the secondary modadmin since the Summer of 2015, but I resigned from the mod team completely after the 2016 election, with Dave accepting my resignation in March of last year:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259967.0

Muon replaced me in that Modadmin slot, and then, apparently, shortly after that, Nym basically stopped visiting the forum and so Muon was the sole active poster with ban powers and so became the decider on bans by default.  Virginia then became a Modadmin as well when Dave adopted her forum updates, but I think she said that may or may not be temporary, and I’m unclear on what the current power structure is.

Bummer... I always thought you were one of the best and fairest mods (I acknowledge, that’s probably like the kiss of Judas coming from me). Glad to see you’re still here though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »

Things are in transition, but one thing that has changed, is the importance of reported posts that have material that is clearly a violation of the TOS. Muon2 reviews such reported posts carefully, and cares a lot about their number. So in that sense, the posters at large have more power, when they report posts that are clearly out of line. Posts close to the line, have far less impact. Punishment comes from a body of reported unacceptable posts, plus a mod putting a poster's name up as a separate thread. Then Muon2 reviews the reported posts, and makes a decision. As things evolve, maybe he will consult Virginia more as to those decisions. We shall see. As to both Muon2 and Virginia, I think they take the opinions of other mods seriously, and try to be cautious and do the right thing that will stand up well to scrutiny, with a substantial paper trail.

In other news, it has been quite a long time, since there has been much contentiousness in the Cave. There are some disagreements, but I think most Mods respect each other very much - and yes, like each other.  Who knew?  Smiley

Just my two cents.

So do the mods do anything other than provide a suggestion? What’s the point of having mods for each board if the decision on reported posts is up to Muon?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »

Welcome back Inks!

So do the mods do anything other than provide a suggestion? What’s the point of having mods for each board if the decision on reported posts is up to Muon?

I think he means for bans/etc. Basic moderation is still very much decentralized.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »

Welcome back Inks!

I think he means for bans/etc. Basic moderation is still very much decentralized.

Ahh, now that I reread it with that in mind, I see what he was saying now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 11:16:24 PM »

Bummer... I always thought you were one of the best and fairest mods (I acknowledge, that’s probably like the kiss of Judas coming from me). Glad to see you’re still here though.

Thanks!

I was thoroughly burned out on modding after the 2016 election.  I could have technically remained a mod while just slacking off on my duties as many others have done, but I was too OCD to do that.  The only way out was to make a clean break, and not even have access to the mod board at all anymore.  (Because if I could still post there, I'd end up getting involved in every discussion, and it had all become very tedious.)

I figured that since there were other people who actually *wanted* to do it, who were capable, I should just let them take my place.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

Welcome back. Ain't much goin' round here worth lawyering about.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »

Welcome back. Ain't much goin' round here worth lawyering about.

Thank you, and I’ll try to not lawyer too much around here Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies