Who would be in a Democratic "shadow" government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who would be in a Democratic "shadow" government?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would be in a Democratic "shadow" government?  (Read 619 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »

I wonder, if it was common for the opposition party in the U.S. to form a shadow government, who would be in a Democratic shadow government?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »

I wonder, if it was common for the opposition party in the U.S. to form a shadow government, who would be in a Democratic shadow government?

It does not happen that way. The Democratic Party is very disorganized much as the Republicans were in early 2009. Just a reminder of how quickly things can change.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:11 AM »

It does not happen that way. The Democratic Party is very disorganized much as the Republicans were in early 2009. Just a reminder of how quickly things can change.

Yes, I know it doesn't happen that way.  My question is who would be in a Democratic party shadow government.  Do you even know what a shadow government/cabinet is?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »

Yes, I know it doesn't happen that way.  My question is who would be in a Democratic party shadow government.  Do you even know what a shadow government/cabinet is?

One meaning is that a Great Power (let us say China) already has a list of people that it can rely upon to form a government in a country that it suddenly must take over (for China, that is most likely North Korea) in the event of someone doing something incredibly stupid. The United States had such a shadow government for Iraq.   

Truth be told, the United States will have a dominant-Party system tomorrow, and any 'shadow government'  is likely being contemplated in China. That would be (and this applies to some US states, notably Alaska, Hawaii, California, Washington, Oregon, and Nevada in the event that such states would be split off from America) less militaristic and more amenable to free trade... 

Democrats can now concern themselves with keeping their political achievements from the New Deal to Obamacare from being destroyed or sold off to the bidder that the GOP chooses and working on getting whatever gains and protecting what little they have in the 2018 elections (the Democrats have more vulnerable Senate seats to protect, but they have some potential gains in Gubernatorial elections).  If they are fortunate, Democrats can have a mirror image of Ronald Reagan to face the sure failure that is Donald Trump and the offense that is Mike Pence -- and plenty of Senate seats open for challenge in 2020. .

People not rich can simply suffer for people who think them livestock at best and vermin at worst.  Just think about it: the Secretary of Education  that Donald Trump is a sister of the founder of the infamous Blackwater enterprise.  If you want some idea of what America will be like, then re-read Orwell's 1984 before it is banned here.

We Americans can perversely congratulate ourselves as we have just made Switzerland the world's oldest continuous democracy and India the most powerful democracy. We have elected a tyrannical boss and a Congress of his stooges. 

Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

This is a question set in a world where the opposition party forms a bizarro Cabinet that becomes the official government should they win the next election, right? Like in the UK?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »

This is a question set in a world where the opposition party forms a bizarro Cabinet that becomes the official government should they win the next election, right? Like in the UK?
Sort of. Their primary purpose is to provide criticism and alternatives to the policies and actions of the corresponding Cabinet Minister. They often, but not always, take the Cabinet position they shadowed.

Obviously, this is kind of a useless exercise because the US system of government is very different from the Westminster system. US Cabinet secretaries are chief executives of various bureaucracies rather than legislators responsible for crafting legislation.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »

Who is technically the vocal leader of the opposition right now? Some monster composed of Pelosi, Schumer, Bernie, and Warren?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »

Who is technically the vocal leader of the opposition right now? Some monster composed of Pelosi, Schumer, Bernie, and Warren?

Along with ranking members on committees... There's no good analog because the US isn't a parliamentary system.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »

I saw some articles going around that Clinton had most of her potential Cabinet slots filled. Podesta for State, Sheryl Sandberg for Treasury, Michele Flournoy for Defense, etc.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »

One meaning is that a Great Power (let us say China) already has a list of people that it can rely upon to form a government in a country that it suddenly must take over (for China, that is most likely North Korea) in the event of someone doing something incredibly stupid. The United States had such a shadow government for Iraq.   

Truth be told, the United States will have a dominant-Party system tomorrow, and any 'shadow government'  is likely being contemplated in China. That would be (and this applies to some US states, notably Alaska, Hawaii, California, Washington, Oregon, and Nevada in the event that such states would be split off from America) less militaristic and more amenable to free trade... 

Democrats can now concern themselves with keeping their political achievements from the New Deal to Obamacare from being destroyed or sold off to the bidder that the GOP chooses and working on getting whatever gains and protecting what little they have in the 2018 elections (the Democrats have more vulnerable Senate seats to protect, but they have some potential gains in Gubernatorial elections).  If they are fortunate, Democrats can have a mirror image of Ronald Reagan to face the sure failure that is Donald Trump and the offense that is Mike Pence -- and plenty of Senate seats open for challenge in 2020. .

People not rich can simply suffer for people who think them livestock at best and vermin at worst.  Just think about it: the Secretary of Education  that Donald Trump is a sister of the founder of the infamous Blackwater enterprise.  If you want some idea of what America will be like, then re-read Orwell's 1984 before it is banned here.

We Americans can perversely congratulate ourselves as we have just made Switzerland the world's oldest continuous democracy and India the most powerful democracy. We have elected a tyrannical boss and a Congress of his stooges. 

A shadow government is a government of an opposition government with Cabinet picks ready, and Cabinet picks are sitting members of the legislature(usually).

I presume the ranking members of Committes would do this. I. E. Ron Wyden, the ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, would be Shadow Treasury Secretary.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »

The closest we have to this in our system is the ranking members of committees, ready to replace the chairperson once their party becomes the majority.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »

Mostly correct, yes.  The shadow cabinet doesn't have to become an official government when the party wins the government, but everything else is correct.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »

I would say Schumer and Pelosi are the official party leaders.  In most countries the leader of the party is the leader of the parliamentary group, and since we have two houses, I would say the party has two leaders.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »

I saw some articles going around that Clinton had most of her potential Cabinet slots filled. Podesta for State, Sheryl Sandberg for Treasury, Michele Flournoy for Defense, etc.

Well yeah but Hillary doesn't have a leadership position in the party anymore.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies