Anyone watching the DNC Chair debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone watching the DNC Chair debate?  (Read 1992 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »

I think it's going on right now.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »

Yeah I tuned in like 15 minutes ago. Ellison is defending caucuses, and although he made a pretty good argument for them, Jehmu Greene of SC correctly pointed out that voters don't have time.

I also like Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend) and Jaime Harrison (SC Democratic Party Chair), but I realize that DNC chair isn't some kingmaker. I just want to win elections. Bernie people need to get this in their head.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:43 PM »

When I look at these candidates, I can only think of two words: Michael Steele
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

When I look at your posts, I can only think of two words: partisan hack.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »

Ellison had a lot of charisma, but I really liked Buttigieg's approach to the message delivery problem (arguably the worst problem the D party has).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:57:50 PM »

The Tea party happened under him so thanks?
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »

When I look at your posts, I can only think of two words: partisan hack.

-Me? Partisan? Hack? Absolutely not; just the opposite. I preferred Obama over Romney in 2012 (mostly because I really disliked Romney) and do not have much respect for the GOP establishment. I considered myself independent before 2016.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »

Ellison had a lot of charisma, but I really liked Buttigieg's approach to the message delivery problem (arguably the worst problem the D party has).

Ellison and Buttigieg are the two best options the party has..
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »

Is the debate available somewhere online?  I can't find it on youtube and you can usually find everything on youtube.
Eharding

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »

Is the debate available somewhere online?  I can't find it on youtube and you can usually find everything on youtube.

-HuffPo
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:44 AM »

Perez shouldn't even be No. 2 choice as of now after Ellison IMO ! Adds nothing !
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »

It sounds like Buttigieg is making a big impression?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 12:26:33 AM »

Perez shouldn't even be No. 2 choice as of now after Ellison IMO ! Adds nothing !

I saw bits and pieces thanks to Eharding, and he was acting like he's the frontrunner and a superstar and everyone else sitting there was a supporting character.  He was supposed to become DNC under Hillary according to that Politico leak, and he doesn't seem to realize that the Clintons are gone.  Tom, the Clintons are closing the Clinton Global Initiative (which they opened in 2005) due to a lack of donations.  They're powerless and lackeys like you are now irrelevant.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:02:17 AM »

It sounds like Buttigieg is making a big impression?

He's certainly moved up in my preference order, though it's only the opinion of the DNC members that matter. This race may be more open than some think.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »

Debates are pretty pointless for this position as only Party Chairs have a say.

Buttigieg impressed me a lot, though. I've always liked him, but I think he's not really in the right spot to be chair. Insufficient national connections and he needs those. Jamie Harrison also impressed me. Still rooting for Ellison, but I'd like to see most of these people go on to do great things, in some capacity. (Maybe Buttigieg could so something about recruiting Mayors? I don't know.)

The sole exception is Jehmu Greene. No idea why she's doing this.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »

Yeah I tuned in like 15 minutes ago. Ellison is defending caucuses, and although he made a pretty good argument for them, Jehmu Greene of SC correctly pointed out that voters don't have time.

I also like Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend) and Jaime Harrison (SC Democratic Party Chair), but I realize that DNC chair isn't some kingmaker. I just want to win elections. Bernie people need to get this in their head.

If you want to control the party, you have to control every piece of important machinery.

Deciding funding priorities, electoral methods, and various new initiatives sounds pretty important to me.
SCNCmod

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

Buttigieg is the Clear Choice IMO

(& he would have the confidence and support of BOTH Clinton & Sanders wing... since he didn't take sides)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »

(& he would have the confidence and support of BOTH Clinton & Sanders wing... since he didn't take sides)

No, he really wouldn't.

Sanders people have *their guy.* This isn't about asking for scraps from the establishment anymore.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »

No, he really wouldn't.

Sanders people have *their guy.* This isn't about asking for scraps from the establishment anymore.
I'm still with Keith, but if Buttigieg really didn't endorse either Clinton or Sanders in the primary,* then he is a de facto consensus candidate. The Clinton wing needs to give up some power, but the Sanders wing doesn't get everything either.

* I thought he did endorse Clinton in the primary, but there's a general point about the ideological middle ground within the Democratic Party (as opposed to the general polity) that needs to be made. Ideological purity is going to get us killed as much as DLC-bullsh**t that fails to energize.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2017, 12:43:51 AM by Chickenhawk »

No, he really wouldn't.

I'm still with Keith, but if Buttigieg really didn't endorse either Clinton or Sanders in the primary,* then he is a de facto consensus candidate. The Clinton wing needs to give up some power, but the Sanders wing doesn't get everything either.

* I thought he did endorse Clinton in the primary, but there's a general point about the ideological middle ground within the Democratic Party (as opposed to the general polity) that needs to be made. Ideological purity is going to get us killed as much as DLC-bullsh**t that fails to energize.

Eh. We should fight like the devil for everything, whether we get it or not is up to our opponents.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 01:15:17 AM »

No, he really wouldn't.

Eh. We should fight like the devil for everything, whether we get it or not is up to our opponents.
Sure. The real question is, will y'all keep calling compromises "scraps" when things don't go entirely your way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies